A Treasure Map to Treasures in Your County

stilldign

Oct 21, 2007
Just a quick heads-up for those of you that are wondering about, or searching for, treasure rooms in your county. Your local courthouse will generally have an original county map of your county on display at the courthouse. Some courthouses have taken them down and put these maps in "storage", and you may have to ask for permission to see it. If you know the treasure codes, and if there is a treasure room in your county (chances are great that there is at least one), then you should be ready to go.
Check out the county map and see where the treasure room(s) is/are located, then go to the records department and look for the original plat maps of that specific area. Get a copy of ALL plat maps for that area.

Clay Lindsey

Jan 8, 2010
Sierra Vista, AZ
Quick question. For me the county seat had changed around the turn of the century. The old county courthouse is now considered a national landmark and museum. Additionally, it has been shut down temporarily due to budgetary restraints on manpower. Unfortunately, they didn't transfer a lot of the old archives to the new county seat. What would be another way to find information on old maps for others in this pickle?

Clay

OP
OP
S

stilldign

Oct 21, 2007
Clay,
Museums are an excellent source for old maps. Granted, they will be in a display, but with a donation to the museum you may be able to get a copy. Often times, the maps you seek are still "in storage," which means that you have to specifically ask for them. Some museums have a research library that you may, or may not, get access to. You'll have to check it out.
If the old files and maps haven't been put in/taken to the new facilities, then ask where they are being kept, they just don't throw this stuff away. On the other hand, with the information about these maps that has been revealed in the last few years, it may be impossible to even get questions answered as to the where-a-bouts of these articles.
The Internet used to be a great place to find old treasure maps but, once again, with the info that has been revealed in the last few years, sites that contain any maps of "value" are on the decline, or, the maps that lead to treasure rooms have been removed from public access.
Books are another excellent source for these orignal maps. Many towns have printed a book that was released during the towns centennial. These books tell the story of the towns founding, its expansion, etc., and many times copies of the original plat maps will be found in these books.
The list goes on and on. You have to not only use your imagination as to where to look for these maps, but you also have to have a good eye for these types of treasure maps, that way you can spot them at any time and in any place.
Also, you must understand letter-style treasure maps. These treasure maps are just as effective as plat maps, but their much harder to recognize, unless you can spot the tell-tale signs that say to you "this is a treasure map."
There are a few sites on the Internet that sell old documents. These used to be a "clearing house" for free treasure maps (all you had to do was copy them), especially the letter-style treasure maps. Lately, this has changed.
The Library of Congress has millions of maps that lead to treasure, as well it should. Many county maps can be found here.
Again, the list goes on and on.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
what do you mean by "Treasure Room"? There was a meat cutting store here back in the early 1900's that I am trying to find with no luck so far. I know the general spot of it but not sure which side of the road it was on or if it was farther down at the T section of the road so a old map of that area would be great.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stilldigin,

I must have missed the details on this:

"Just a quick heads-up for those of you that are wondering about, or searching for, treasure rooms in your county. Your local courthouse will generally have an original county map of your county on display at the courthouse. Some courthouses have taken them down and put these maps in "storage", and you may have to ask for permission to see it. If you know the treasure codes, and if there is a treasure room in your county (chances are great that there is at least one), then you should be ready to go."

What are the treasure rooms that maybe in my county? This sounds fascinating to me and I'd like more info...if its kind of hush hush please PM me and I'll keep it that way.

thanks!

MDING TOM

Mar 19, 2006
Watton, MI. (Upper Pen.)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with Curtis. i've never treasure hunt to say i dont alittle mding but thats about it i would love to know what these treasure codes that ur talking about are if its all hush hush please i would love a pm n keep it to myself

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
You got my interest. So what do I do? Just go down to the county history & archives and say I want to be a treasure hunter. Can you show me the maps with the dotted line and the big X on them? I won't put it quite that way but I'd like to know more about the "code" and how to go about asking to get the best results. Swiz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread