Abandoned Abkhazia

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
We've read about the short war in Georgia, a republic of the FSU...
Abkhazia is/was part of Georgia, and had been a favorite vacation spot of Russians.
Easy to see why, very green and scenic, even following the collapse.
Many more amazing pictures at the site...

Many things have been cannibalized and stripped, but there is SO much that has just been left sitting there. Only thing I can figure, is there is just NO market for the scrap.
And there's a LOT of it!

It makes me wonder how much effort I should put into salvage here, at this time.

I think it's scary...
What do you think?
rlocosalv.jpg
ryardsalv.jpg
rscrap.jpg
rmptr

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where the heck are the people? There's no sign of any activity in those pics. Maybe you should take the opportunity to get a shredder of large magnitude together and begin crushing/shredding and stacking while we wait for the global economy to pick up.

Maybe the people that aren't there took the global economy with them?

pat1011

Jun 28, 2008
Limerick
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer II
take care when shredding there as you can end up with some mines/shells/grenades in your scrap...

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed! I've seen lots of pictures like these. Can't understand why someone doesn't get one of those engines, restore it & a few cars and start hauling scrap to the Harbor?!?!

Off target a little, at least get a detector & search all the houses and yards ;D ;D

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
There are many places like that over there, thee is another thread in Ghost towns about another entire city that is abandoned. Here is the link. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,290388.0.html
Please scroll down to the last post I added to this tread. You will see there are additional links there. The issue is that the Soviet Union is no longer there in that country to bring money into the local areas. So the previous jobs / industry are GONE!!! The local governments have little money to spend to keep some areas even open so they are left to wither and decay. Many of them are small farming communities and I read on one of their sites that they make less that $100.00 a month to live on. So if the jobs are no longer there people move away until they can find a place that they have a chance of making a living. It just isn't the towns, but military bases, government facilities, sub bases, airports, aircraft, train yards, and the list goes on. There are numerous pics and I have spent hours browsing through the web sites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread