A ?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week I dug a common date Washington 1/4 [silver] , it was only buried 1" or so down , I recovered it by digging it with my shoe ,when doing so it put hair line scratches on it , the coin was already scratched but the darker patina had filled them in , So does anyone know how or how long it will take the 1/4 's new scratches to darken if I were to rebury or sit it outside for awhile . I just would like the new bright silver scratches to match the darker patina of the rest of the coin as much as possible. THANK,S FOR ANY ADVICE OR OPINIONS. :thumbsup:

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
There's a couple of ways you can tone coins. The most natural way of doing it would be to clean your coin (with something like pure acetone or something, since we're retoning it anyways its not going to much matter that its cleaned) then stick it in a manilla envelope (they key is that the manilla envelope has sulfur in it) and put it somewhere where it can get heat (on a hot water heater, near a radiator, etc.) a couple months later and you should have a nicely toned coin.

Other methods involve putting your coin in a bag with a hard-boiled egg or directly applying sulfur compounds to your coin. Those methods are quicker but certainly won't look as "natural"

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would be the point? If it's a common date Washington and scratched, it's just silver value anyway. If you want a nice one to look at, get one from a coin dealer.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
There's a couple of ways you can tone coins. The most natural way of doing it would be to clean your coin (with something like pure acetone or something, since we're retoning it anyways its not going to much matter that its cleaned) then stick it in a manilla envelope (they key is that the manilla envelope has sulfur in it) and put it somewhere where it can get heat (on a hot water heater, near a radiator, etc.) a couple months later and you should have a nicely toned coin.

Other methods involve putting your coin in a bag with a hard-boiled egg or directly applying sulfur compounds to your coin. Those methods are quicker but certainly won't look as "natural"

One product that I've used is Liver of Sulfur.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
One product that I've used is Liver of Sulfur.

That's what it was, I knew that there was a name for it but couldn't for the life of me remember what it was.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
If you can't find any sulfur liver just find a fresh cow patty, poke it in and come back in a week.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would be the point? If it's a common date Washington and scratched, it's just silver value anyway. If you want a nice one to look at, get one from a coin dealer.
THE point IS ,THATS WHAT I WANT TO DO!

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thank everyone for the helpful reply's Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread