A well roasted peacock

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
While hunting an old house site a while back, I recovered an ugly chunk of cast iron and chucked on the pile of miscellaneous iron. Today, I set up a new electrolysis tank, and grabbed the ugly piece for a test run. As it turns out, it isn't so ugly after all! Since it is pretty well burned, and came from the area where the chimney was, and with the type of slide mount it has, I believe it is a peacock decoration off of the fireplace andirons. I still have a bit more work to do on it, but I am pleased with the results so far.
I love stuff like this, even if it has no real value.

Attachments

• cstiron1.jpg
    cstiron1.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 940
  • cstiron2.jpg
    cstiron2.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 951
Upvote 0
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
VOL1266-X said:
Rob, that's a cool piece and the clean up is going well. Every relic has a story. WTG, Quindy.

Thanks Quindy.. I think the others are right .. a roasted turkey. Maybe as the excavation progresses, we will be able to find more. It's been put on hold until better weather rolls in.

scterryc

Jan 29, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett GTA 350
I can't wait to find some of this stuff.... I like old things that have a history to tell. Is nice to find the money items but to fd the old history stuff would be awesome as well..................... great find

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
scterryc said:
I can't wait to find some of this stuff.... I like old things that have a history to tell. Is nice to find the money items but to fd the old history stuff would be awesome as well..................... great find

Thank you very much! Welcome to T-Net!

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a good haul! Nice recoveries! :thumbsup:

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it too! What's the story with the avatar if you don't mind explaining it to a newbie?

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
aquachigger said:
I like it too! What's the story with the avatar if you don't mind explaining it to a newbie?

Not real sure what it was originally, maybe a top to hitching post . At first I thought it was part of a mechanical bank, but at almost 5 inches, I think it is too big for that. It was dug many years ago, be still ranks among my favorite finds.

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creskol said:
aquachigger said:

Not real sure what it was originally, maybe a top to hitching post . At first I thought it was part of a mechanical bank, but at almost 5 inches, I think it is too big for that. It was dug many years ago, be still ranks among my favorite finds.

It is very cool looking and I've never seen one before...

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All this time I thought that avatar was a cartoon.....now I realize its an iron object. :tongue3:

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Creskol, I agree and think your bird is a turkey. Peacocks were considered by some people to be bad luck; especially peacock feather brought into a house. Since your andiron top looks Victorian, and that era was superstitious group, I'd say turkey. Great job on the electrolysis so far. ;D Breezie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread