A test for all ver 4 XY SCREEN users to take .A 7MIN MUST SEE VIDEO

Morpheus32

Jun 28, 2017
Edmonton
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Delta 4000, Makro Racer 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is rather obvious to most that you don't just use the screen with the XY element to decide to dig. The XY graph is a tool, just like the tones for a Deus operator to determine whether or not to dig. The power of the Deus is using all the settings to maximize your "interrogation" of the target to determine to dig or not. For me, when I get both an iron tone and a desired ID tone/number appear, I move around the target and pull the coil back and forth to see if I can single out the good signal from the masking signal. If I get a repeatable good signal pattern after my dance around the target, I dig.

I hope that makes sense.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it is rather obvious to most that you don't just use the screen with the XY element to decide to dig. The XY graph is a tool, just like the tones for a Deus operator to determine whether or not to dig. The power of the Deus is using all the settings to maximize your "interrogation" of the target to determine to dig or not. For me, when I get both an iron tone and a desired ID tone/number appear, I move around the target and pull the coil back and forth to see if I can single out the good signal from the masking signal. If I get a repeatable good signal pattern after my dance around the target, I dig.

I hope that makes sense.

Exactly! At the very least, I find the XY screen to be much more interesting to watch than the useless horseshoe screen. Also test yourself and see if you would you dig nor don't dig based only upon the sound? When you place a coin between nails like that, all bets are off anyway.

Morpheus32

Jun 28, 2017
Edmonton
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly! At the very least, I find the XY screen to be much more interesting to watch than the useless horseshoe screen. Also test yourself and see if you would you dig nor don't dig based only upon the sound? When you place a coin between nails like that, all bets are off anyway.

Last night in a local park, I dealt with the XY graph/sound paradigm. In the end, after the dance around the target, I dug and found a nickel for my efforts. As a tactical deus operator (trademarked as of now!) I enjoy the ability to squeeze the most out of the system to make and informed decision (as much as you can anyway). The other issue for me is that my main learning area is the local park and I can not really dig so I begun experimenting with the audio response. Super happy to be able to get a strong feel for the depth. The Deus has such potential to taylor the system to your area that I am beginning to think I am better off selling my other detectors...

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another good video CD!
Having never used the XY screen, I did awesome on the test. Nailed all the Silver! That large cent was my only miss. My nemesis is the nickle/pull tab choice. I have been doing a lot better and have been bringing home more nickles and less pull tabs. 8K with ID norm off is my weapon of choice.
I use the screen as little as possible and am totally in the Full Tones camp... only way to go with this machine!
I get a lot of lil kids that come over wondering what I am doing and I usually end up with a new helper who is amazed when I can guess 90% of the targets before I dig them. I usually give them all the pennies I find and they go off excited with an ear to ear smile with a handful of money.
Learn the sounds, dig some holes and find some goodies!!! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might be obvious to you but not all are as up to par as you ,so the video was more for them. As for the tone I would have dug them I'm not a coinshooter (park hunter) ,I hunt relics so those tones alone would have put my shovel into gear. I use the deus in a way that's fast I don't stand around analyzing targets a whole lot ,I do sometimes but the majority of the time my partner with me and the race is on . So on some of my old relic sites if it beeps dig but of course I know the machine well enough to know most of the time when its something good , button , coin etc.

Morpheus32

Jun 28, 2017
Edmonton
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might be obvious to you but not all are as up to par as you ,so the video was more for them. As for the tone I would have dug them I'm not a coinshooter (park hunter) ,I hunt relics so those tones alone would have put my shovel into gear. I use the deus in a way that's fast I don't stand around analyzing targets a whole lot ,I do sometimes but the majority of the time my partner with me and the race is on . So on some of my old relic sites if it beeps dig but of course I know the machine well enough to know most of the time when its something good , button , coin etc.

Lets change the wording here, I think your message and my comment centre around using the machine to its fullest. A good drill for any metal detectorist should be at least examining the target from 90 degrees off the initial contact. At least. My comments on being obvious is that if you have an deus and as noted by another regular poster, the Deus is not a "beep" and dig machine. If you have it set up with the XY screen, at least do a 90 degree check along with listening to the tone. Takes a couple of seconds and you glean a ton of information on the target.

I don't hunt relics regularly nor can I dig up deep targets in the local park so analysis is part and parcel of what I do when I go to the local park. As mentioned, the great thing about the Deus is its flexibility and adaptability. If you have it, might as well learn to use it and get "up to par" on how to run the machine.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will keep training and try to get my game up to par lol. Please tell me how that 90 degree turn plays into your dig or not dig ???

Last edited:

Morpheus32

Jun 28, 2017
Edmonton
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will keep training and try to get my game up to par lol. Please tell me how that 90 degree turn plays into your dig or not dig ???

Watch Gary's videos. He shows a number of methods to examine the target. As your test is using to nails to mask the target, by interrogating the target from multiple directions ,and moving the coil forward and back, you can get a cleaner view of the target and in some cases, might get a clean TID and XY image of a good target.

https://youtu.be/tlhIP8zOdPg

I will find some of the other videos from Gary which show the point.

You seem to be taking this as some afront to your video. That is hardly the case, just highlighting the functionality of the Deus.

Morpheus32

Jun 28, 2017
Edmonton
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually not going to comment further. Good luck with the videos. I am out.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it easy no need to be like that open discussion is good. Do I get defensive sometimes yes ,why because you get flack sometimes when you do test videos and people try to pick you apart. No please comment and keep the discussion open as we might both learn something. I was wondering how you used the 90 degree turn I am very familiar with it but it has some short comings too. I will explain what I mean a target in the open say a silver coin well you know you can spin 90 and will find out a lot of info about the target in that scenario. NOW the problem is when you try to put that practice to work on say a silveR coin with iron around it OR PULL TAB TRASH ETC , it will disappear and I think some have a misconception about targets that wont hit both ways. I was told by a dealer if it didn't hit when you spin on it was likely junk boy was he wrong. thanks for the links

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple of comments:

I have found 90 degree turn to be useful on some targets like morpheus said when you are getting that hint of a high tone popping out from the iron. If I can get a consistent high tone from one angle but not the other, I will dig. It is rare that I get that hint of a high tone and have to do the 90 degree turn , but I think of it as another tool in the toolkit to "discriminate with my brain" when necessary. Pulled a coin out from beside/underneath a tent stake at the beach the weekend using 90 degree.

Re: the X-Y screen, I have found that now that I have easier access to it and have used it consistently, I have found it really does not tell me much more than I have already discerned from the tone. If the tone sounds "squirrely" then I know it will look "squirrely" on the xy screen, so why bother looking. I think the thing about the xy screen is that it did help me train my ear to the squirrely leading edge and trailing edge sounds because I could "visualize" them on the xy screen. I think I am past that now, and find the xy screen to be of little use (but NOT useless - I will still whip it out on occasion on some targets).

I used to use the XY screen for crowncaps, but have found that the combination of the hf coil plus cutting in silencer to be killer on crown caps. No need to analyze XY screens anymore. They just plane sound like trash to me now.

Have to disagree with Iron Buzz above regarding the horseshoe screen being USELESS (at least to me) for several reasons:

(1) My eyesight sucks, so having TID front and center in big font is my preference vs. stashed in micro font in one corner as it is on the XY screen. Big reason I ditched the AT Pro is due to the small font.

(2) Like to know where GB is set in relation to actual GB, especially if I am biasing GB to squeeze depth performance, you only get the actual GB reading on the xy screen and it comes and goes (why?) and is in micro font.

(3) As a relic hunter usually dealing with highly mineralized soil, the mineralization bargraph is essential to me. No bargraph on the xy screen.

(4) The horseshoe right side indicator provides a more intuitive depth indicator than the xy screen, especially if the xy screen is zoomed way in. And while I have gotten away from using the left side horseshoe as ferrous indicator because I can hear the iron with full tones and no disc, it is there nevertheless should I decide to disc higher.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh the voice of reason lol... Nice write up

Now what I am going to be playing with and want to know is if I lower my GB negative 15 points from what the Deus is reading will I get more depth at the loose of good target ID?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Couple of comments:

I have found 90 degree turn to be useful on some targets like morpheus said when you are getting that hint of a high tone popping out from the iron. If I can get a consistent high tone from one angle but not the other, I will dig. It is rare that I get that hint of a high tone and have to do the 90 degree turn , but I think of it as another tool in the toolkit to "discriminate with my brain" when necessary. Pulled a coin out from beside/underneath a tent stake at the beach the weekend using 90 degree.

Re: the X-Y screen, I have found that now that I have easier access to it and have used it consistently, I have found it really does not tell me much more than I have already discerned from the tone. If the tone sounds "squirrely" then I know it will look "squirrely" on the xy screen, so why bother looking. I think the thing about the xy screen is that it did help me train my ear to the squirrely leading edge and trailing edge sounds because I could "visualize" them on the xy screen. I think I am past that now, and find the xy screen to be of little use (but NOT useless - I will still whip it out on occasion on some targets).

I used to use the XY screen for crowncaps, but have found that the combination of the hf coil plus cutting in silencer to be killer on crown caps. No need to analyze XY screens anymore. They just plane sound like trash to me now.

Have to disagree with Iron Buzz above regarding the horseshoe screen being USELESS (at least to me) for several reasons:

(1) My eyesight sucks, so having TID front and center in big font is my preference vs. stashed in micro font in one corner as it is on the XY screen. Big reason I ditched the AT Pro is due to the small font.

(2) Like to know where GB is set in relation to actual GB, especially if I am biasing GB to squeeze depth performance, you only get the actual GB reading on the xy screen and it comes and goes (why?) and is in micro font.

(3) As a relic hunter usually dealing with highly mineralized soil, the mineralization bargraph is essential to me. No bargraph on the xy screen.

(4) The horseshoe right side indicator provides a more intuitive depth indicator than the xy screen, especially if the xy screen is zoomed way in. And while I have gotten away from using the left side horseshoe as ferrous indicator because I can hear the iron with full tones and no disc, it is there nevertheless should I decide to disc higher.

(5) No clock on the xy screen.

FTFY ;)

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Generally, I have three scenarios.

1) The sound tells me the target is iron
2) The sound and the XY screen clearly tell me I've hit a coin. I dig the coin.
3) The sound and the XY screen do not clearly tell me I've hit a coin. I dig to find out what the hell it is.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(5) No clock on the xy screen.

FTFY ;)

How could I have forgotten the clock! Micro micro font though lol!

I actually use it at my beach park because you can only detect 6 - 9am and am running exercise/gps stats on my watch to track coverage so actual time isn't readily available.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it easy no need to be like that open discussion is good. Do I get defensive sometimes yes ,why because you get flack sometimes when you do test videos and people try to pick you apart. No please comment and keep the discussion open as we might both learn something. I was wondering how you used the 90 degree turn I am very familiar with it but it has some short comings too. I will explain what I mean a target in the open say a silver coin well you know you can spin 90 and will find out a lot of info about the target in that scenario. NOW the problem is when you try to put that practice to work on say a silveR coin with iron around it OR PULL TAB TRASH ETC , it will disappear and I think some have a misconception about targets that wont hit both ways. I was told by a dealer if it didn't hit when you spin on it was likely junk boy was he wrong. thanks for the links

How come you don't get defensive when we complain about the volume of your intro!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally, I have three scenarios.

1) The sound tells me the target is iron
2) The sound and the XY screen clearly tell me I've hit a coin. I dig the coin.
3) The sound and the XY screen do not clearly tell me I've hit a coin. I dig to find out what the hell it is.

Detecting advice: Be open minded about learning new tricks of the trade but never let anyone talk you into fixing that which is not broken. If it is working, keep doing it. Best thing you can do is stick with what works for you and tweak, as necessary. Do not constantly chase and switch to other people's methods, custom programs, and detectors because you start from ground zero on the learning curve every time. Incorporate new things into your routine like acquiring new tools in your toolkit rather than getting a whole new toolkit just because your existing kit doesn't have that socket wrench. I am done with the cliches now.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh the voice of reason lol... Nice write up

Now what I am going to be playing with and want to know is if I lower my GB negative 15 points from what the Deus is reading will I get more depth at the loose of good target ID?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don't think you will lose target ID unless the target is super deep, but the Deus will be noisy as hell if you do that so you probably won't hear it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread