ABONDONED MINES

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't have any experience reworking old abandoned mines, I highly recommend getting yourself a partner with experience.

There are more dangers (both physical and legal) than I could begin to describe in this space. Even if you knew what some of the dangers were, without experience you would not be able to tell what they were. Things like stoped shafts with rotten false floors that could drop you 80 feet onto rocks, bad air that you can't see or smell until it's too late, fungi like histoplasmosis, that if breathed in could lead to a very painful death, etc, etc, etc.

There are a million things that could kill you, bite you, sting you, and even put you in jail, or get you shot.

Don't just think you will read anything here that will give you the knowledge you need to rework old mines.

Best-Mike

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I've worked any number of old mines.

Can't say I ever saw one that wasn't downright treacherous.

Part of the problem is they are frequently in remote locations.

Difficult to bring in assistance, once someone becomes aware you have a problem.

If there are any currently accessible values, chances are it's already under claim.

Could get 'western' if you are discovered.

If unclaimed, chances are for good reason. It's just not profitable to work it.

I'll go even another step... It's near the top of the list of the hardest work I've ever done.

Placer mining in a creek during summer is almost always fun.

Best

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a sort of "This is your brain on drugs" commercial for mines:

This is a stoped mineshaft:

stoped1.jpg

This is a collapsed stoped mineshaft:

stopedcollapse1.jpg

YOU DECIDE! :icon_sunny:

Best-Mike

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
If you are thinking about venturing into abandon mines to look for treasure, first ask yourself this, “Why did the original miners leave”. They surely didn’t leave a ledge of gold in there for you to find, and they certently didn’t leave a vine, or any high return ore for that matter. They left it because it went dry or they couldn’t make a profit on what was there, or that it was to dangorus.

Only expert spelunkers should go into mines/caves, to many things can go wrong for the average Joe.

I live in a gold bearing area that has lots of abandon mines. Many are foamed up by the government. The old timers around here always say that the only abandon mines that still have gold in them are control by the Government, or should I say taken over by the Government. And that most of them are located in our National Parks and Monuments. We always say stay out and away from them.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been in old abandoned mines since i was a kid. It's dangerous, I've seen lots of unexploded blasting caps laying around that could probably take off a foot or hand, and boxes of old dynamite that is oozing nitro glycerin sweat give me the willys. I don't want to discourage you, but you should be aware of the risk you are taking. I would advise geetting a very good helmet to wear. Take care!

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
Years ago while I was Young and Dumber then I am now, I ventured into them. Most around here are on State, BLM or Forest Lands. I am most content to Detect the tailing's and area around them. I don't go in any more. I too have found Dynamite, Caps and even Booby Traps set in them.

I have found some nice gold samples within the tailing's. The old Timers could not see in the material they discarded.

Most have been Bat Bared now to keep people out. Still a good time checking out the areas and keen junk to be found.

Have a good day!

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Mike, good site & pictures showing the dangers. In this area along the rivers there were mines everywhere &
at least a dozen small mining towns that are no longer there. Been down in plenty of them when I was somewhat
younger & a whole bunch dumber. It's not unusual around here for someone to lose their life playing around in
these places, mostly due to damp or bad air. Had a few close calls & now I just leave them alone. Hopefully,
others will heed your words of caution. Some old rusty tools aren't worth your life.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread