A Very Different Christmas point

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Ever run into anything like this Larson??? Look at the size of those notches!
DSCN2956 - Copy.JPG

Christmas kind of came early this year for our household.

Somebody in all of his mighty wisdom thought December 14th would be a great time to send one hundred and eighty of our local National Guard troops away to Afghanistan for a year. My son, and a son-in-law are two of them so we had to exchange gifts and celebrate our Christmas early.

Now, I understand them having to go, it's their job, and they are going to help in getting everyone else out, and they will likely be some of the last to leave. They have known about it since before last Christmas. My point is, I can understand early December, or even early January, I don't understand or think much of a leader that will tear honorable men away from their wives and young children 10 days before Christmas.

Well, maybe I do understand. Thanks for letting me vent a bit.

Upvote 0

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
wow
you know i have all kinds of KRF pieces but never seen notches like those....not ever

i like it a lot.....thanks for the look, very nice light colored KRF

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice point quito,i think they went early to prepare for christmas as the enemy likes to do things on our most precious days.im sure they will be fine sorry to hear about them going but like you said they have a job to do and think they will do it well

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Quito, my thoughts and prayers for your family and all of my military brothers and sisters.

As far as your point goes the maker of that point has the same disease that I have when I knap. Bad notcher syndrome, LOL

That knife river looks a lot like coastal plains. You found a source spot for that, let me know!!!

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother is a marine so I understand your pain thoughts and prayers my friend as you can look on to next Christmas !!!

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
wow
you know i have all kinds of KRF pieces but never seen notches like those....not ever

i like it a lot.....thanks for the look, very nice light colored KRF

Well, now it has me wondering if it isn't an indication of it's earlier size, when those notches wouldn't have looked so large. I have heard of similar notched pieces coming from around your old neck of the woods, Mobridge. And this piece came out of a collection from Timberlake.

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Quito, my thoughts and prayers for your family and all of my military brothers and sisters.

As far as your point goes the maker of that point has the same disease that I have when I knap. Bad notcher syndrome, LOL

That knife river looks a lot like coastal plains. You found a source spot for that, let me know!!!

Thanks Jon!

LOL, Looking at the rest of this piece tells me the guy was really a pretty good knapper. And my guess is, you probably aren't as bad as you make yourself out to be.

Well, I do have a friend that is going up to visit the knife river quarry soon, and I know he knows a rancher in the area up there, I will see if we can score you some. I found a good size chunk in a load of gravel a few years ago, and I wish I knew exactley where I put it. I'm afraid it is somewhere under all the other rocks I've drug home since, and covered with the ice and snow.

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
My brother is a marine so I understand your pain thoughts and prayers my friend as you can look on to next Christmas !!!

Prayer for our military is always in order. Thanks everyone!

Our oldest daughter got out of the corp just a few years ago, I'm glad she did too.

My dad was a career soldier, from Korea through Vietnam, retired in 75'. I remember us taking him to the airport a few times to go to SE Asia. I guess I was to young to really understand the suffering my mother and others in her shoes really went through. It's easy to see the strain in the daughters now though.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, now it has me wondering if it isn't an indication of it's earlier size, when those notches wouldn't have looked so large. I have heard of similar notched pieces coming from around your old neck of the woods, Mobridge. And this piece came out of a collection from Timberlake.

yup quito,.......... timber lake is just a half hour east of where i was borni
it is on the north edge of the cheyenne res and just close to the southern edge of the standing rock sioux res which lies on the ND-SD border,.......
we call your nice point a lewis variation (but i think we may be probably wrong) and after looking around we have a very few like that.....they are 500-1500 BP and nice KRF material
they are more likely a montana familiar type but being it was supposedly coming from the cheyenne river which is a tributary of the missouri it is most likely from the mandan, arikara , hidatsa bands
more likely arikara...................but whatev...................it is a nice example of one of the many styles of KRF.....
gotta say flint is found everywhere but KRF had the quality of being able to hold a sharp edge for a long time..........
.......this quality would lend itself to the making of knives and scrapers as well as points points usually only needed a shrp edge once maybe twice.....but scraper and blades needed a very durable ability...
.....of holding an edge for a longer time

Knife River Flint was the first export commodity of the Dakotas from thousands of years ago being traded through the trade networks............
....the amount of lithic material is vast in the Dakotas.....like KRF, TRSS, RBSW, agate, white pet wood, brown pet wood, all colors of jasper, porcellanite, chalcedony, agatized woods, etc and much more

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread