A tip for the cooks

hypoman

Jul 25, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
I have noticed that most people don't know this trick. When you are cooking something in a pot and there is a danger of the contents boiling over, just put a wooden spoon across the top of the pot....for really big pots, sometimes two is in order. I have completely stopped using a lid. Been doing this for about 4 years now. I don't know why this works, just that it does....since I have been told this trick I have had nothing spill over. I would be interested to hear anyones explanation as to why this works....or theories?

Great tip that I can't wait to try because I just hate it when that happens.

texastee2007 said:
I know the threat of a wooden spoon kept me from boiling over a few times when I was little! they hurt.
That's how I got started making wooden spoons . Granny whopped me with one of hers .
I grabbed it when she wasn't looking and threw it in the fireplace . Got caught for that , too .
Rather than beat me again , Grandpa gave me a 'dollar Barlow' and a piece of white hickory and told me to make Granny another one . Dull knife and a piece of wood hard as a piece of iron .
By the time the spoon was done and the fingers stopped bleeding I had a newfound respect for craftsmen .

It works because it's MAGIC......

spartacus53 said:
I think maybe you have a magic spoon :dontknow: :icon_scratch: ;D

Maybe it is a magic spoon.....I wonder how much I could get from ebay. Maybe I could just buy a bunch of wooden spoons and sell them as magic spoons. I bet people will buy them if they think only MY wooden spoons will do this....hmmmm

It works when pouring a glass of coke too. When the bubbles threaten to spill over, drop the lip of the bottle onto the lip of the glass...et voila! :thumbsup:

Dano Sverige said:
It works when pouring a glass of coke too. When the bubbles threaten to spill over, drop the lip of the bottle onto the lip of the glass...et voila! :thumbsup:

Didn't work for me... I saw the mouth of the bottle, but no lips on it :dontknow: :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back