A Wild Tennessee WOLF SPIDER / W Young!!!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok... I made it sound a lot worse / better then it is. I found one of these 1-2 years ago and posted. But... I found another one 2 days ago. I am NOT a good photo person at all or claim to be. But with that said I did my best with my cheap camera. It's amazing (to me) to see this because I think not many people ever get a chance too. I tried to find the photo forum to share but me being me didn't know how? (Yes, I do own a Govt. mathematical / devise patent also - so what?). :laughing7: This momma Wolf Spider had HUNDREDS of young on her back and was VERY defensive while I trying to get these photos...!

Attachments

• DSCN0883.JPG
    DSCN0883.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN0885.JPG
    DSCN0885.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCN0886.JPG
    DSCN0886.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN0888.JPG
    DSCN0888.JPG
    815.5 KB · Views: 181

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing more heartwarming than a mother with her infant children.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can handle snakes all day, but those God awful things should be flamed out ^^^.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great photos! Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great photo. Apparently some here don't like spideys.....

kray

Mar 21, 2010
SW Ct. Formerly N Va.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
E Trac
AT Pro
Nautilus 11Ba
MXT
M6
6000 DiPro
Omega
Bounty hunter TR550
Heathkit homemade
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great, harmless spiders. They can jump like crazy!

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't mind spiders as long as they stay outside of my house! Cool photos and spiders help keep the flying insects at bay.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Great, harmless spiders. They can jump like crazy!

Harmless? What in our neck of the woods we call a Wolf Spider bit my great grandfather on the hand and that hand was crippled for the rest of his life.

When ever we kids were going outdoors, Granny always warned us to watch out for the spiders - thus from birth I've been Arachnophobic.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First thought that came to mind:

Terminate...with extreme prejudice! behead.gif

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This Wolf spider was about 2.5"-3" across. Since I'm NOT a National Geographic photo taker I missed all the best interaction. She actually raised up on her back legs with front arms spread to warn me. But I didn't get that photo shot (wish I would have). I probably could have sold that damn photo if I caught at the right time...?

No I didn't kill it or the young. It would be like spitting in the ocean and see if it rose. I actually love mother nature.

FYI: TRUE... I have 8 baby mice living in my "electrical drawer" out in my shop. There about ready to leave and when gone I'll clean out the nest, spray and vaccum. Then I'll ***** about the mice... That's just me.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Put your hand next to it, so we can get an idea of its size.

Ok Mr. big ones.... These things have fangs and I'd be hard pressed to kick its ass 1-1... You need to come on down from the North and I'll introduce you 2... :laughing7: And if that doesn't "impress" you I'll introduce you to Mr. Copperhead and Mr. Rattlesnake. I know exactly where they live... Brad

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was cleaning out my garage one fine day and out pops a good sized wolf spider. It startled me so I whacked it with a broom and it exploded with baby spiders! Those things went everywhere. Apparently, I only stunned the mom and she shuffled off. Still creeps out.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Spiders? Big deal.. you got .. chiggers!!!!!!

You bet he does and they are the worse of the worse. Hell, if I had a choice, I think I would take on the Wolf Spider before I would go trolling the woods around Brad's for chiggers. Once you have had a case of them little nasty Ba&*(()ds, you never want to go back in the woods.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You bet he does and they are the worse of the worse. Hell, if I had a choice, I think I would take on the Wolf Spider before I would go trolling the woods around Brad's for chiggers. Once you have had a case of them little nasty Ba&*(()ds, you never want to go back in the woods.

Great.. I was going to visit him...winter maybe?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
those spiders are SCARY looking ( even worse than bigwavedave)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread