A SILVER dime and Somebodys "2-Cents worth" on a string??

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A SILVER dime and Somebody's "2-Cents worth" on a string??

Found 11 May 2013: 1954-D silver dime, 10 clad quarters, 16 clad dimes, and 27 cents, including 2 wheat cents. Plus the 2 memorial cents on a string, but why??........Always a good day for me, when I find a silver coin!

003.JPG 004.JPG 001.JPG

Happy Hunting to ALL

Bill

Upvote 2

thegreatmerlin

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2013
rural america
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the string may be a necklace thread. it was not uncommon for a man to give his mother, girlfriend, etc., a necklace with a silver coin on it. it was kind of the same idea as the penny key chains that say "Keep me and you'll never go broke!" less wealthy people would usually hole the coin and string it; more wealthy people would have it placed in a pendant. the coins on the string may not be silver, but it could very well be one of these necklaces, perhaps a going away gift a man gave to his sweetheart before he went to Vietnam?

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The years on the "stringed" memorials were significant to someone for some personal reason, maybe? Happy Hunting, Sub

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread