A week on Lake Superior beach working black sands

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back from the beach front, didnt get much, about a gram and a half of very fine fine flour gold, found out the last day I needed to dig deeper to get the better gold, I watched probably over an ounce of micro gold flow right on out what a bummer seeing that and unable to trap it. The micro gold was so small it just washed with the black sands. Found out one neat trick, that if you use the back side of the v matting it will catch gold as small as a needle tip but nothing smaller, caught a lot of pin head sizes that way. But the gold cube being advertised as 98% effective will no way in hell catch all that micro gold either. The only way to catch all that micro gold is using a miller table to separate the gold out, I will be building a potable one this winter. If anyone has a better idea of how to catch micro gold I would love to hear your input !

Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
yep the Miller Table will capture that fine gold after its been screened, but Mike Pung Made the Gold Cube just for gold like that and he made it because he goes to MI every year to work the BS from the shores!

Swampbuckster

Mar 30, 2012
LOWER MICHIGAN
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just got back from the beach front, didnt get much, about a gram and a half of very fine fine flour gold, found out the last day I needed to dig deeper to get the better gold, I watched probably over an ounce of micro gold flow right on out what a bummer seeing that and unable to trap it. The micro gold was so small it just washed with the black sands. Found out one neat trick, that if you use the back side of the v matting it will catch gold as small as a needle tip but nothing smaller, caught a lot of pin head sizes that way. But the gold cube being advertised as 98% effective will no way in hell catch all that micro gold either. The only way to catch all that micro gold is using a miller table to separate the gold out, I will be building a potable one this winter. If anyone has a better idea of how to catch micro gold I would love to hear your input !
So do you have a picture of your weeks effort? I'm having a hard time picturing a gram and a half of gold. Would also like to see the comparison of the fine gold you speak of as to what I am pulling around here in the southern lower.

Gold Cube

Feb 20, 2011
Midwest City, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
I feel your pain William, Russ is right. The frustration you are feeling with that Lake Superior gold is exactly why the Gold Cube was invented. We worked for two years and found a whole lot of ways how not to do it. LOL The whole trick was to get away from eddies caused by v-mat and riffles. Then we worked on volume. Find someone in your area with a Gold Cube and give it a try. I know you brought some of those back-breaking buckets home with you, I did, all the way to Oklahoma. I am going to be back up there the 23-27th of July this year. Maybe we can hook up.
Mike

jackragusa

Greenie
Nov 13, 2010
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have the same trouble in wa. beaches with the heavy bs and losing micro gold. Try this: SLOW DOWN! Try smaller scoops and let the machine work a little bit , just a few seconds longer between scoops will make a dramatic difference. Also, you need to be using a four stack, the three stack is not enough. We get about 37 or 38 five gallon buckets through the machine in 7 hours. Any more and yes, you will be losing gold. Also, try running about 5 five gallon buckets through the cube and then do a clean out and go back to running again. Clean out every 5 or 6 buckets. We seem to get more gold per day that way. Nothing out there yet has the ability to retain as much of the fine gold as the cube does. Just you have to be patient with it. Good Luck

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the streak of blacksand in this video. Makes me wonder if there isn't spots further on shore from earlier deposits.

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Gold Country, Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mighty fine vi-dee-oh. Beeeuuuteefull gold!!! I grew up in WI, you gave me a reason to visit kin more often! TKC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread