Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been working this one old home site that is now a field for about 3 years. It has produced a handful of large cents up to about 1830, a handful of early Indians, a couple of half cents, a bayonet, and a ton of buttons.....the problem is I have never worked at a site that had this much iron in it (one picture below is a magnet I raked through a 1x3' area I took the sod off a couple of weeks ago. I take a little at a time, and recently started digging pits that are 3x3x1.5' and am still finding a bed of nails at that 18" mark most of the time. The pits have thrown out lots of ceramic and a handful of buttons, but I know there are still coins there. One day when I was digging a pit out I put a clad dime in the soil before I swept it with the magnet, covered it over with an inch of dirt from the hole and got absolutely no conductive tone or even target trace on the CTX. It was TOTALLY masked with an inch of dirt and crumbled rust.

Anyway, last night I spent about an hour there just detecting instead of pit digging, and I got one low grunt I was able to isolate and managed to pull out a nice, early IHP. It's a pointed bust variety 1860 cent (I also dug the shieldless 1859 there a couple of years ago and an 1864 L variety, so the IHPs that have come out of here have been fantastic). Like I said above, it's not a major find at all, but for that particular site it's certainly significant because it proves there is still decent stuff masked and my efforts are not wasted! I guarantee my hunting partner and I have had our coils over that coin in the past because it's a small-ish area and we have absolutely hammered it, but finds still come about every so often.

Attachments

• iron.jpg
    iron.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 395
  • indianobv.JPG
    indianobv.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 95
  • indianrev.JPG
    indianrev.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Upvote 20

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! It sounds like you put in the work for it! I bet you'll keep finding goodies as you get more and more iron out of there... iron that size will surely mask most good signals. Keep it up and good luck!

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find! It sounds like you put in the work for it! I bet you'll keep finding goodies as you get more and more iron out of there... iron that size will surely mask most good signals. Keep it up and good luck!
I hope so - I think there's still some large cents in there. We have yet to find silver too, so maybe we'll get lucky there. That IHP was about 2 feet away from one of the pits I dug a couple of weeks ago, so those will eventually turn coins up as well if I just hit the right spot....the thing is there are nails to 18" deep at least, but every coin I've ever found there has been less than a few inches deep. This IHP came out with the plug last night, so I know there is deeper masked stuff for sure.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice IH find, congratulations! :occasion14:

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not bad for a fatty. They usually come up so toasted you can't even get a date out of them. 1860 is a less common date. Nice going.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not bad for a fatty. They usually come up so toasted you can't even get a date out of them. 1860 is a less common date. Nice going.
Thanks - it's the third early one I've pulled out of that site (1859 and 1864 L variety was the other), and the '64 looks like it was dropped on the way from the mint. The 1859 was in halfway decent shape until I "cleaned" it using that boiling peroxide method that a lot of people recommend.... not a fan of that at all....

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks - it's the third early one I've pulled out of that site (1859 and 1864 L variety was the other), and the '64 looks like it was dropped on the way from the mint. The 1859 was in halfway decent shape until I "cleaned" it using that boiling peroxide method that a lot of people recommend.... not a fan of that at all....

I found the whole set of fatties in my favorite park last year. Unfortunately they are quite toasted. Also found a monster 1864-L. As far as peroxide, it can work quite well on bronze Indians, but is a disaster on the copper nickel fatties. I use those cleaning pencils on most of my Indians.

fatty 20170202_123947.jpg 20170103_091951.jpg

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found the whole set of fatties in my favorite park last year. Unfortunately they are quite toasted. Also found a monster 1864-L. As far as peroxide, it can work quite well on bronze Indians, but is a disaster on the copper nickel fatties. I use those cleaning pencils on most of my Indians.
Can you paste a link or something or give me a brand name of those pencils you're talking about? I don't think I've heard of them. I use pencil erasers sometimes on mine...lol.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Targeting iron signals. Sifting soil. You are a real relic hunter in my book.

Keep it up. You find cool stuff.:thumb_up:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread