? about properly searching an area

J

Joe (Memphis)

I have been hitting an abandoned school for a few days now. I have broken it up into search areas, but am wondering when I have searched an area thorough enough to move to the next area. I started with a 50' square grassy courtyard that had so much trash in it I had to go to the 4.5" coil. I have worked the entire area, and removed 64 cents on day 1, 19 cents on day 2, and 8 cents yesterday, along with a small pail of rare and unusual (yea right) pulltabs and other assorted junk. Do I call it a done deal, or get out the 7 X 10 coil and start all over again, then go to the 10 X 14dd? If I am to use the larger coils, would you work the same search pattern, or would you work across the last pattern, or does it not matter? I just want to know I have done the best I could before moving to another area. Thanks for any input. Oh, and I did what Lonewolfe said, and hunted it with the bottom 3 notched out (relic) on the 1350 and dug everything. STILL NO $%$^#^$# SILVER!!

Upvote 0

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its the silver elf's they come and take all the silver from our prime sites. I am new but this is what I do. Search in coin mode, then search again in almost all metal mode and dig trash but find rings. If I had different size coils (that I will have soon) I would use the 4" first then the 8" then 10" in the same area and clear it all. I found my 1865 2 cent in coin mode.

HH!!

Attachments

• silvercoin.jpg
    silvercoin.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 110
  • silvercoin.jpg
    silvercoin.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 110
OP
OP
J

Joe (Memphis)

You did well! I went back after work today, and I must have done a bang up job with the 4.5", cause I only found 1 stinkin ZINC penny with the 7X10!! :-\

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When using the smaller coils I have to cut the area size I am searching way down. You have to swing it about ten times more in a given area it seems to me. They are so much lighter I tend to swing them wider and if I don't watch out I will be swinging it at an arch at the end of the swing and will cause a false signal......not the machine but me in error. You also have to be more aware of being sure you overlap your swings too. I stick to my mid-size coil mostly except in tight areas or when their is just sooo much junk I can't get a decent seperation of targets, or right up to the edge of obstructions. For open fields that big 10.5 to 14.5 coil can't be beat but is kinda' heavy. Once you have located several hits with the larger coil you can grid off and go back to the smaller coils for precision. All in all the different size coils are handy and a must for a serious treasure hunter. JIM

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Its the silver elf's they come and take all the silver from our prime sites.
HH!!

ROFLMAO!!

The "silver elves" came a LONG time ago MUD!!

Can I ask- how old are you!?

Back in the day - you could find 20 silver coins in one day of detecting- "easy" but,

that soon became a thing of the past, and it's hard to find silver now days (especially) where others have pounded the site hard (which is almost all public sites)!

Do some research, and find some private land to hunt, you'll do much better!

HH

Lonewolfe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread