A Sobering Find

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I recently gained access to a piece of property I've wanted to detect for several years. The property recently changed hands and doors opened. It's an old farm here in the Shenandoah Valley that dates to the early 1800's - over 500 acres. A Confederate veteran lived there and oral history says the place was raided by Union soldiers during the War Between the States.

I've hunted the area around the main house (circa 1830) for about 3 hours and found absolutely nothing worth keeping. I suspect it's been hunted hard in previous years. Then the other day I was back hunting one of the surrounding cornfields and the overseer stopped by for a visit. After I told him I wasn't finding much besides junk, he said, "You should go up on the hill and hunt around the old family cemetery." I must have looked surprised and disgusted all at the same time, because he very quickly added, "Oh, no, no, I don't mean IN the cemetery, just AROUND it. It's fenced in."

So I headed to the location, about a half mile from the main home. The family cemetery has many of the characteristics one so often sees in Southern Appalachia areas of the U.S.: at the top of a hill, behind the main home, Yucca plants, headstones all facing east. The earliest death date I could make out was 1822, though I believe there were older graves there. The cemetery was in deplorable condition. The yucca plants have all but taken over the whole area (about 24'x40'), groundhogs have wreaked havoc, headstones are broken and others fallen over. Also, the ground had evidently suffered significant erosion as the burial area sat about 18" above the surrounding pasture, exposing the very base of the fence posts.

The surrounding grass was pretty high, making it difficult to swing my coil close to the ground. And, again, I want to be clear that I only detected OUTSIDE the fenced burial area. Darkness was approaching fast, so everything I found I just stuffed into my bag without really looking at it until I got home. Most of what I found consisted of nails and cow tags - except for what you see below. I believe these are hardware pieces from a coffin. I found all of them about 2 feet off of the northeast corner of the cemetery. They seem to be made out of some type of "pot metal."

The overseer told me that he and the new owner plan to clean and restore the old cemetery. I'm thinking I should return these pieces at that time. Thoughts? Anyone seen anything like this before? Any idea on age? Thanks for looking.

coffin1.jpg coffin2.jpg coffin3.jpg

Upvote 10

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the picture of the old head stones ! I have know idea what those pieces are , but you may be right in your assessment .
I like your idea of returning them to the location !

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the picture of the old head stones ! I have know idea what those pieces are , but you may be right in your assessment .
I like your idea of returning them to the location !

I'm 99% sure they're part of a coffin handle or other decorative hardware. I've seen similar pieces elsewhere. Thanks for looking!

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow Richard, kind of a spooky story. I'm confident that you will do the appropriate thing. HH, Q.

Yes, gave my wife the creeps when I showed them to her. Next time I talk to the owner, I'll discuss my suggestion about returning them once they restore the old place. Kinda sad.

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet the ground hogs brought those coffin pieces up and left them But im betting in 1820s they used a simple wooden coffin nothing fancy
if even a coffin at all

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bet the ground hogs brought those coffin pieces up and left them But im betting in 1820s they used a simple wooden coffin nothing fancy
if even a coffin at all

Very possible the groundhogs are the culprits. This was a rather well to do family, so a more ornate coffins is likely, though these could be off of a later date burial - late 1800's.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wouldn't feel right about keeping those pieces but that's just me.

Irregular

Mar 2, 2011
Virginia (Occupied)
Very nice pic of the cemetery, scenic!

I'm aligned with CoilyGirl and your wife, Rick. Having said that, I'm in line with Quindy also, confident you'll do the right thing.

I held on to this find just long enough to document it, and found great relief in returning it to where I found it- The Atlantic Ocean.

IMG_3542.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice pic of the cemetery, scenic!

I'm aligned with CoilyGirl and your wife, Rick. Having said that, I'm in line with Quindy also, confident you'll do the right thing.

I held on to this find just long enough to document it, and found great relief in returning it to where I found it- The Atlantic Ocean.

View attachment 1080753

Hey Doug - I remember that find! Thanks for looking.

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely let the owners know where you found the pieces. While I love the ground hog theory, they may want to document it just in case someone comes along to do further research on the cemetery in the future. (I'm a genealogist). Could someone have been buried *outside* the fence because of who they were? Servant, different religion, suicide. . . . Families are full of weird and interesting people!

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were casket handles made out of pot metal? Those pieces don't look substantial enough to serve the purpose.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure where those pieces came from, could be anything really. Being close to the cemetery makes you wonder though.

The last farm I detected is near a very old cemetery. The elderly lady who lives there takes care of the cemetery, and told me to go detect it. It's so bitter sweet...there would be great things to find I bet, but I just know I shouldn't detect it. I politely told her thanks, but I don't want to disrespect the people buried there, or cause concern to the other people who may happen to see someone digging in a cemetery.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Definitely let the owners know where you found the pieces. While I love the ground hog theory, they may want to document it just in case someone comes along to do further research on the cemetery in the future. (I'm a genealogist). Could someone have been buried *outside* the fence because of who they were? Servant, different religion, suicide. . . . Families are full of weird and interesting people!

No, I don't believe so. The borders were very distinct.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Were casket handles made out of pot metal? Those pieces don't look substantial enough to serve the purpose.

I've since been told they're more likely a zinc alloy. It's not pot metal, though it has a similar appearance. They're heavy, similar to iron in weight.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the pieces look decorative enough to have come from a mid-1800's coffin. they look to have zero monetary value, and if it would make you feel better or more at ease to replace them, then do so. If it were me, I would probably do the same.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm having a little trouble with the coffin theory only because the pieces are so chunked up and destroyed, most likely a plow. However if from a plow someone would have had to run over a coffin with it and that isn't too likely. It may be pieces of a chest, or some other decorative piece thrown in the field that was plowed and pushed up by the cemetery, but I'd detect from that location towards the farm field to see if you can find more pieces of the puzzle or the rest of the cache!

To get a better idea on what the pieces could be, your local university may have an art history department with a specialty in decorative arts. They may be able to nail it down.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm having a little trouble with the coffin theory only because the pieces are so chunked up and destroyed, most likely a plow. However if from a plow someone would have had to run over a coffin with it and that isn't too likely. It may be pieces of a chest, or some other decorative piece thrown in the field that was plowed and pushed up by the cemetery, but I'd detect from that location towards the farm field to see if you can find more pieces of the puzzle or the rest of the cache!

To get a better idea on what the pieces could be, your local university may have an art history department with a specialty in decorative arts. They may be able to nail it down.

Thanks for the suggestion - a cache would be great! However, I'm still 99% sure they're from a coffin. Here are some similar (and more complete), that I know are from a coffin:
attachment.php

And though you can't see the handle/pin holes in my pieces, they are there and similar in design to this one:

coffinhandle.jpg

Last edited:

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does the plowing go right up to the cemetery? I'm just not sure how else they would get so broken up unless the coffin was put in a wood chipper.

Given the size they don't seem to be robust enough for handles, but decorative. Anyway, I hope I'm right, but unfortunately that isn't too often!

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be sober as well . After my second casket piece ! MaineRelic

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread