Abandoned cache of bank robbery loot?

OP
OP
Red Fox 4

Red Fox 4

Mar 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I do have a gold pan and some mesh and a 5 gallon bucket as-well but that is not what I am looking for Red Desert. It kind of anger's me that I would get a big reading on that spot while searching for gold coins (not nuggets or flakes but I had specified when dowsing A CACHE GOLD COINS) I do not understand how you would get a very small reading and unable to tell if it is a cache and would get the very complete opposite??? Thank you for your help though Red Desert. I will be over here banging my head into the wall if you need me as I really do not want to be gold prospecting and spending my day sifting through dirt for flakes I want to find a cache of coins or even one until I can get back to that spot that this thread was originally about cause I'm seriously flat broke (spent it all exploring far off lands and for no profit). I know what you are saying though and I do appreciate it very much RD.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I won't call it a weak signal, after all a hit is a hit. Where I got it is a little above your X.

The reason I mentioned the native gold, if dowsing on a known placer area (however large or small) gold coins were made from processed native gold. I believe I've learned (most of the time) to tell the difference. I'd expect the coins, do a good job of searching things out. But, in the end you'll have your explanation, whatever results be.

OP
OP
Red Fox 4

Red Fox 4

Mar 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for the explanation Red Desert. I didn't know that about native gold being made into coins and it sometimes registering as native. That's interesting. I appreciate your kindness and the time you have taken out of your day(s) to help work on these thing's with/for me. Signal lines are really cool btw. It's a blast to walk them and I had noticed that they usually cross on cardinal directions as one walks the S to the target. I had checked for depth on the X I had found (where the rod's had crossed at the end of my signal line) and it had appeared to be about 2 1/2-3 feet down. The L-Rod's are so much fun and I very much look forward to finding my first cache of anything valuable. Oh what a day that will be when I hear the metal detector go nut's and it is not a nail or I am digging and it is in fact not a rock or a root. 8-)

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an idea Red Fox 4, use this all the time checking stuff whem map dowsing. You have a spot where the Au signal was picked up. Go back over your map agian checking the same area for coins (any coin in general). By eliminating gold from the search criteria, all types of coins can be dowsed. Exclude the rest of map and focus around your hit.

If any coin cache is there, should be a hit the same spot as the X (or close to it). Might go out there do the process over again, using L-rods from different directions (remember to only focus on coins). If for some reason no coin hits, try for jewelry (any type) without specifying the metal composition.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Red Fox 4

Red Fox 4

Mar 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you very much RD. I dowsed the general area for coins and got two hit's one being far away and to the upper left and one being far away and to the bottom left. I checked to see if they we're caches to which the pendulum had said that no they we're not. I then focused on my target area and got a very big yes from the pendulum when I had asked if there we're any coins on or near the target. I asked if this was in-fact a cache of coin's to which also a big Yes (there we're no other places on the map containing caches according to the pendulum only the target area). I asked if this cache included gold coin's again a very big yes. I do not know if I did it right but I did it the best that I can understand it. I had then picked up a number chart and had asked at what depth the cache of gold coins was resting and it had went in between the 2' and the 3' which is the same as my field check with the L-rod's. I checked the area also for any Jewelry and it gave me the exact spot where you had previously marked as a target. Wow. Thank you for teaching me that RD. Hopefully the target I got will yield me some delicious coins and if not at least I learned something new : ) I've never heard that term 'Au' before but I would imagine it to be the same as 'target.'

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, always best to check things out, helps to have a good metal detector. I know a couple times I've map dowsed for other people, on a site with carved rock treasure signs. The spot marked turned out to be an empty deep hole, very old moss covered from years ago. I think most dowsers on this forum agree, empty cache holes can be dowsed.

Well, you got your spot marked, it probably isn't right on that hole you found, let's go get it!

OP
OP
Red Fox 4

Red Fox 4

Mar 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Red Desert (or anyone else that wants to chime in). How on earth would it be possible for anyone to bury a cache (probably from the 1800's and before tractors had been invented) below a level of dirt that is so hard that a pick axe is barely able to do any damage. I was in the right spot on the map today and had dug exactly where the cache had supposedly been buried and yet I had hit dirt so hard that I would almost need to bring in a tractor to unearth the area. I just cant see someone in the 1800's with a shovel hitting impossible dirt and then burying their cache a foot or more underneath said impossible dirt. It doesn't compute.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the AZ desert you can have cemented gravel, they had dynamite or hard work to break it up during mining operations. Where placer gold is found, cemented gravel is a clue to finding a spot the early miners may have missed. If you found a hole, somebody must have been able to dig.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red Fox 4, you might try wording the question a little diferent, see what happens. Ask if there is enough native gold to make gold coins or jewelry.

OP
OP
Red Fox 4

Red Fox 4

Mar 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I had actually scrapped together enough money to go to the site where you okie and art had marked for gold silver and paper money. Couldn't resist. My L-rod work is so screwy though. Me: "L-rods please show me the EXACT location where the gold and or silver cache of coins and paper money is resting please." Answer from rod's: Sure, Red Fox just dig these first three giant holes for absolutely no reason, I'll make sure to cross on all kinds of irrelevant places for you to enjoy...LOL." The red X is where my Rods had indicated it was at upon my initial search for it with the rods in the field. The Gold X is the spot I had originally map doused it at and had had confirmed by everyone else and my L-rods also hit yes on that after I had given up digging in the previous spot. The green X is the target that I had gotten after re-map dowsing it and is the only spot I have not dug yet but all three spots give me a yes with the rod's which is frustrating as all hell and I had hit solid earth on the red and gold colored X's. I would almost need an earth saw to go any deeper in those spots

Spot2Eloy12.JPG

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some signals, don't really have a target id yet on it. At the red solid circle, depth goes down to where signal disappears at about 10 ft deep. You would remember or if not check to see whether the ground has ever been excavated in any way? Thought at first it might be loose coins, check for signs of anything.

Attachments

• Spot2Eloy12- Red Fox 4.JPG
    Spot2Eloy12- Red Fox 4.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
OP
OP
Red Fox 4

Red Fox 4

Mar 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
10 feet? Holy cow. The ground becomes solid at about 2 feet in that area and I do not know how to check if there had been excavation in that area. The spot where the yellow X is (above pic) is where you, Art, Okie, and myself had all gotten a hit for a cache of Gold and Silver coins with the cache also containing paper money. Here is a picture of the other site in that field and Okie had commented that he had dowsed a cache of gold and silver coins there (no paper money).

cache21.JPG

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is a cache, I know that a certain percent of these type dowsed hits, turn out to be only loose silver coins (gold if you're lucky).
Often loose coins can be down deeper because of erosion, flash flooding (with rock or mud slides), or where heavy equipment was used to excavate (such as on construction sites). All it takes is a few loose older coins, maybe along with a couple old relics, your dowsing instruments are going to respond, this will seem like a very good hit.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about that deep signal, not really getting any type of target id on it (someone could have dug a hole there looking for treasure). One thing I didn't do on this map, is check for loose surface stuff. Here is a remap, general definitions from my file on marked spots.

Red outline circles for places to check metal detecting, for mostly loose coins/treasure or artifacts of value, from surface down to 1-2 feet deep.

Attachments

• Spot2Eloy12-B- Red Fox 4.JPG
    Spot2Eloy12-B- Red Fox 4.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 109

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did get a gold signal and 3 ft or less deep. Might only be a single lost gold coin (or other man made gold object) but if it turned out to be a gold cache......this would be even better. A good reason to own or have a friend who does have a 2-box detector and metal detector with a large coil.

Attachments

• cache21-Red Fox 4.JPG
    cache21-Red Fox 4.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 99

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just noticed on my remap, going back over again checking my signals. Between your Xs and my top left large red outline circle, found a new hit 3 ft or less deep, good to check out just in case it's a cache.

Attachments

• Spot2Eloy12-B2- Red Fox 4.jpg
    Spot2Eloy12-B2- Red Fox 4.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 100
OP
OP
Red Fox 4

Red Fox 4

Mar 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Red that is great. Thank you so much for going over those pictures in detail for me! I cannot wait to get back out there! Heck, even if it is just one single lost gold coin somewhere in that field it would completely make my day.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red that is great. Thank you so much for going over those pictures in detail for me! I cannot wait to get back out there! Heck, even if it is just one single lost gold coin somewhere in that field it would completely make my day.
You tried to send me a PM that made my inbox full, I deleted a bunch of them, should get it now.

OP
OP
Red Fox 4

Red Fox 4

Mar 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh it was nothing important RD was just saying hello and had wanted to mention that I had found a real nice pick axe up in the mountains which is a lot better than the one I previously have so it should make my job a lot easier. Found a nice shovel too both we're abandoned. That place in the NE part of the mountains from here in town where I had found that possible cache...turns out there was a -lot of gold panning in that area so no doubt that area does contain some native and would make a nice place to pan should I ever want to do some of that. The picture where you had marked that 10' depth on sounds to me like it could possible of been some kind of fence post perhaps. I don't know about a fence post going down 10' feet deep but if it is a fence post and there is in fact a cache there it would only make sense that it would of been buried next to a post instead of just in the middle of no-where being as fence post's are hot spots. The other spot where you had an indication on the other pic seems to pretty much be along the same line that a fence post would of been but who knows.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread