a very disappointing penny box... _*~picture_*~

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey folks, i just went through a penny box that turned out to be my worst, and most unusual penny box. not a single coin older then 1982, likely a CRH'ers zinc rejects, not that i keep copper pennies or anything, but NO wheats. I know my averages are pretty bad for wheats compared to others in my general area, but jeez, over half the box had MARKED PENNIES!! now, i can understand marking half dollars, but marking pennies seems a bit crazy. here's a picture of the various marks in the skunk penny box, all from the same person i am assuming due to the one color.
i also for one of those counterstamped pennies, i don't know why i save them, but i find them interesting, though they are only worth a penny.
hh
buff

IMG.jpg

Upvote 0

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't go all tkessler on us with your penny box rage.
:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Last edited:

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a annoying half dump.

WHO MARKS THE EAR OF JFK BLUE? Who the hell marks hundreds of coins in this manner?

haha, no issue, but it seems like a time burn.

Last edited:

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh dang. I mark my pennies(: I use blue and white marker. Sometimes i've done X's and lines, and "a" and spray painted them(:

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be worth going through them and separating out all the 98,99, and 2000 cents and checking for the wide AM.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been getting a lot of non half marked coins...including pennies. I've only picked up a few zinc dumps

HH
-GC

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have said it before - but I am considering compiling an 'Americana Marked Coin Set' as a conversation piece.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have said it before - but I am considering compiling an 'Americana Marked Coin Set' as a conversation piece.

I think I figured out why the "flamethrower" burns his coins. He kills two birds wit one stone this way. Let's say you have a box of paper wrapped coins. You don't even need to open the box let alone each annoying little paper wrapper. Just throw your unopened boxs in a pile, add lighter fluid. Drop match and wait 20 minutes. Wha-lah! All coins opened and marked.
Now if your doing halves your going to need to date check. If your running dimes through a Ryedale it won't effect your results.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i can honestly say this is the first time i've seen marked pennies in the last 5 years. i don't see how people can sit down and mark THOUSANDS of pennies either, not going tskelar on anybody, just gets my mind thinking, i caan't come to the conclusion on how effective it is to mark pennies, there are 256,711,666,817 zinc pennies out there from 1983-2008, why must one mark pennies, LOL. i was curious on that number so i might as well share it with y'all
hh
buff

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
The weirdest ( most time consuming) marks I've recieved on halves was 3 marks on each coin. green, red and purple marks on each coin and half, if not more, of the box was marked this way, Toooo time consuming to sit there and do that, IMO. Maverick.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can mark 100.000 in 30 sec not a big deal!! any coins any color.

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a annoying half dump.

WHO MARKS THE EAR OF JFK BLUE? Who the hell marks hundreds of coins in this manner?

haha, no issue, but it seems like a time burn.

yeah i dont understand why people dont mark the wrap instead. As soon as that coin gets dumped and put into the hopper the marking is useless but permanent. Marking the wrap is enough to show that the unit in question is already searched.

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Man, I feel your pain. That stuff only twice happened to me, and those were only a quarter boxes.
I hope that I will never come across such a penny box, though a solid 2012 box will be an exception to that.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah, have you been finding many 2012 pennies, CH?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread