✅ SOLVED A small pile of lead in the desert. Please help identify.

Could be.:dontknow: but the signs look good for the site, the Romans used lead for a number of things and these could be make shift wheights of some sort.

SS

Upvote 0
Thanks to the both of you. I feel adequately convinced these are lead net weights. I'm going to call it solved until I find anything more convincing. And for the time being, I'm going to work on dating the objects. The finds at Bethsaida, according to one site, were from the mid-first century BC (Life and Land » Blog Archive » Text and Tell: The Excavations at Bethsaida).

It's a start.

In this area I've also found 40 million year old whale bones, shells, a turtle, and shark's tooth. I've found human remains at an unmarked site, and elsewhere ran into tomb-raiders in Graeco-Roman era tombs. I saw a perfectly preserved Roman fishing hook lying in the sand (no need for a detector there), and in another locale there were 3 foot long Roman amphora in near perfect condition. All that is mixed in with stone knives, arrowheads, bladelets, scrapers, and bone tools. Interesting area, needless to say.

It's hard to see anything newer than 1800 years old.
Do you have any pictures of these items, we would sure like to see them.:thumbsup:

SS

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back