A well aged find from the BC interior region.

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max international
Garrett AT Gold
Radio Shack MICRONTA 3001
AT propointer
34'' Bushpro stainless steel tree planters shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have learned over the years to keep locations of good finds secret as possible and always have "pull tabs and pennies" on the tip of my tongue just in case someone walks by and asks 'the question'
Was detecting a half frozen mudflat this weekend and noticed a young mother with her two boys and pup glancing over every now and then from a ways away as i was searching around some old features within short walking distance of shore.
Dug a few trashy targets while working my way back to shore when i noticed they were getting closer and were no longer poking in the mud and looking around. I knew they were going to walk up and start a conversation, so quickly knelt down to investigate a target i was sure was a pull tab just in case they were still watching, but before i had my pin pointer out the mother asked, from a step or two away, what i had been finding so replied "oh just pull tabs and pennies" as i located target and started to dig it out..
Was kind of surprized to pluck a small round object from the mud as they were all closely watching and guessed/asked "another penny?" though did not reply fast enough before the detail was visible and accidentally mumbled "silver? i'm not sure'' before realizing the gig was up.
They were almost as surprized as i was to see and hold a coin over 150 years old, specially since it was dug right at their feet and on a shoreline they had, I imagine, walked many times before.
Turned out to be the find of the weekend and even though is not really a rare or valuable find is one i can say i'm happy to scratch off of the bucket list.:)
shieldnic.JPG
sheild.JPG

1867 Shield nickel.
Cheers and happy hunting all! :occasion14:

Attachments

• sheild.JPG
    sheild.JPG
    667.5 KB · Views: 50
  • shieldnic.JPG
    shieldnic.JPG
    410.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Upvote 42
OP
OP
FinderTravis

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be a nice find indeed. Someday I'll come across one.
Thank you! Imagine the chances are fairly good with a mintage of over 28,800,000. Best of luck!

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! Imagine the chances are fairly good with a mintage of over 28,800,000. Best of luck!
Well...the way I've been going as of late, it would need to be something far higher than 28,800,000 mintage for me to find one, having said that, I'll keep trying. Nice little find there Travis...

Last edited:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I'm always surprised to find old US nickels in Canada...our 5 cent coin was smaller and silver for many years after that one started its life
A period drop or a later drop..either way a good find
Many of the older US coins like that I find aren't much to look at but yours is in pretty good shape !

OP
OP
FinderTravis

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...the way I've been going as of late, it would need to be something far higher than 28,800,000 mintage for me to find one, having said that, I'll keep trying. Nice little find there Travis...
Thank you! Concidering location and number of American emigrants vs Canadian settlers during that period guess chances were a little more favorable than average to pick it up. Cheers and best of luck for your future hunts!

Last edited:
OP
OP
FinderTravis

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the Shield Nickel.
Keep your eye open for arrowheads as there's a very good chance of picking them up.
Always do! though since not to long ago all one can really do with arrowhead finds in BC is take a photo.

OP
OP
FinderTravis

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm always surprised to find old US nickels in Canada...our 5 cent coin was smaller and silver for many years after that one started its life
A period drop or a later drop..either way a good find
Many of the older US coins like that I find aren't much to look at but yours is in pretty good shape !
Thank you! Strike of the 5C face looks slightly off center and is fairly worn on small portion of shield side, but am still very happy with find! Cheers and happy hunting.

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If that coin was a "Pattern Reverse" you could have given up your day job for a couple of months. You had two of the three requirements: Date and Without Rays; only missing the placement of one of the stars over CENTS.
Still a great find.
Don in SoCal

OP
OP
FinderTravis

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is new to me, that kind of sucks that a person can't pick any longer.
Found out a few years ago when i posted a point that was handed to me by an older fellow who had been finding them for decades, along with many others. Was a native friend, with an archaeological background, who let me know me collecting was no longer allowed and any finds had to be left in situ and reported to local band authority. Avoiding locations of achaeological/cultural interest is a good idea with a metal detector, but can be tricky to search said areas on most public map viewing formats specially if outside designated reserves. Was told reason for collecting ban and transparency changes are result of artifacts being removed from native grave/burial sites and culturally important, and even some cases, active archaeological sites then were being sold in under the table markets abroad.
basaltpreform.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
FinderTravis

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story with a nice recovery, congratulations!
Thank you! Enjoyed sharing the experience. Was great to see their reactions and was a totally unexpected find! The mother did also mention they were thinking of buying a metal detector so might have even helped inspire them getting into the hobby. Cheers!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found out a few years ago when i posted a point that was handed to me by an older fellow who had been finding them for decades, along with many others. Was a native friend, with an archaeological background, who let me know me collecting was no longer allowed and any finds had to be left in situ and reported to local band authority. Avoiding locations of achaeological/cultural interest is a good idea with a metal detector, but can be tricky to search said areas on most public map viewing formats specially if outside designated reserves. Was told reason for collecting ban and transparency changes are result of artifacts being removed from native grave/burial sites and culturally important, and even some cases, active archaeological sites then were being sold in under the table markets abroad. View attachment 2133992
Burial sites have been off the table since 1967 I believe when the legislation was passed.
Up till then one could basically dig up a mound.
If you a link regarding this "new" law pass it along.
Does it pertain to private property as well?

OP
OP
FinderTravis

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have learned over the years to keep locations of good finds secret as possible and always have "pull tabs and pennies" on the tip of my tongue just in case someone walks by and asks 'the question'
Was detecting a half frozen mudflat this weekend and noticed a young mother with her two boys and pup glancing over every now and then from a ways away as i was searching around some old features within short walking distance of shore.
Dug a few trashy targets while working my way back to shore when i noticed they were getting closer and were no longer poking in the mud and looking around. I knew they were going to walk up and start a conversation, so quickly knelt down to investigate a target i was sure was a pull tab just in case they were still watching, but before i had my pin pointer out the mother asked, from a step or two away, what i had been finding so replied "oh just pull tabs and pennies" as i located target and started to dig it out..
Was kind of surprized to pluck a small round object from the mud as they were all closely watching and guessed/asked "another penny?" though did not reply fast enough before the detail was visible and accidentally mumbled "silver? i'm not sure'' before realizing the gig was up.
They were almost as surprized as i was to see and hold a coin over 150 years old, specially since it was dug right at their feet and on a shoreline they had, I imagine, walked many times before.
Turned out to be the find of the weekend and even though is not really a rare or valuable find is one i can say i'm happy to scratch off of the bucket list.:) View attachment 2133755 View attachment 2133756
1867 Shield nickel.
Cheers and happy hunting all! :occasion14:
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
FinderTravis

FinderTravis

Nov 4, 2022
British Columbia.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold