A weekend of firsts

Indianametal

Feb 19, 2013
west central indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ace250
I have always had no luck finding Mercs, its always either a barber or Rosie. Last week I was thinking on it and decided I was in too old of spots to really maximize my chances. So I seeked out permission at a house that was a Speakeasy back in the day. Wouldn't ya know it I found a merc. Unfortunately it was the only coin of a 2hr hunt. Tons and tons of scrap aluminum in that yard. I know its gonna have some goodies but its gonna take a lot of cleaning.
2014-08-28_09-06-31_877.jpg
The merc was a great start to my weekend having been another first marked off the list. Saturday I met up with my neighbor at an old church he recently got permission. While the signals were slim, I did manage two more firsts, a 1885or6 shield nickel and an undated SLQ.
2014-08-30_21-50-16_853.jpg

Upvote 6
OP
OP
Indianametal

Indianametal

Feb 19, 2013
west central indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ace250
Very true, I could of swore the book said they ended in 86 and figured the 86 I was seeing was the last two digits. Must be the middle two then. That would make it my oldest coin to date. The coin is worn smooth to the touch so I am afraid any type of cleaning will make it fully unrecognizable. Right now you can see the shield and clearly see the 5.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice SLQ save there ! Am at zero silver quarters so far this year, just haven't managed to get my coil over one it seems !

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds. Why not try soaking your shield nickel in some boiling peroxide and see if you can pull a date? Your next one will have more details so go for it.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver finds! Congrats!

OP
OP
Indianametal

Indianametal

Feb 19, 2013
west central indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ace250
As suggested I did a peroxide boil this morning. While the overall effect left it unchanged I was able to see the date while it was soaking 1867 clearly showed up in tiny bubbles. The date was so clear in the boil I was surprised when it came out looking the same as when it went in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread