A Very Short Hunt

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_0694.JPG The rain and wind finally let up so I was able to get out for just over an hour at an elementary school built in 1953. I've hunted this place many times since 1983 and dug quite a few silvers back then but none since about 1990 or so. I had just over an hour before it got dark and managed 14 clad coins worth $2.66 which was better than not hunting. The schoolyard, swing sets, monkey bars, soccer field, and baseball diamond was open to the public BUT the tot lot was taped off. I don't understand the logic but what do I know?

Upvote 8

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Theoretically the metal on playgrounds will allow up to 2 - 5 days. Copper 4 hrs. Aluminum 2 to 8 hours. Glass up to 5days. Paper 5 days. I strongly suspect you will have no problems unless of course these items come into contact of the mucous membranes. Bottom line: I have hit playgrounds over the past few weeks with no ill effect.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I don't see any nickels.(But for all I know you dug 20 push/pull tabs!) Have you ever tried going to that spot and working the nickel tones? I started in this hobby in 1984 myself and have found plenty of silver masked by nickels in "worked out" areas. Not too long ago I worked a curbstrip that was super clean. No targets anywhere, except two. One was a war nickel with a merc sandwiched to it down about 6 inches. The other I thought maybe was a chain as it was a wide faint tone and I had recently dug an old gold plated brass pocket watch chain that acted very similar. I swept over it moving around to decide where to dig...first coin out was a silver quarter and it was down with three nickels that were spread out several inches. I was using the at pro and both of these targets were mid tone. No inkling at all that I was digging silver.
Anyway, if you haven't, you could be in for some nice surprises out there.
Anywho....grats and good luck next time out.

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Theoretically the metal on playgrounds will allow up to 2 - 5 days. Copper 4 hrs. Aluminum 2 to 8 hours. Glass up to 5days. Paper 5 days. I strongly suspect you will have no problems unless of course these items come into contact of the mucous membranes. Bottom line: I have hit playgrounds over the past few weeks with no ill effect.

Not worried about touching anything......or catching anything. My point was that if the swing sets and monkey bars were OK to play on why not the playscape?

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't see any nickels.(But for all I know you dug 20 push/pull tabs!) Have you ever tried going to that spot and working the nickel tones? I started in this hobby in 1984 myself and have found plenty of silver masked by nickels in "worked out" areas. Not too long ago I worked a curbstrip that was super clean. No targets anywhere, except two. One was a war nickel with a merc sandwiched to it down about 6 inches. The other I thought maybe was a chain as it was a wide faint tone and I had recently dug an old gold plated brass pocket watch chain that acted very similar. I swept over it moving around to decide where to dig...first coin out was a silver quarter and it was down with three nickels that were spread out several inches. I was using the at pro and both of these targets were mid tone. No inkling at all that I was digging silver.
Anyway, if you haven't, you could be in for some nice surprises out there.
Anywho....grats and good luck next time out.
Thanks for the good luck wish...….

You're assuming I ignore or notch out nickel tones but in fact I do not ignore them ever. It just so happened that in the short time I was there, I didn't hear even ONE nickel tone. I've also hunted this site numerous times since 1983 and dug silver there up until around 1990.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad your getting out and digging some Ed. I wish you continued success in your future hunts.

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad your getting out and digging some Ed. I wish you continued success in your future hunts.

Thanks Roamer.....Be safe and good luck to you in your hunts.

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any swinging is better than no swinging, nice finds

Thanks SWINGER......I totally agree that any hunt is better than none at all. Good luck on your next hunt.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to get out thats a long time to not find silver in there sounds like some of the parks I hunt lol There may have had a broken slide or play thing thats why it was roped off ? anyway the thrill of the hunt can be just as good as finding the silver well almost .....Tommy

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good to get out thats a long time to not find silver in there sounds like some of the parks I hunt lol There may have had a broken slide or play thing thats why it was roped off ? anyway the thrill of the hunt can be just as good as finding the silver well almost .....Tommy

Thanks Tommy....it didn't surprise me to not find any silver because I've hunted this site off and on for the last 38 years. As for the roped off playscape, it's just a continuation of what many towns around here are doing because they think it will stop the spread of the "virus". It just seems silly to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread