A Very Nice Colonial Finds Day!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weather in South Jersey was cool this morning and for the first time in awhile that I had a chance to go out detecting, so off I went this morning. I wanted to detect at a place with very little underbrush/grass to prevent the ticks from having a field day and had just the right place in mind!

An isolated old (mid 1700s) sawmill site that I hunted twice before this year, but found no buttons or old coins, but did get three buckles, (1700s) so I knew there was still a chance for some more 1700 era relics.

I hunted for over an hour and almost no signals at all, the site is white sugar sand so digging was no problem, but lack of targets was for sure. I was about ready to think this might be a hunt with nothing to bring home when I finally got a good high tone signal on the XS and I knew it was a coin, but was it an old one or a drop by a hunter.

To my delight, despite the copper only being about 4 inches down in the loose sand, it was an oldies. I recognized right away by the ribbon design on the one side and what appeared to be a smooth reverse side that it was another typically worn down, long in use, William III Halfpenny (1695-1701). Now my hunt seemed to be a very nice one indeed. 1695-1701 William III Halfpenny Site240 19May09two.jpg

I did a thorough slow scan in the immediate are of where the William III was found and got another reading, that was much deeper but was not a coin. It was a very nice mid 1700s two piece, what we call "blowhole" button, and a rather large one at that! (22.5mm). 2pieceBlowhole button2.jpg

Now this was very close two where I dug a 1700s knee buckle a couple of months ago, so I knew I was in an area to really go slow. Well, it paid off, I got a reading that was a bit junky but by its depth I was sure it was going to be another old relic. It was, a very nice flower design cufflink! But the shank was not broken so that meant the link holding the two cufflinks together broke so there was a possibility of the other half being close by. Yes, it was, about two feet away I got the identical type of signal and now had my complete set of cufflinks. I spent some time hoping to find the joining link but to no avail. FlowerCufflinks2.jpg

To finish off the hunt, for then next 15 minutes I did a thorough search pattern around all the bushes and trees near where the relics were and did not get anymore diggable readings until I started to head back to the truck. About 20 feet from the area where I got the previous finds, I got another good target, not sure what it was going to be by the reading and tone but was pleasantly surprised to see a unbroken and made of high quality pewter, a Demitasse type Spoon! This spoon is tiny but I consider it along with the cufflinks the find of the day and possibly one of my best spoons ever found. It appears to be complete, I am not sure of the age of it but based on the appearance and the other relics found it must be also mid to late 1700s. My find of the day........... DemitasseSpoon.jpg

So overall, all the finds appear to be Rev War era or earlier, unless a visitor lost something later, but the sawmill site was abandoned in the late 1700s for a bigger one on a nearby stream, thus the lack of many targets.

The site is fairly large but a semi-desert like area, if anybody ever seen the NJ Pinebarrens, and the white sandy areas, with scrubby underbush, well that was this site......... A very enjoyable two hour hunt today, good for the month now! Site240May19 finds2.jpg

Upvote 0

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Don,

It didn't click in my mind on ARH that your spoon is pewter. You're definitely working in some favorable soil conditions. Did you clean the spoon with anything?

Kyle

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KylePA said:
Don,

It didn't click in my mind on ARH that your spoon is pewter. You're definitely working in some favorable soil conditions. Did you clean the spoon with anything?

Kyle

All cleaned with peroxide, q-tips, and coated with Blue Ribbon then buffed out......... Some pewter is of much higher quality than others and this is very solid pewter, otherwise it would not have gotten a peroxide bath.

All items were also in decent shape coming out of the ground, here is a blurry photo I took before cleaning of all items.

Attachments

• Blurry group shot.jpg
    Blurry group shot.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 803

skunemonk

Mar 6, 2006
Don, You have some real great finds there and some real old ones. I
really like the spoon. Congrats, way to go!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great day Don! I have little doubt the spoon dates with the other finds. Have not seen one like it dug here.

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
sweet spoon.
i've a soft spot in my heart for the william III's. did it id a little lower than a half penny usually does? base metals and all? somewhere between a pulltab and an indian?

nice hunt, dwayne

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
A little research and an equal amount of patience and look what you get. Those are some finds. Good on you!

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice relics and coins A++++on the work :thumbsup:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm comin over for dinner next sunday.

mad57

Greenie
Apr 24, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt spectrum

The site is fairly large but a semi-desert like area, if anybody ever seen the NJ Pinebarrens, and the white sandy areas, with scrubby underbush, well that was this site......... A very enjoyable two hour hunt today, good for the month now![

don where in the pine barrens were you, im smack dab in it here in tuckerton, we should hunt one day later mike.

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Love everything you found Don. That spoon is something special. The cufflinks and of course the copper are top notch. I'd go back to this spot and go real slow.
Chris

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Glad the weather cooled down enough for you to get out and score some great finds! I can't pick a favorite, but that spoon is unique and in great shape. Hope it stays cool enough for you to dig us some more! :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful finds, Don. It's great that the Wm. III was legible on the front.

The cufflinks are my favorite. :)

Best Wishes,

Buckles

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest: