a skunk ill take any day of the week.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a skunk i'll take any day of the week.

Hey folks, i went to a local bank today to see what coins they had to sell me, i was able to get $40 in cwr nickels and $100 in cwr dimes... the dimes were a skunk, but each roll had 1 extra dime in it except for one which had 50, so i made out with $1.90 profit for buying somebody's dumps... not bad, it's like getting a silver anyway in extras !
this doesn't come close to all the cwr shortages i've encountered in the past, but it was sure a nice suprise. (i weigh my rolls before opening them to ensure accuracy and each roll came up 2g heavier(the weight of an extra dime)
hh
buff

Upvote 0

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll replace incorrect denominations or foreign coins with the correct ones, but I can't say that I've ever counted, let alone weighed, a single roll. I applaud you, BuffaloBoy, for your exactitude!

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am not a "cheap" person, I only weigh cwr dime rolls because of the shortages that come along with them(instead of counting out each individual roll), and when there's a shortage, i just take the hit, I just like to know why and how much, a few bucks isn't a factor to me, afterall, this is my hobby :)
I'll replace incorrect denominations or foreign coins with the correct ones, but I can't say that I've ever counted, let alone weighed, a single roll. I applaud you, BuffaloBoy, for your exactitude!

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice there Buff, not a Silver, but still the same value! Sorry it was a skunk on the Silver though, HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks mav, boxes have been terrible in all denominations for me, I know the silver comes in cycles, but this is one fat skunk!

5 dime boxes, nothing.
3 nickel boxes, nothing.
14 half dollar boxes, nothing.
I am not one to give up though and the hunt will continue :)
Nice there Buff, not a Silver, but still the same value! Sorry it was a skunk on the Silver though, HH, Maverick.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
It is better to be over 1 than short 1 dime in each roll. I dump every CWR into a Whitman dime tube and I can tell if the dime sticks up over the edge and then if I'm not sure I count them. I roll all my dumps so I try to make them right every time no matter what I get, it's funny but in the long run it almost balances out even with crooks making up 5 pence rolls or just short 5-6. Glad you were on the good end this time BB, hope those boxes start getting better for you. HH

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, i went to a local bank today to see what coins they had to sell me, i was able to get $40 in cwr nickels and $100 in cwr dimes... the dimes were a skunk, but each roll had 1 extra dime in it except for one which had 50, so i made out with $1.90 profit for buying somebody's dumps... not bad, it's like getting a silver anyway in extras !
this doesn't come close to all the cwr shortages i've encountered in the past, but it was sure a nice suprise. (i weigh my rolls before opening them to ensure accuracy and each roll came up 2g heavier(the weight of an extra dime)
hh
buff

I did a $100 in nickels and $300 in dimes today. I was shorted 4 nickels in one roll and then at the end I realized I was short an entire roll for a loss of $2.20. I didn't want to seem untrusting by recounting the rolls at the counter. Next time. I did get a buffalo and a war nickel. So probably a wash.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread