Apr 20, 2009
Lowcountry, South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I recently dug half of a South Carolina civil war cavalry officers palmetto hatpin.The first photo is fresh from the ground with a nice green patina. My buddy Jimmie (JLREB) in Virginia told me most he'd ever seen were silver. He told me I needed to take a good look at mine and see if it was.Well I looked at it under a magnifying glass and sure enough I did see silver. I decided to take a chance and hit it with the jelly and I'm glad I did Here's what it looked like fresh out the ground.

the 2 nd picture is what it originally looked like in silver on the SC cavalry officers kepi.

No this is not the end of my post it gets a lot better
I get this email from a a relic hunter in Charleston. He asked me if I remembered digging with him and one of his buddies along with about 8 others ( 10 in all ) at a fort site in the lowcountry about 8 or 9 yrs ago. I said oh yeah I remember that! He told me he'd found the bottom portion of an SC hatpin in the fort that day and asked me if I rememebered.It's been a long time and I'd completely forgotton about it until now,but heck yeah I did remember. Well he's been looking for the top half of his pin for 8 or 9 yrs now with no luck. He then asks if I wanted to part with mine? I said oh no, I'm looking for the bottom now and would he consider parting with his? Well after a bunch of negotiating we came to an agreement both of us were happy with. I acquired the bottom half yeeehahhhhaaa!! His half was silvered too.The fort site was about 30 miles from where I dug my piece.It's hard to believe that they match so well, but they do even the break is in the right place How lucky is that?? After all these yrs of looking for one I've finally got something in my collection I've wanted for a very long time. Here's the 2 pieces together waiting for Leonard to put it together permenantly. I'm a very happy man!

Laszlo

Attachments

• yesterday.jpg
    yesterday.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 1,413
  • pintop.jpg
    pintop.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,409
  • hatpin.jpg
    hatpin.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,411
Upvote 0

trixie charger

Aug 31, 2010
N.C.
:icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut:

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BANNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

U

umrgolf

Think anyone still wonders if your stuff is dug? ::)

BANNERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beautiful find!

Bank Runner

Jan 10, 2009
Even if I wasn't a proud South Carolinian, I would still vote Banner for this find :hello2: Congrats on finding an awesome piece of history :icon_thumright:

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Beautiful piece of history!!! BANNER.........

trixie charger

Aug 31, 2010
N.C.
So how far fetched would it be to say the two belong together? They look like they fit perfectly :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

oh and BANNER :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: again!!!

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:headbang:
Thats a beautiful piece of history there with a great story! BANNER for sure LP!
Keith

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My GGG Uncle fought for the Hampton Legion Cavalry Brigade of South Carolina so this piece has a special spot in my heart. Any incredible piece of Southern history and so very Self Evidently a Banner Find!! CONGRATULATIONS My friend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread