A Year Without Beach

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outside my sliding glass door there's a 10x10 concrete pad, this being laced by three-feet of decorative white gravel and rock, a four-foot high stained privacy fence surrounding this. This is my make-shift Indiana beach.

I go to the dollar store from time to time and buy those dollar packages of seas shells to scatter about in the decorative gravel and rock so my four-year old granddaughter can hunt through them and gather some up to take home. She thinks there, “so darn breathtaking.”

The other day my granddaughter was on this patio and I gave her one of those jelly cups you buy at the grocery store, she accidentally turned it upside down and out came that glob of jello. My first instinct was to quickly warn her not to touch it or to step on it. Damn glob was red, a ptsd on my part, perhaps.

Last week I got the cops called on me while playing in an elementary school sandbox, lawn chair, swim trunks, metal detector and scoop, dark sunglasses and flip-flops. Three days prior the same two cops showed up at the city park to find me standing at the edge of the river watching the carp swim about and shouting, “LOOK AT THE MANATEES! LOOK AT THE MANATEES!” Same lawn chair, swim trunks, metal detector and scoop, dark sunglasses and flip-flops. Also mask and snorkel.

Did you know they make “a special beach jacket” with long sleeves and a lot of straps? Apparently they do. These were the same two cops who responded to the 911 call when I had that seizure in front of the jewelry store inside the mall, swim trunks, metal detector and scoop, dark sunglasses and flip-flops. Also mask and snorkel. Probably a good thing that I had that seizure before I went inside the jewelry store. Nice cops, really. A couple of nice and thoughtful fellas. They gave me that special beach jacket for free. Even wrote my name on it.

I'm back home now and it appears that I'll be needing a new load of sand, darn stuff keeps getting tracked outside. If it gets too low the pet seagulls start pecking away at the carpet and the sand crabs have no place to hide. My neighbors keep insisting that I go to rehab but I don't even drink. :dontknow:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Lol! I don't think I would have told that! Lol

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Luck Brother, Hope someday you can smell that Salty mist again...

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to admit, I am really confused? :dontknow:

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the laughs, BigScoop.

Hope you will be able to get out there ASAP!

Lorraine

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
A little humor goes a long way sometimes. I miss the beach! :laughing7:

I completely agree! I couldn't live that far from the beach myself!

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back!! :) Hope you will be able to get out there ASAP:hello2:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
general-direction.gif

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well...at least you are getting established in the local community.
Folks leave you alone more that way ,beyond a "do you need help " asked on occasion.
A big smile and a "yes I need big help!" is often enough to relieve their concerns.
Welcome to landlubberville. It's cozy here.
A lot of beaches but not like Florida's .
A history too, but cold water most times.
Good idea on the seashells..
Remember your brutal findings next time you bail and head north; and let it be a bitter experience. :laughing7:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was walking through a garage sale the other day and I spotted a full 3mm wetsuit in excellent condition for $10, just my size. I almost bought it but still way too hot here to wear it to the mall. :laughing7:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...at least you are getting established in the local community.
Folks leave you alone more that way ,beyond a "do you need help " asked on occasion.
A big smile and a "yes I need big help!" is often enough to relieve their concerns.
Welcome to landlubberville. It's cozy here.
A lot of beaches but not like Florida's .
A history too, but cold water most times.
Good idea on the seashells..
Remember your brutal findings next time you bail and head north; and let it be a bitter experience. :laughing7:

It's been like a chain disaster. I start physical therapy on the 10th, but not related to my heart at all. Instead, I got to feeling somewhat invincible again and managed to screw up my lower back and spine. :laughing7: Doc says it will all be back good as new in short order but I fear what might follow after that is all healed up. :laughing7: I've heard the term "train wreck" used a lot in the past and now I know what it really means. :laughing7:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been like a chain disaster. I start physical therapy on the 10th, but not related to my heart at all. Instead, I got to feeling somewhat invincible again and managed to screw up my lower back and spine. :laughing7: Doc says it will all be back good as new in short order but I fear what might follow after that is all healed up. :laughing7: I've heard the term "train wreck" used a lot in the past and now I know what it really means. :laughing7:

don't get me started - every day I walk in a daze and ask people if they got the number of the bus that hit me
detecting is the only thing that I can focus on and takes the stress and pain away - my doctors keep asking me if I can move to Fla. and retire and detect everyday
they say that would be best medicine for me

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went 3 months living in a part of the U.S. where I couldn't go to the beach at will. I totally understand your humor or insanity! :)

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Any time you need a detecting partner...give me a shout. I had the following experience last year.

Mid February, chest deep in the 39F degree water 36 air temp and digging a few sinkers and an odd coin I ignored a couple on the beach. Ten minutes later two more shadows on the beach, with shiny spots on their chest, yelling at me. Time to acknowledge their existence. OH, red and blue lights and big red and green trucks. It looked like Santa was caught breaking into the condos and only delivering late Christmas presents. NOPE, the shadows wanted to talk to me...two minutes later I was standing tall...only to hear "Aw, it you Rick". Yep, just doing my thing. Then the rest of the story...visitors were concerned for my well being and when I did not reply to their antics, they called 911. The reason for the fast response was that there was an elderly gentleman who had walked out into the ocean and went under, presumably on purpose. Sad way to go. No problem, I'll be careful and then I apologized to the two local police, 2 Environmental officer, state trooper and many firemen and EMTs. I then thanked them for such a fast response. The only thing I regret is that they turned the rescue boat around before it showed up and I did not get to see it.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I know it would be so hard to not be able to detect...it is what keeps many of us sane! But detecting in Florida isn't always great either. I miss those beaches in NJ where I come home with $8-$10 in change. Here I'm lucky if I bring home a buck each time I get out! well....it does keep me busy and it is a beach. On the plus side are the dolphins and manatees I see daily. Love your humor bigscoop!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The beach is that great big expanse of wide open space and sand that provides endless attraction and entertainment even when you're doing absolutely nothing. :thumbsup:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The beach is that great big expanse of wide open space and sand that provides endless attraction and entertainment even when you're doing absolutely nothing. :thumbsup:
My favorite place in all the world...I couldn't imagine a year with no beach...its my therapy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread