267865_197538886964009_6658589_n.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 116

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a buddy of mine had one of the Vietnamese water buffalos attack his point group. One of the guys used a grenade launcher on him but the grenade just bounced off his boney forehead and they had to shoot him to stop him. They are considered family members over there and the buffalo feel the same way about their owners. Your highway looks good, where were you?

OP
OP
Mekong Mike

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's highway 1 going north from saigon, near the town of Mui Ne on the coast.

pic: Mui Ne Beach

Attachments

• CH7Dd.jpg
    CH7Dd.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 79

moon222

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2013
MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett------Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that bull full grown???

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was riding my motorcycle and spotted this bull on the side of the road and gave him a hug.

Mike, your photo reminded me of being on patrol in 1969 outside of Camp Eagle RVN. I waded through a rice paddy and stepped into an overgrown thicket of tall elephant grass along the edge to conduct a search. When I slipped out of the thicket to link up with the rest of the squad, I came face to face with a big old water buffalo at the edge of the clearing. The water buffalo was as startled as I was. He stood there for a moment, snorted and then charged me. After deciding not to shoot it with my M-16, I ran back into the elephant grass and jumped into the rice paddy so I could circle around the buffalo. When I came up on dry land further away, he just stood there watching me and pawing the ground, but kept his distance. I found out later that I would have been required to pay for it and any anticipated offspring if I had harmed it. I guess there wouldn't have been any penalty to the owner if the animal had trampled or gored me. I swear, he was so mad it looked like smoke was coming out of his nose when he snorted...just like in the old cartoons of a bull fight.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While outside (west of) Tam Ky, We were on patrol outside the village. A water buffalo in front of us stepped on a "bouncing betty". It blew the abdomen open and a trail of guts. We shot it to finish the agony. Momma-sahn got $300 dollars from the U S Govt because we shot it. If we shot her son, she would have gotten nothing! TTC

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While outside (west of) Tam Ky, We were on patrol outside the village. A water buffalo in front of us stepped on a "bouncing betty". It blew the abdomen open and a trail of guts. We shot it to finish the agony. Momma-sahn got $300 dollars from the U S Govt because we shot it. If we shot her son, she would have gotten nothing! TTC

It was better for the water buffalo to set off that mine and take the hit than for a marine to be maimed by it. Thanks for your service Terry.

OP
OP
Mekong Mike

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if he was full grown, actually he looks young. He seemed so content munching on grass and didn't mind me touching him at all.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was better for the water buffalo to set off that mine and take the hit than for a marine to be maimed by it. Thanks for your service Terry.
You got dat right! When we still had CAP compounds (Combined Action Platoon), I was reading a novel, catching some rays, lying in a hammock strung from the sandbags at the comm bunker. A sniper took a shot at me and the bullet went between my nose and the novel, hitting the sandbags. I rolled out of the hammock and ran for the trench leading to the Ma Duece. I fell forward and another round hit the dirt in front of me. I dove for the trench as if it were a pool of water (ouch!). I got to the .50 cal and commenced to cutting down trees! We got together and went looking for Charlie. We found a bouncing betty under a tomato can on the path. We gathered round.... to find that one was not the one we were supposed to step on. Three more were in the grass within 4 feet of it! THOSE were the ones we were supposed to step on! But, we were too slick to fall for it.... we were already seasoned Marines and expected it. Charlie got away that day.We blew them in place. You can tell where Charlie is real active.... all the young kids have only one leg. They get one blown off from "toe poppers". Meant to maim. Thanks for the tnx, partner! Terry

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to make a hammock out of my shelter half and throw the poncho over it at night during the monsoon season. It kept me semi dry while getting shut eye and kept critters from snuggling up with me....rats and snakes that is. Gosh those rats were big as rabbits.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That picture reminds me of Eagle Beach near Tai Mai docks outside of Hue

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I was riding my motorcycle and spotted this bull on the side of the road and gave him a hug.

he really needed that hug, probably was going to be a meal next week. You made this bull's day, no you made his year, no this was the greatest single moment in the bull's life. most people all they want to do with bulls is......... you know the expression, they end up getting the horns, you on the other hand, you actually gave the bull a real, caring, hug. If I ever get the chance I'm going to repeat this good dead. Mark. My. Words.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread