A Walk in the Lot and a Coin Star Surprise

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

I have not posted any finds in a few weeks since the weather has been very cold and snow on the ground. Tonight we are supposed to get hit with a large snow storm, oh, what fun! But my daughter and I by accident had a good day without our detectors.

We decided to walk around the mall parking lot concentrating on areas of melted snow piles. Our walking/looking paid off with a $ 5 and $ 1 dollar bills blowing in the wind and a bunch of clad. After walking around we went to a food store for some of pre-snow storm supplies. While paying for the items my daughter says to me “Daddy there is silver in the Coin Star”. I said go and get it! She stated I’m too embarrassed; I said I’m not and proudly retrieved three nice silver coins from the reject slot. They were 1936 & 1953D Washington Quarters and a 1962 Rosie dime.

These beauties were her personal best one day silver finds!

Thank you for looking.

GL & HH

Doc

03_13_2017 Finds.jpg

Upvote 29

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa...! Big silvers in the reject tray! Good job...glad you got your silver fix for the day...Ddf

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always nice to find silver in the coinstars. I have been checking frequently and haven't found anything in the past month.

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the cash and silvers! And you didn't have to get your knees muddy! Win Win!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no shame either. I walk right over to the coinstar to check the tray. problem is - is that its always empty !

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool story Doc. Even without trying you find silver, congrats!
Your daughter might be your good luck charm!
With another 16" coming in today, not sure the detector will ever get out this year!
Bummer! I am starting to dislike snow.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
PoE you never cease to amaze me.

Congrats on the silver score!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have no shame either. I walk right over to the coinstar to check the tray. problem is - is that its always empty !

Me too..... Twice in 5 years have I found anything in the reject tray, and zero silver.

Congrats on the delights Doc!

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I love coinstar. Went grocery shopping on Sunday and checked the coinstar on the way out. $3.02 in clad (no silver) but big handful of coins. I guess they were a little sticky from something that got them rejected. Just LOVE coinstar.:occasion14:

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome! Every time I check the reject coin slot on the Coinstar machine at my local Walmart, it looks like it has been licked clean...:laughing9: Sub

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! I haven't found any silver quarters in the reject bin yet.

I started a few months ago checking Coinstars (kicking myself for not doing so years ago). My gf gets annoyed when I do it in her presence haha. I check anytime I can if I'm near one. I've also collected a handful of Canadian clad for the next time I go north of the border.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! I haven't found any silver quarters in the reject bin yet.

I started a few months ago checking Coinstars (kicking myself for not doing so years ago). My gf gets annoyed when I do it in her presence haha. I check anytime I can if I'm near one. I've also collected a handful of Canadian clad for the next time I go north of the border.

Lol...my wife is embarrassed...she will dis-own me when I'm rooting around the coin star machine...she once told me after shopping that she saw something in the reject tray but didn't grab it...I almost sent her back!! Ddf

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol...my wife is embarrassed...she will dis-own me when I'm rooting around the coin star machine...she once told me after shopping that she saw something in the reject tray but didn't grab it...I almost sent her back!! Ddf

Haha I told my gf to check Coinstars when I'm not with her and she said "I'm not f'n doing that", I'm like "there could be silver there".

I do feel like a bum sometimes doing it. I've also accumulated a handful of Chucky Cheese tokens, I'll take it all!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Great day for you, grats! I'm still looking for that big silver coin in the reject tray. 2 quarters and a dime would be fun for sure.

If you're not shy, next time at the coinstar, stick your head in and look through the holes in the bottom of the coin tray to see what fell through. Another TN'er told me he found a gold earring this way. Ever since then I look in the reject bin and the bottom of the tray through the holes.
My first silver from a coinstar was a sterling box chain necklace and it was at the bottom of the tray and had fallen through the holes. I keep a new pencil in the truck with two way tape on the end to stick down through the holes to retrieve stuff.
Another time I saw two small coins in the reject tray and sure enough, one was a 64 rosie. Really made my day! One other time there was a bunch of coins in the reject tray and I thought "this is it!" I grabbed them all and there were 3 quarters but all clad...kept looking and I couldn't believe there was a super nice 43s steel cent. Other than a few foreign coins, that was it for anything out of the ordinary.
Anywho, I keep looking through the holes and have found a couple of earrings, but both were costume jewelry/junk.

HH AND GL ALL!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have no qualms about looking in the reject slot at coinstar. I'm glad you had some quality time with your daughter.

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Against the Wind,

I believe I created a monster. :dontknow: Every time we are driving close to a grocery store my daughter wants to stop in and visit the Coin Star Machine. :laughing7:

Regards,

Doc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread