A very Merry Christmas!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Five years ago, I was planting a row of raspberries in my in-laws yard. Turning over some sod, I saw a penny stuck right below the rights and discovered it to be an 1885 Indian head. I thought to myself, "I didn't just find the only old coin in this yard; I have to get a metal detector." In time, I did, and the rest of the yard turned out to be loaded with goodies. I found many more Indian heads, Barber and Mercury dimes, an 1843 large cent, silver Washingtons, wheaties and buffaloes and some modern stuff. It was one of my early sites. Today, my father-in-law gave me an old stash of coins he had been given over the years. He was a lawyer, and sometimes the only fee someone could afford was an old coin. These, like the rest of my finds, are designated for my two kids, but I get to enjoy them for a while. Attached is a picture of today's windfall, not found with a detector but interesting nevertheless. The most interesting, to me, is an 1842 half penny bank token from the Bank of Montreal, Province of Canada. I can't find information on it in my reference books, and haven't searched the Internet yet. Any help here? Other coins, chronologically, are: 1882 Morgan Dollar, 1917 Tunisia 5 Centimes, 1919 Canadian Quarter (silver), 1921 Morgan Dollar, 1938 Canadian penny, 1940 Canadian dime (silver), 1944 Mexico 50 Centavos (silver), 1944 Australia Shilling (silver), 1946 Tunisia 5 Francs, 1947 Canadian penny, 1953 Canadian dime (silver) and a pair of 1964 Kennedy Halves. None of the coins are real valuable, but they are nice additions to the collection and it was kind of my father-in-law to give them to us.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
My first picture was too big; I'll try another.

Attachments

• christmas coins (2).jpg
    christmas coins (2).jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 356

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Thats a good story. The silver is great!!

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
OOPS! I just found a typo in my posting! I didn't find an Indian under the rights, but under the roots. Now you know what I was talking about! Sorry.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post Halfdime! I have an 1844 Canadian Half Penny just like it, big O with and X in the middle on the obverse. I won it on a forum contest and that's all I can say. HH, Mike

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent story, and nice finds!

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread