Abandoned mines

2fishon

Jul 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
The area where I live has alot of abandoned mines. As far as I can tell most of them were left in the 1930's or at least in the depression era. Was there something that happened during that time that led to the mines closing? Most of these mines are small operations. They really have not been worked at all since then, at least not officially.

Mines were closed during the world wars to concentrate on copper/iron/war materials. The older "hand steel mines" were not economically viable at $16 a oz or so they had to be at least 1 oz a ton--now thats a HUGE payday. BUT them ratholes are EXTREMELY dangerous and this alone a dozen or so newbies have died. Tons a au 2 u 2-John

It's all like gold fever and the rush to get rich quick. Once upon a time when gold or silver was found everyone and their brother rushed to seek their fortune and most often it ended in disappointment. First it was the gold and silver rushes, then the oil, and then uranium, etc. Find it and they will come. The mountains of Colorado are full of abandoned mines. My uncle use to have one he visited in his liesure and found enough to pay for his trip plus a few bucks extra. But he kept it secret and it even had an old cabin to sleep in. He found a cash box some old coins and a only slightly rusted revolver under the floor boards of the cabin. It's location died with him even though he always told me he would show it to me someday. He did give me a few rocks with streaks of gold in them and I saw the old pistol. He also told me to be cautious about approaching an old mine as some of them were still being worked by squatters and they had been known to shoot at interlopers. Monty

Monty said:
The mountains of Colorado are full of abandoned mines.
Monty

No kidding! There is still a lot of minerals in those mountains too :D Someday I'm gonna take a "side" trip.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back