A spoon among nature

Oct 29, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20181029_194538.jpg 20181029_194526.jpg 20181029_194727.jpg 20181029_194700.jpg I bought the property next door last year to expand my homestead and start my agricultural 'career.' It's sort of on the outskirts of town in a heavily wooded area where a lot of poor folks have lived over the years. My house has no history, it used to be a two room cabin/shack and was built onto over the years. They had to guess at the original date.

As we are starting to clean the original property, cut down trees, etc, we found a busted up old coal furnace complete with the turning grate buried behind the drain field. Other trash removed was more recent like washing machines, bikes, rotted mattresses with trees growing out of them. Mysteriously, there seemed to be a common belief that if they dumped their refuse at the base of a tree it would magically disappear :icon_scratch:

Well, now their stuff has become my stuff all over again. We've uncovered some odd things like the two knob control panel from an old Zenith tv (we never found the actual tv.......), a woman's shoe, some kind of enormous floatation device, a single car seat, and rollerblades.

Tonight as we're freezing our butts off going through yet another pile of trash from an old burn pit, trying to remove the broken glass (they thought glass would burn apparently) and other dangerous items we found this spoon. At first we thought it was pure copper but there was no green. In the fading light I couldn't read the stamp so I put it in my pocket and would clean it up later.

Here are the pictures of the spoon. I was able to recover the name ROGERS NICKEL SILVER. The handle is obviously missing BUT I was able to clean it up enough to find there IS a pattern on the handle just above the spoon part.

My search for the stamp was pretty much useless. Lots and lots of Rogers out there but I just could not place this spoon anywhere.
What I'm most interested in is the original date, and if possible an image of the spoon in it's entirety with the design so I know what it looked like in it's younger years.
Any help would be most appreciated, I look forward to hearing from the experts!:thumb_up:

Upvote 10

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you will be surprised at the things you find nice relic usually there are markings on it

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome also from MI. Tommy sounds like fun

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Shelley and welcome to the forum from Niagara Falls.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread