Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try rechargeable...will save you a ton of money.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Boatlode

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I did the recharging thing for awhile, but I found that recharged batteries didn't last nearly as long as new ones. So I went back to buying new ones.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Boatlode, have you tried the high amperage AA batteries? I've bought several different brands of the higher mAh batteries (2000 to 3000 mAh) and IMHO, they last almost if not as long as the cheaper alkaline batteries. I've used a lot of different brands of alkaline batteries and haven't found many that will last much longer than the high amp rechargeable ones. I use rechargeable ones in my detectors, radios, flashlights, clocks, etc. I have AAA, AA, C, D, and 9 volt rechargeable ones and am very satisfied with the results.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get at lest 30 hrs. out of 8 AA alkaline, haven't had much luck with rechargeable ones. I would need 2 sets both charged and with me...in case.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
On the way to dig in the dirt, needed some batteries, stopped at a Dollar Store, and picked up a pack of Duracells. But on the same display I saw a pack of 32 no name AA's for $5.00, so I figured what the heck, and picked them up too. Those no names lasted about 1/4 of the time the Duracells did - but, for 32 @ $5, I guess they were actually worth it.

But, I will note that as they ran out of juice, I very quickly removed them - concerned about leakage.....

OP
OP
Boatlode

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
On the way to dig in the dirt, needed some batteries, stopped at a Dollar Store, and picked up a pack of Duracells. But on the same display I saw a pack of 32 no name AA's for $5.00, so I figured what the heck, and picked them up too. Those no names lasted about 1/4 of the time the Duracells did - but, for 32 @ $5, I guess they were actually worth it.

But, I will note that as they ran out of juice, I very quickly removed them - concerned about leakage.....

I have not noticed any significant difference in battery life between the so-called "no-name" brands and the "premium" brands like Duracell and Energizer. In fact, I have been told that there aren't that many battery manufacturers, and most of them come from the same place with different names on the label. So until I see otherwise, I will continue to buy whatever is on sale. By the way, I have used Radio Shack brand batteries a lot, and they last every bit as long as the Duracells.

The only thing that definitely will affect battery life is their age. I will not buy batteries without a date code on them, no matter how cheap they are. The Radio Shack batteries are dated on the package.

Last edited:

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with most AA batteries and if you can get them on sale at least your saving some cash for Gas :)
Just have to remember to keep a spare set in the car:coffee2:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

The Duracells are guaranteed not to leak for 5 years. That is also there shelf life. Frank...

OP
OP
Boatlode

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I just stumbled into this video, haven't tried it yet!

OP
OP
Boatlode

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I may have been a moron if I had not stumbled into the 2nd video :(

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering when someone might try that 6V battery stunt. Hehh hehh hehhh....... seen the one with the Car Battery yet? LOL

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Modern alkaline AA have a shelf life of about 5 years before they start to deteriorate. So... When they're on sale, it is time to stock up for the long term.

I recently bought a bonus pack of 24 Evereadys at Target for $13.99 (that is about one season's worth). That's .58¢ each. I can buy a package of 100 from Jabro wholesale, and they cost .51¢ each. Not much of a savings, really when you consider shipping and taxes.

I echo the issue about rechargeables. Unless you detect several times a week, they just aren't worth the hassle. What's more, unless you buy premium rechargeables (2,400 mAh), a AA will outlast any of them.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I was wondering when someone might try that 6V battery stunt. Hehh hehh hehhh....... seen the one with the Car Battery yet? LOL

Yeah, when I saw the one with the car battery, that's when I went looking and found the rebuttal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread