A vanishing commodity !

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I was watching a TV show the other night, "NOVA", about world global declining sources of energy (oil,gas,electric, solar, wind, tidal, and atomic), and also precious metals (gold, silver, etc.). Then I started to think that with ALL OF CRH's hunting silver, sooner or later all of the silver coins we are trying to stack will sooner or later diminish to near nothing. It is a commodity that is dwindling as we search & pull AG each day, and yet our hobby continues. How many more years can we go on is just a matter of time, and every silver coin we MIGHT FIND in the future would be like trying to find a 1909-s-vdb cent or a 1916-D Merc dime today. At age 70, I think that I cherish this hobby more now than ever before, knowing that in the end there will be, THOSE THAT HAVE, and THOSE THAT HAVE NOT. I think that all of US CRH's will be in the HAVE group. Just keep on STACKING for the eventual end, and have a HAPPY HUNTING trip while doing it.
HH, DozerD (sorry for rambling on)

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand where you're coming from, but you're completely wrong about CRH coming to an end. For all intents and purposes, ALL of the silver was pulled out of circulation in the 1960's, but here we are still finding silver. What we find, what we have been finding, and what we will continue to find, (other than 40% and 35% which not that many years ago didn't have enough silver value to be worth keeping) is what thieves steal and when unknowing/uncaring people inherit coin collections and just cash them in for face value. Those things aren't going away. The only thing that will kill CRH is when the U.S. does away with coins completely, and I don't see that happening in the near future.

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most discouraging thing to me is the millions and millions of brand new coins put out yearly that dilutes the supply of desirable coins and makes it that much harder to find good stuff. I think that will be the thing that finally makes me quit the hobby.

Walla183

Sep 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, what do all of us hope for? Grandma turns in grandpa's coin collection and we scoop it all up. Will CRH'ing be hard for the next generation, completely agreed. But for us, we have two things running. 1. Older generation is often unaware of what they have. 2. Up until recently, 40%s were thrown back.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With each new year the new coins will actually have items of value. Not necessarily silver, but errors and varieties. You also have to remember all of the coins that are lost each year, thus new coins to replace them.

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I understand where you're coming from, but you're completely wrong about CRH coming to an end....The only thing that will kill CRH is when the U.S. does away with coins completely, and I don't see that happening in the near future.

Well, Citibank is trying to go cashless in Australia... India is trying to do the same... I was actually going to open a Citibank account, but now that I heard what they're doing down under, I decided not to... A "cashless" society is actually the biggest threat to CRH... I hope and pray this doesn't happen anytime soon... In 2067 or so, it might be ok though...

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
The most discouraging thing to me is the millions and millions of brand new coins put out yearly that dilutes the supply of desirable coins and makes it that much harder to find good stuff. I think that will be the thing that finally makes me quit the hobby.

Well, that's been going on for over 200 years... it will only stop once we stop producing coins... I hope and pray that doesn't happen anytime soon... like in the next 50-ish years.

hokielegend

Nov 8, 2012
east
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO the most realistic threat to this hobby is if the United State decided to decommission the half dollar from its coinage similar to Canada's system.
And the banking system would follow thru so that no 50 cent (or large dollar coins) be given out to the public. Having said that, I always wondered how popular is CRH in Canada?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread