AAAARGH!!!! Sniped!!!!

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Was dumping yesterday at a bank I normally frequent, and struck up a conversation with one of the tellers whom I didn't recognize. Turns out she works at another branch across town, and was filling in for someone else that day. When I told her I collect half dollars and large dollars (I held up an Ike for her to see), she commented on how she had 82 of them in her drawer at her branch that she really wanted to get rid of. "Some of them are pretty old..." I told her I'd be there the next day to take them off her hands.

Fast forward to this morning, and I'm there bright and early, having driven across town, figuring I'd come in to work a bit late but with the chance of a huge score. She sees me and says sorry, someone else bought them yesterday. I had neglected to give her my cell number, and she was unable to call me to tell me not to waste a trip. Even worse, the guy next to her said he thought a lot of the coins were silver!

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

On the bright side, one of the other tellers told me she got "those type" of coins in fairly regularly, and asked me for my contact information so she could call me as soon as any came in.

Upon reflection, there really wasn't anything I could have done differently to change the outcome. The teller who had the coins didn't have them in her possession yesterday, and I got there as soon as they opened. I would have gone there yesterday, except that she told me that the coins were in her drawer, and that she didn't think anybody would get them out.

Hopefully some good comes from this eventually.

FT

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh man ...just hearing stories like that makes my stomach uneasy. Well hopefully she'll be calling u soon when she gets more of "those type" of coins and u can find some old silver coins like the ones that got away.

Good luck.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I just hope they were messing with you or didn't know what they were talking about. But I know those feels. I went to one of my favorite banks and they told me I missed out on a lady that had two bags full of V nickels and buffalo nickels. :(

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man the tellers are really starting to get to you guys- lol
I still dont believe 90% (get it) of what tellers say- they probably have a secret society that they all get good stories to spread around lol

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how it works at banks - do tellers keep stuff like that in their own personal teller drawer, so that if they are away for a day it is there when they get back, or does another teller just fill in at the same drawer and can snipe or sell the coins as they like? Seems odd they would go away in a one-day window like that.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just sniped the snot out of somebody on Ebay........got the one coin I ALWAYS wanted.

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
do tellers keep stuff like that in their own personal teller drawer, so that if they are away for a day it is there when they get back

that's generally how it works, and it's what the teller I talked with had apparently expected. However, I've seen it work both ways. Bad luck, IMO.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only like the story ..
Not the fact you wasted your time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread