wny
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250 :: Tesoro Compadre :: Equinox 800
This looks bad on all of us.
Beagle

http://www.cadillacnews.com/articles/2007/08/30/news/news03.txt

Historical items of large value stolen

By Matt Whetstone, Cadillac News

MEAUWATAKA — Normally when U.S. Forest Service Officer Patrick Wiese encounters someone seeking artifacts on federal forest land, they don’t know it’s illegal.

When an investigator encounters 200-plus holes on an old house site, odds are someone was searching for historic artifacts.

Destruction of historic sites on National Forest Land is a violation of the Archaeological Resource Protection Act and is punishable by up to $150,000 and up to a year in prison.

Wiese said his investigation, which was prompted after some Manton-area residents noticed vehicles at the Hemlock Grove Farm, is similar to most investigations.

At the site, Wiese combed the area for clues and physical evidence. The belief is that someone used a metal detector around the site and near structures to locate and dig up the artifacts.

“Then I go to my archaeologist,” Wiese said. “I need them as an expert in the field to tell me what’s disturbed, damaged and taken.”

The farm had been catalogued by archaeologists so Wiese said he knows what was taken.

“Basically, some historical items of large value,” he said.

Continued from A1.

“This particular area had been catalogued and has been studied by the archaeologist. We knew the kind of stuff that’s on site,” he said.

The farm dates back to the late 19th Century and contains a number of structures that were disturbed during the looting.

In the past, Wiese said he’s seen people on forest land with metal detectors and told them it’s a violation of the law. Many people simply don’t know, he said.

“In this case, they did a lot of damage, a lot of digging and excavating,” he said. “It’s going to be costly to repair.”

Wiese believes hand trowels, shovels and metal detectors were used.

In cases where historical artifacts are taken, he said people either add them to a personal collection or sell them for cash.

The forest service said a teal/green Ford Windstar van and gold sub-compact sedan were seen at the scene. Anyone with information should call (231) 775-2421.

Your Local Connection

History stolen

What: An old farm known as Hemlock Grove Farm was looted of historical artifacts

Suspect vehicles: Witnesses in the area saw a teal/green Ford Windstar van and a gold sub-compact vehicle in the area.

Where: The farm is located on federal forest property in Colfax Township

[email protected] | 775-NEWS (6397)

Upvote 0

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree that puts us in a bad light..And when caught should be punished to the full extenet of the law.......

BUT HOW THE HELL CAN HE SAY THEY KNOW WHAT WAS TAKEN???DID THEY DIG IT ALL UP MAP IT AND REBURY IT????? ???

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Sounds like some kids not covering holes, NOT GOOD!!!DUM.Artifacts or not. :-\
RD

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
It sounds like what was cataloged was in the old structures... I bet some stuff was looted/stolen.

The ground damage is a shame. Costly repairs? It is a little overboard.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did not mention any b & e..they may have sueveyed and found some things but it sound s to me like they are saying they knew what is buried there..it is still wrong and i hope they catch and punish whomever did this.....

A few bad apples are going to ruin for us all..and i agree about the costly repair part....of course you know whoever repairs it will charge them 20x more than needed and the government will pay....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread