A tellers story

teller89

Jun 26, 2013
I have been a coin roll hunter for the last few years. Never found anything worth posting up on here until Wednesday...

Let me start off by saying I have worked as a bank teller for almost a year now, finding very little silver during that time period. That was until Wednesday, when coming back to my window the teller next to me had a couple of rolls of quarters and about 7 dollars in loose quarters sitting on top of the counter. Upon looking I noticed that the loose coins were silver. She was still talking to the member depositing the coins that had received them from her uncle past away. My co-worker told her that the coins looked funny and ask her if they were real... The member said she thought the same thing, that's when I stepped in.. I assured my co-worker they were real coins and

OP
OP
teller89

teller89

Jun 26, 2013
After completing the transaction I proceeded to buy all the coins from her... In total there was 99 silver quarters and 1 Benjamin Franklin half... Best score by far

Attachments

• image-735677972.jpg
    image-735677972.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 228
  • image-3624710458.jpg
    image-3624710458.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 195

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy Moly! Totally awesome!

Diggin-it

Jul 11, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, XP Deus, AT-Pro, F2, Minelab Equinox 800 on order..
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
LOL...WOW, what a score!! I can't believe those other 2, especially the other Teller were clueless. Every bank I go to the Tellers are wise to silver coins. Even when I go in to by coin rolls they will inform me that what they have has already been searched if I am looking for silver coins. So far they are right....hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of coins purchased and nothing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
teller89

teller89

Jun 26, 2013
Yeah I bought her a gift card and got her lunch the next day told her if she found any more to save them for me...

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL...WOW, what a score!! I can't believe those other 2, especially the other Teller were clueless. Every bank I go to the Tellers are wise to silver coins. Even when I go in to by coin rolls they will inform me that what they have has already been searched if I am looking for silver coins. So far they are right....hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of coins purchased and nothing.
I guess it's not against bank rules for tellers to swap out the silver coins from their drawers....so not only are us CRHers fighting the tellers, the Armored Car sorters, and God only knows who else.....this hobby gets harder by the day!!!! Kinda discourages you. I think I'll search some more quarter and dime boxes and if I get skunked, then I'll not do the hobby anymore. :thumbsup:

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score!! It looks like a couple of those quarters have some luster and a lot of detail on them. Not just your typical well-worn examples.

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet! We don't see a lot of people finding silver quarters in this forum. Your story is very interesting because you were actually able to find out where the coins came from. Whenever I see an amazing find like this, I always ask myself, "where the dickens did those come from". I suspect that your story is pretty typical--an elderly person dies, and the heirs cash in their old coin stash clueless to the fact that the have something valuable. It's nice that most people don't recognize silver or us CRHers would never find anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread