a story about platinum

lilorphanannie

Apr 19, 2008
Platinum- for nine years I worked for an international exploration company. I it was a small operation but with offices in Caracas ,Venezuela and Guadalajara ,Jalisco Mexico for a while. I pretty much in charge of that area. My employer being European and fluent in Russian, focused on Russia ,Siberia and Kamchatka. I was called in and to my surprise my boss asked me to accompany him on a trip to a platinum deposit located on the eastern side of the Ural mountains . This platinum placer was part of a gulag labor camp from former communist Russia. It was now (in the 1995) open up to foreign investment and a client was paying my employer, a highly regarded and published doctor of economic geology to do a preliminary look see mission and proceed from there. The area was extremely remote and there was a sense of gloom from the past that one could not deny. We stayed there two weeks and moved back and forth daily from a little village about 30 miles south of the site. Accommodations at the village were a rooming house essentially a room in an old farmhouse rented out. They also provided meals. One evening our driver showed up and had a person with him. I could not understand a word , but the Dr. told me to hurry up ,that we were going to meet someone in the village. We drove out to a very sturdy little wooden shack on the edge of the town and were introduced to an elderly old man. This old man was a former university professor and political prisoner who worked the placer mine at the prison camp. They talked for hours nonstop and I just sat there trying to stay warm. Finally the old man rose up from the chair where he sat and my boss instructed me to pull the chair out away from the corner where it was pushed into. Then he told me to bring out what was behind the chair into the light. At first I thought it was a brass looking trashcan, it was about 20 inches in height and had a diameter large enough where my fist would easily fit. I could not pinch the sides and lift it. I eventually tilted it got my fingers underneath and cradled it. I think it had to have weighed over 120 pounds. We laid out a heavy jacket on the floor and poured out hundreds of platinum nuggets. The old man said that as a form of silent protest ,when the opportunity arose they would hide the large nuggets that they could recover by hand and secret them at a pre-arranged site. He was one of the few who survived. Not having any family he moved to this village closest to the mine with the intention to return and recover the platinum the prisoners had hidden. The empty artillery shell was what he had recovered so far. He told us there was much more. The largest nuggets were the size of a clove of garlic and the smallest the size of a bean. The old man gave each of us a nugget, my boss tried to pay him something but he refused to accept. The plan was to return if our client decided to follow through with the project and through him we would purchase the nuggets. My boss , who has much experience in Russia said we would never be able to export them without a mining license. Besides we were looking at one to two thousand ounces of nuggets. I have no idea what happened after that. This exploration company closed operations in Latin America and I was let go. I understood that the group interested in the platinum placer chose another deposit . The old ex prisioner/miner would be over 100 years old by now. There are almost no metal detectors in Russia at least at that time. And almost no legal way to get that amount of nuggets out of the country without connections. But it had to be one of the largest collections of platinum nuggets ever assembled. At any rate it was an amazing trip. We stopped at another old mining town ,where we were able to buy some rare gem quality alexandrite and my employer also bought a sable coat for his wife.

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lilorphanannie,
You, sir, are the kind we read about in books and secretly admire and wish we were in your shoes!
I just l-o-v-e your stories and experiences - please keep'em coming!

OP
OP
lilorphanannie

lilorphanannie

Apr 19, 2008
Thanks for the comments and interest. Iwill add a little more to the history, I hope I dont overstep my boundries./////Years ago i was in the US Army stationed in the Republic of Panama. Although we received hazardous duty pay for missions to El Salvador and Honduras, Panama was easy time and the living was good and life was relatively easy. It was essentially two weeks up north and two weeks back at base, for three years. In my aviation battalion was a guy of Cuban decent from Miami. I recognized him but barely knew him. One day he came up to me in the cafeteria and asked what my room number was and if he could come up to see me afterwards, that he had something to show me. I said ok. Thirty minutes later he was at my door. In his hand was a single rock. He asked me if I could identify it. Truthfully ,I had no idea. In our small battalion I was known as the bright kid, I guess. I said to give me the rock and I would find out. That Saturday I went to downtown Panama city, and walked around until I found a sign, COMPRO ORO, meaning we buy gold. There was a few pieces of yellow metallic looking stuff the size of a pencil eraser sticking out and through the otherwise ugly almost crumbly stone. The guy looked at the stone and smiled . he pulled out a ceramic plate at scratched it and then poured what I learned soon afterto be acid. Then he said that’s gold son ,where did you get it? I told him and he said go found out exactly where it came from and you’ll be a rich man. So I returned to Ft Kobbe and looked for Carlos . I found his room in the barracks next to mine ,went upstairs and knocked on the door. Once inside I told him what happened,and that we needed to know where the stone came from. He paused for a second ,and lightly called out a name. There was some rumbling and then the closet door came open. Out came a young indian girl, probably no more than 20 years old ,and no more than about 4 feet 8 inches tall. Carlos introduced her as his fiancée. She was an exotic dancer in a club who had come into the city of Panama from the Darien province. As I learned she was a Choco indian. She befriended Carlos and was living (hiding) in the barracks. Well ,my Spanish was not too good at the time ,but she commented that the gold came from an outcrop of rock that jutted out of the riverbank where her village was. She also said that there were several wooded bowls of the same type of rock that her brothers had already extracted. So right then and there we planned a trip. We went down to the docks in the city and tried to find out how to get to her village. There were old wooden supply boats that would take us out into the pacific and up the Yavisa river to the village of Yavisa from there it was on foot for about 6 hours to her village. We asked for a three day pass and planned to meet and leave the next free Saturday. When I got to the docks ,I did not see Carlos or his girlfriend. Nor did I see the boat captain with whom we made arrangements. Although I was on time ,early actually ,I found out that the boat left out some two hours early, as they had a full load. It was just as well, as Carlos did not return. He was missing for weeks. As Panama borders on the Colombian border and the village was almost in Colombia ,Carlos was arrested and detained assuming that he was an illegal trying to pass into Panama(he looked more Colombian than Panamian). Most people don’t know that Panama was part of Colombia until an American financed coup took place so the Americans could continue the canal project that the French started and abandoned. ///// Well about six weeks later Carols showed back up at my door. A little worse for wear and in deep trouble with uncle sam, but still enthusiastic about the gold. We took a taxi to a shanty town on the edge of Panama City, it was called El Aguila, the taxi driver was so afraid of the area he would not even enter, Carlos and his girlfriend took me to a wooden shack where there were about six people inside. These were his girlfriend’s brothers and sisters. Soon after Carlos got orders to some other part of the world but I continued with these indian friends. I would walk the streets of Panama and the police would stop and ask me if I was ok. The Choco people can look very intimidating. Of course I was fine and having the time of my life.I bought a dugout canoe and ran the nearby rivers accessed by the canal with one of my best choco friends and I fianced the others to make forays into the Darien to buy gold. We could buy gold and make a 50% net profit. I bought outboard motors for everyone paid for medical attention and purchased basics necessities for their families still living in the bush. Most soldiers on their time off play cards ,get drunk and go to clubs , I was spending every weekend with the tribe at their first camp on the San Juan river. Panama used the US dollar as currency and there were many gold buyers in town that paid on the spot. In most rivers where we were at one can pan 3 grams per day, every day ,no screening, just a shovel and a wooden bowl. In some of the rivers there was a white ,heavy gold. As all of this was new to me( and somewhat crazy as I look back on it) I was told it was platinum. I wasn’t even sure that I had ever heard the name mentioned. I went to the library on base and looked it up . I saw that it was a catalyst and was being used in convertors on automobiles to reduce emissions. I continued with my gold buying until it was time to leave Panama. Regardless of the opinion of those who may object to some of my actions I know I did more good than harm. Those people I left behind cried when I left and I left everything setup for them to continue and prosper. I truly hope they did as not to be economically forced into the humiliating jobs offered in the city . Iwas sent to Ft Hood ,Tx to finish out my military contract. I brought with me a nice bundle of money and a strong desire to pursue the world of mining and metallurgy.I knew exactly what I was going to do when I got out. In Killeen Texas ,the opportunity to prospect is nil. So I began to study platinum I went to junk yards and everyone was giving away the platinum convertors .I started with a couple hundred and rented a storage locker to put them. At that time the word was that they had no value and the platinum could not be economically extracted. I finally met with a man ,C W Ammen,author of several books on metallurgy, up in Colorado ,now deceased. He was kind enough to work with me and walk me through a process that allowed me to successfully extract a platinum salt from the convertors . I began with a microwave ,a blender and a chisel. Little by little I accumulated several thousand convertors and a larger storage locker. I found a lab in Miami Fl.,of all places, where they gladly received my product.Some people told me that I was the very first person to recycle the convertors, Idont know but it was several years later that I heard of anyone else doing it. Soon after the junk yards stopped giving away the convertors. But I knew already what I was going to do. I had visited Colombia while in Panama and was taken in by its lifestyle and natural beauty. I also now knew that some of the rivers in the Choco department of Colombia carried platinum. I called US customs and asked what I needed to transport cash money. Life was so much easier back then .I obtained the proper forms ,put the money in my cowboy boots and in the back and sides of my leather jacket, went to the airport ,presented my paperwork to the proper authorities and flew to Bogota ,where I bought a house ,paid cash for it ,built a dredge and dredged for gold and platinum and eventually became involved with emeralds. As I dredged only six months every year ,I was free to explore other possibilities. This is how I got started in the world of treasures and mining and minerals. This activity took up the first twenty years or so until I began to do consulting for others which eventually brought me to Mexico.

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
Lil' Annie-
Very much enjoying this...More please!
What a fun and interesting life it appears you've had! Any lost treasure/mines/relic finds in your travels?
Thank you in advance-
J.A.

OP
OP
lilorphanannie

lilorphanannie

Apr 19, 2008
In response to J.A.A. about my experience with treasure. While living in the country of Colombia the only profitable treasure hunting venture was grave robbing. It is considered a legal profession and those who pursue it are called guaqueros. (tomb diggers) . In order to qualify one must be a Colombian national and agree to sell the finds to the national museum. It never appealed to me and requires the endless wandering throughout the mountains looking for burial mounds and digging them up. Most of the items are paper thin hammered gold artifacts and occasionally a raw emerald. Most of the people who pursue this activity live in abject poverty and barely eke out a living. As always there are stories of incredible successes and that’s what prods everyone on. The only possibility that I see is to buy ground penetrating radar and team up with a crew of Colombian grave diggers. ///While in Panama several officers were detained trying to leave the country with golden artifacts found with metal detectors. So from what Ive seem in South America ,that is Bolivia ,Peru, Ecuador and Colombia this activity has been the only one to claim marginal success. There are a few clever people who have raised substantial money to finance digs in Peru. Although there are a few real treasure leads in that country that someone should follow up on, as well as one or two in Bolivia, I feel the rest ,at least the ones I know of simply do not have enough evidence to seduce any reasonable minded person to get involved. The real treasure I see in these cases is the money these unscrupulous people are able to attain from innocent investors to finance these endless expeditions and their personal pocketbooks. //// In Mexico there are two possibilities, one in to visit church records and read confessions. The last confession before death, a sacrament of the Catholic Church. Many of these confessions are hand written and on record . Over the years four of these confessions have come into my possession that give detailed information as to hidden wealth. The difficulty here is the time and expense to spend weeks reading hundreds of church records ,most illegible. And then to invest in a dig where one uncovers a chest of oxidized copper coinage now completely welded together and saleable at the scrap metal yard for $2 /lb. . /// if I were to pursue treasure hunting as an individual in Mexico I visit would old abandoned haciendas with a metal detector and also drop down into the wells and look for hidden rooms. There are hundreds of these old haciendas and I have no doubt that there are things of wealth that can be found. The other option is to invest in some state of the art equipment and advertise, they will beat a path to your door, every family it seems, has a treasure to be found. Be forewarned that people can be impossible to deal with and treasure often brings out the worst. As far as reading goes Charles Kenworthys book on unfound treasures of Mexico has been found to have serious legitimacy to many of the leads he listed there. And in South America I would love to see someone pursue the San Gaban lead and the famous Sacambaya treasure in Bolivia as I don’t think it has been searched correctly(I have been there). So in a nutshell ,I as a prospector, have shied away from treasure hunting per se,although it somehow follows me around. In my mind it’s a hobby for those who have money to throw away. It reminds me of the guy who goes out and buys a $20k bass boat and a $4k motor and $2k in fishing equipment and a $30k pickup to pull his boat and goes fishing, then he comes home all smiles with an 8 pound bass to show his wife to fry. A fish that one can buy for $10 at the fish market. For me the idea is that the risk to reward must be reasonable and worth my time and although there is a lot of intrigue in the idea of searching for something of great wealth ,for me it my search must have the promise of monetary profit. Therefore as a prospector I lean toward opportunities I can see right in front of me and calculate value and costs right away. Knowing that I can legally possess it, knowing I wont have to go to court and argue my rights for two years. I love treasure stories and have read about them since I was a child. But to this day the percentage of profitable finds for land based treasures ,well you will have a better shot with a lottery ticket. In Mexico there is a saying which says that every treasure that is hidden has the finders name on it .and the treasure is destined for only that person. As 99% of the land based treasures of real value are found by accident I have to say I cant disagree. In closing ,its my observation ,in order to justify a search for a treasure one needs a lead that no one else has ,and one needs to be able to verify that lead from at least two other angles. Then ,assuming that the said treasure has not yet been recovered, one needs the funding to put all legal requirements in order and then to proceed with the extraction, finally the most serious problem of handling the logistics of moving and liquidating the treasure. So far a situation , provable and viable meeting these requirements hasn’t come my way.

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Senor Lilorphanannie, well said…….I agree it is fun to read and Señor Crow has a list or requirements before searching begins…as I recall it includes what you said and beyond……..
I would agree that the old haciendas are good locations to search…….banks have not changed that much have they, still they are not to be trusted……
Gracias mi amigo…….

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to bump up this old thread but these are amazing stories, Lilorphanannie! I have some things in common with you having lived in Panama and Colombia. I also lived in Venezuela for a time. Colombia is still almost virgin ground for metal detecting, although the hobby is starting to grow. The first metal detecting store opened up in Bogota a couple of years ago.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I love treasure stories and have read about them since I was a child. But to this day the percentage of profitable finds for land based treasures ,well you will have a better shot with a lottery ticket. In Mexico there is a saying which says that every treasure that is hidden has the finders name on it .and the treasure is destined for only that person. As 99% of the land based treasures of real value are found by accident I have to say I cant disagree. In closing ,its my observation ,in order to justify a search for a treasure one needs a lead that no one else has ,and one needs to be able to verify that lead from at least two other angles. Then ,assuming that the said treasure has not yet been recovered

Yes, they never write the stories saying they have been found. Those stories don't sell well. Ran one down and found out it had been removed in 1910.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Also I remember a story told to me by a 'friend(?)', while driving in Mexico the truck got stuck in a creek and when getting it free found some 'white rocks' that he stuck into his pocket. He found out later it was Platinum. He had been badly burned since then and was not sure what his route had been to try to back track it to the creek. He lost his right thumb and spent 2 weeks in ICU, he has no memory of . He even forgot about a bank account he had with $8000 in it.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yer right, Tayopa had my name on it, but that doesn't mean that I am rich, just that I would find it.:censored:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread