a simple tip for beginners

T

tallpaul

read your instruction sheet, be4 you go out hunting, learn to ground balance, follow instructions carefully, one step at a time, choose your programme, or setting, and place coins in the ground at recorded depths and sweep them noting down all you can depth, lcd or meter reading, tone sound ect, spend a day doing this and getting to undertsand the basics of the machine, read the sheet, then when you do go out in the field, take your notes with you and instuction sheet, when you get a sigal look at your notes what number is on the lcd or meter, what did you sweep when you got that, what kind of tone was it, wow that was a silver i remember get digging, and in time and practice you'll be pulling out the good stuff,, have fun HH paul. o and dont forget to practice that pinpointiong, this really helps,, ive know to many give up on detecting because its taken them to long to recover, just stick at it and all will work out,.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can add to this thread is to not think of Treasure hunting as a way to make a profit. The first question most people ask you is, "What's the most expensive thing you've found." Again wanting to know if you are making a profit. If you want a profit, get a job.

Detecting is fun and learning your machine is fun too.

HH,
Sandman

OP
OP
T

tallpaul

all the people i know who detect have a job anyway,, dont really understand where your comeing from on this one sandman,, some use it as a profit as theres plenty good stuff to be found,, some like me just do it for fun,, but as time goes by you really want it even more i know i do, i love the gold and silver who dosent, its just a common quick question that all will ask , whats the most expensive thing ya found,, they all do, because it has a stigma that people do find really valuable things,, a guy near to me found an old 2000 year old gold torque holy cow this is going to net him around ?300,000 from the museum, another guy further down south at kent found a gold medievil challace cup huge,, he was paid out ?170,000,, its there its just hittin on it,, but like you say detecting is fun, the history is great, but i certainly dont see a problem with gettin a little rich if it happens, i know one guy who actually does do it for a living he just dissapeers all day, no one knows where he goes, he comes back and hes allways got something to sell for a days wage if he dont find one day he makes up twice the next or day after that,. he is doing what he likes the most and its rewarding him,. he's about 74 i believe what a guy, its only small stuff he finds but he's selling denerius and such for ?10 and ?20 a go, he did say he does alot of beach work, and gets all kinds of jewlery, he takes that to the jewlers and wieghs it in,. i wouldent do it for a liven dont think i could,, i earn plenty doing what i do anyway,. take it easy sandman HH Paul.

Hoggtyed

Sep 20, 2005
Central North Carolina
I understand where Sandman is comming from when I show friends my gold. They want to know where I got it, then how long it took? When I show them my coins maybe 20 to 30 cents worth of clad and a bag trash. The also ask where did you find it and how long did it take? When I tell them I have been to at least a half dozens places and spent hours worth of leisure time in the persuit I get an over whelming response: " Your frigging nuts!" and "You need a better hobby!" , "That ain't for me!" Of coarse I am thinking cool, less compition and more for me, LOL ;D

OP
OP
T

tallpaul

lol hogg,, i personnaly wouldent wnt to put anyone off detecting,, as its a great hobby,, and i welcome all to it,, i do understand what sandman was saying,, it was just not in relation to my thread, in a way,,. i would encourgae others to detect its a great hobby, and good for the health in a steady way, i too tell people you want find huge amounts in one area unless your really lucky, just being honest, some people ive shown my entire goodies from over the years, and yes again how long did it take to get that lot, my answer years,, some go quiet, some say yer but thats worth alot of dough, maybe so its up to them then,. its all good fun just being out with the tector.

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Treasure is different to different folks. I bought my first detector to get my fat a__ out of the house and make me walk around. I thought it would be cool to find a few bucks. Well, I have lost several pounds, my doctor is as happy as he gets, I've found a few dollars, and I've gained a whole new respect for anyone who is addicted to this great hobby.
I haven't found anything worth reporting yet but I will, it's just a matter of time. My "treasure" is a whole host of fantastic people who share and help and accept all my weirdness. (Okay, maybe not all)
Saturday, I spent three hours rigging a bracket and arms on my lawnmower so I could mount my CXII and deepseeker and ride all over my neighborhood. Jimmy(next door neighbor) just shook his head and asked if anyone had called the men in the white coats.
But anyone on here who read the Kansas article of the guy who mounted his deep seeker on a three wheeler probably understands.

grizzly bare

OP
OP
T

tallpaul

lol way ta go grizzly,, hey your doin fine losein all that wieght,, good on ya dude,, keep it up HH Paul

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, treasure is a state of mind Zeb. When I started I dug everything and my wife thought I was kidnapped I stayed out so long. One of my friends discovered me in a park in December kneeling on the frozen ground chopping away with a screwdriver to recover what I thought was a Wheatie. He told everyone about it. It was my second Wheatie and I didn't care as I was happy with it. It's all for fun and it beats painting the house again.

Take care People,
Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread