A very strange find and maybe my best...

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• ww2 helmet 001.jpg
    ww2 helmet 001.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 3,261
  • ww2 helmet 002.jpg
    ww2 helmet 002.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 3,232
  • ww2 helmet 003.jpg
    ww2 helmet 003.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 3,205
  • ww2 helmet 004.jpg
    ww2 helmet 004.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 3,237
  • ww2 helmet 005.jpg
    ww2 helmet 005.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 3,237
Upvote 0
OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
The honest truth a month ago i bought the 10 disc dvd set of the complete history of WW2 :read2:
I have learned so much about the Luftwaffe in the past month and now i find this :icon_scratch:

Very strange :laughing7:

Blaze

Theakiki

Dec 28, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX550
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Westfront said:
I wonder a little what things sound good for some people....shooting from behind is not exactly the thing to be proud of...

I'm thinking about this, and wondering how far off base I am. Shooting from behind?!?!
This was WWII! I don't think that they commonly met at dawn, walked ten paces, then turned and fired at one another.
This was probably closer to, "Kill, or be killed!"

Probably more of an honorable killing than Mustard Gas. :dontknow:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy on the other side holding a rifle and wearing a helmet has no front or back.... :icon_thumleft:

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOLA_Ken said:
Definitely looks to be an original m-42 luftwaffe helmet. I wouldn't touch it at all, the guys who collect them are big on "as found" condition. The eagle is a decal, and messing with it in any way could destroy it. There should be a size stamp inside the rim although I'm not certain that all of them were stamped. Definitely has a good value as is, in the 4-800$ range, possibly higher with the liner and chinstrap.

I'm sure some kid got in a lot of trouble for losing his dads souvenir.....

I agree. The urge is always there to clean and fix and preserve, but without experience in selling these things and knowing how such changes affect the value for collectors and dealers, it's best to leave it alone for the time being, and do more research on the collector sites and maybe ebay forums. It's too late after you do the damage...

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theakiki said:
I'm thinking about this, and wondering how far off base I am. Shooting from behind?!?!
This was WWII! I don't think that they commonly met at dawn, walked ten paces, then turned and fired at one another.
This was probably closer to, "Kill, or be killed!"

Probably more of an honorable killing than Mustard Gas. :dontknow:
pvillehunter said:
The guy on the other side holding a rifle and wearing a helmet has no front or back.... :icon_thumleft:

I agree completely with that. But the post i respond to was more the like that every german with a helmet is a bad nazi and has to be killed. Being in service has nothing to do with politics, especially during wartime. Its a relic from sad days with lots of history behind. Nobody would say i dug a bullet which probably killed a damn yankee, thumbs up.... We are all digging history with good or bad behind and should leave it this way. :wink:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Westfront said:
the post i respond to was more the like that every german with a helmet is a bad nazi and has to be killed.
During WW2... I'm sorry but a truer statement could not be said. The same could be said about the opposition in ANY war. It is what it is. Not meant to be offensive and you shouldn't have taken it that way. War is hell.

OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
diggummup said:
Westfront said:
the post i respond to was more the like that every german with a helmet is a bad nazi and has to be killed.
During WW2... I'm sorry but a truer statement could not be said. The same could be said about the opposition in ANY war. It is what it is. Not meant to be offensive and you shouldn't have taken it that way. War is hell.

War is Hell...
And nobody wins a war.

The sad thing is there are alot of steps in place in the USA that were in Germany in these times..1933-1945..

Blaze

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure that is not what you were expecting to find but it is a great addition to your collection :thumbsup:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find and it has not been out there very long,I promise that.Leather does not last long in the elements and mice would have eaten it up.

As said,I dont think thats a bullet hole either but a shrapnel gouge,may not have even been fatal.

Doubtful any kids father brought this back either,more likely Grandfather

DirtDigler

Apr 10, 2010
Caroline Co., VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
I kinda doubt they'd send grandpa into battle. He was potentially somebody's Dad prior to being Grandpa, huh?

As far as the hole, that's anybody's guess. Could be shrapnel, could be a bullet, could be a bayonet. That secret will stay with the owner forever. Unless you want to get into forensic science.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DirtDigler said:
I kinda doubt they'd send grandpa into battle. But Germany did press old and young into combat, who knows? Might even have belonged to a 16 yr. old soldier.

As far as the hole, that's anybody's guess. Could be shrapnel, could be a bullet, could be a bayonet. That secret will stay with the owner forever. Unless you want to get into forensic science.
I think Kuger is referring to the kid that lost the helmet. It would have been his grandfather (current era) that was in WW2 not his father because the war ended some 67 years ago. May even have been his great grandfather's.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
DirtDigler said:
I kinda doubt they'd send grandpa into battle. But Germany did press old and young into combat, who knows? Might even have belonged to a 16 yr. old soldier.

I think Kuger is referring to the kid that lost the helmet. It would have been his grandfather (current era) that was in WW2 not his father because the war ended some 67 years ago. May even have been his great grandfather's.

Thank you,didnt think that needed to be explained......wrong again!!! :thumbsup:

DirtDigler

Apr 10, 2010
Caroline Co., VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Well, he's pretty sharp if he can determine the age of someone who lost something by looking at a couple photos, don'tcha think?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DirtDigler said:
Well, he's pretty sharp if he can determine the age of someone who lost something by looking at a couple photos, don'tcha think?

:-\

Tony (NC)

Dec 3, 2008
Claremont, NC
That's a cool piece!

I found a WWII helmet (U.S.) up in Richmond, VA several years ago. I gave it to one of the guys I was diggin' with. We were looking for war relics.....only from another war! I hope yours fits! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread