About 200 coins

Armitage

Aug 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey,

About 200 coins, mostly from Edo period, 2 coins are chinese made, about 1000 years old.
Sadly, no gold or silver coins.. But, many in a great shape.

IMG_0361.JPG
IMG_0362.JPG
IMG_0363.JPG

Upvote 15
OP
OP
A

Armitage

Aug 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh, yeah, about 5 hours of digging, kind of too much!!!

OP
OP
A

Armitage

Aug 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Japan, in the past, they did carry the coins as a pack of 100, thats why they have a hole in the middle, they took this habbit from the Chinese, and i think the chinese took it from the time when they used shells as money.
And someone, dropped 2 of this 100 coin packs over there, with time, it got dispersed and scattered around. About 2m x 3m area with no metal trash at all.
The funny thing is, this place is kind of a part of a long natural bridge, there is a main river on the left hand side, it goes about 7m straight down.
On the right hand side, there is a small river that flows into the big river, and there it also goes straight down for several meter.
The bridge is like slope, formed like a snake, sometimes it only has 2m wide, but on the both sides it goes straight down for several meters.
I did follow this slope, and, at the start of the slope, someone dropped the coins, if they would have rolled down, the river would have eaten them. But, with time they dispersed.
Also, this slope, is so fragil, one day, when a strong Taifun comes, it will just get washed away, so, i am quit lucky.

From the age of the coins i guess this must have been about 200 years ago.
At this time, this person had 2 coins they already used about 800 years, made in china, paid by Japanese with gold, or taken through japanese piracy ships.
But, sadly no gold, I want gold coins....

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is interesting. Gold or not I couldn't have quit digging until I got them all either. Nice finds and I think the area sounds interesting too.

OP
OP
A

Armitage

Aug 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think nothing, before it goes down, the coins stopped and nails did show up. The dispersed in the middle of the slope, there are also some areas close to it that must have been houses, nothing left beside many rocks, small ones for building walls, but thatโ€™s in the middle of the forest, and around it are no rocks, they would sink into the ground over time.
My metal detector goes crazy in this area, everywhere are nails. This must have been houses about 200 years ago. And this area is separated from the surrounding by two very deep rivers. So, even with strong wind, i doubt that trash from modern times will show up.
I think I will dig up all the trash over there, and hope for some hord between the trash, chances are high, I think..

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice story, thanks for sharing! GL & HH

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's quite a gathering of coins. Thank you for the post. Maybe next time you return to the bridge, you can take some pictures to share with us.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think nothing, before it goes down, the coins stopped and nails did show up. The dispersed in the middle of the slope, there are also some areas close to it that must have been houses, nothing left beside many rocks, small ones for building walls, but thatโ€™s in the middle of the forest, and around it are no rocks, they would sink into the ground over time.
My metal detector goes crazy in this area, everywhere are nails. This must have been houses about 200 years ago. And this area is separated from the surrounding by two very deep rivers. So, even with strong wind, i doubt that trash from modern times will show up.
I think I will dig up all the trash over there, and hope for some hord between the trash, chances are high, I think..
Much better, now I learnt something about how they travelled with these. I knew they went on string but not in denominations of 100!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread