🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SwampHunter said:
BuckleBoy said:
I've got a friend who has an Ace and uses it to relic hunt.  He does almost as well with it as I do.  But the kid is a prodigy, and knows the Ace like the back of his hand.  I've seen him dig deep bullets with it, and have been rather impressed with the machine for what it is.  I'd say that the Tesoro DeLeon would be a good choice for a relic machine.  It can be hypertuned, and it has a meter--which works similarly to the meter on your Ace (which you're already used to).  For the money, that's probably your best purchase out there.

-Buckles

Thanks for the replies.
For awhile the Ace250 was the best machine I had to use. It was my relic hunting machine to start with. I found several bullets and buttons with it as well as plenty of other great stuff. It is really a great machine especially coupled with the 9x12 coil. I still want something with a bit more power.
I looked at the Deleon and the Cortes as well. I love Tesoro machines and the warranty can't be beat. I would also be able to use the mix and match the coils from either one with the Silver. Already have the 10x12 and have been thinking about getting the 3x18.
I heard to wait to see what Tesoro is coming out with.
Right now I am still shopping but leaning heavy towards the X-70. Just trying to get enough info to make an informed purchase and I appreciate it.

Bill,
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate all the info I can get.

This is turning into a great thread, with some good advice for you.  Yes, that 10 x 12 coil on the Tesoro is Top Notch.  Deleon uses a similar bar graph to the Ace--with notches showing up visually on the screen, but also has an ID number on it.  Cortes is great too--but not much more bang for the added expense.

If you go with either the MXT or X-70, you should--as others have suggested--go with the tone ID "on" and go either All-Metal or danged close to it.  It might drive you nuts for a while--unless you currently hunt in all-metal with the Ace--but you'll get used to it.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
BuckleBoy said:
Analog machines for relics are the Only way to go. You should consider a Nautilus or Fisher 1266. Nautilus will beat any Whites machine out there on depth. Fisher 1265 and Compass machines still hang with the Big Dogs. They are both relic hunting legends...but they are hard to find--and a Compass with the Keith W. modifications done to it can't be beat.

A relic hunter here did a modification on an Ace 250 so that it would run on threshold-only--and he dug many fine relics with it here.

If you have any electronics knowledge, and your soil type isn't bad, then that's an option as well.

It really comes down to whether or not you're going to try and cherrypick a site for lead and brass, or whether you're gonna just dig the heck out of it or not. For those who don't relic hunt--a relic hunter's approach takes some time to perfect--and it WILL help your coin hunting. If you beach hunt right now, you probably beep/dig already (in order to find all types of small gold). These are things to consider when you cross over to the "relic side."

Regards,

Buckleboy

I agree Buckle. If I were hunting a CW hospital site, I would dig everything. I own a Fisher 1265 and it is great, but, my new Tejon is way lighter and it has adjustable ground balance.
Newt

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newt said:
I agree Buckle. If I were hunting a CW hospital site, I would dig everything. I own a Fisher 1265 and it is great, but, my new Tejon is way lighter and it has adjustable ground balance.
Newt

You're exactly right--adjustable ground balance would've been the Only way a '65 or '66 could've been improved upon.

ID isn't that big of a deal when relic hunting.

Unmetered Analog. It's how I roll. :wink:

-Buck

stonewalled

Sep 25, 2008
Joe when it comes to detectors and which ones the best your going to get so many different answers it well drive you crazy so here's mine to drive you crazy! first off don't buy one from wallmart or radio shack that I think we all can agree on. I hunt civil war relics thats all. I'm a little old fashioned but I use a whites 5900 and a fisher 1266x great machines. The fisher gets them bullets deep! But it's not a light machine. same for the 5900 not as deep but is great on buttons and small brass but it's also a hefty machine. To sum It up 50% is the detector and 50% is the person using it. You can take 2 of the same detectors and put them in the hands of 2 different folks and one person can have a few tricks he learned on operating it and make the other guy look like an a__ But if I was going to buy a new machine it would be an mxt. good luck jeff

OP
OP
JoeinMemphis

JoeinMemphis

Apr 21, 2007
Oakland Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Minelab Excalibur II
Glad I started this one too.. I finally decided on the SE Pro. With the E-Trac just out I got a deal on it I couldn't in my right mind refuse. Of course, the GF quit using me and right mind in sentences together long ago... Right now I am cherry picking the hospital site where I can (due to it being LITTERED with iron) and get serious about the iron at a later date. The GF is running in all metal, and she is digging LOTS of targets including buggy wrenches, a few plough blades, old lock hasps, CW tent stakes, hoe blades, and the list goes on.... I have GPS mapped the site, and added all of the old 150+ year old oaks to the map, along with the original house and where the original roadbed appears to have been. OK, I have spent WAY more time prepairing to hunt then actually hunting so far. We have been out there three Saturdays now, and the odd thing is NOBODY has dug a single coin!!! Not one. I added a pic of some of the non ferrous finds, most of the ferrous ones are either in the E-Tank, or are soaking getting ready for it. HH Joe

Attachments

• IMG_0058.JPG
    IMG_0058.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 660

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Joe,
Item number 1001.... any clue as to what it might be? I have found a couple like that at one camp site. Not sure what they are.

OP
OP
JoeinMemphis

JoeinMemphis

Apr 21, 2007
Oakland Tennessee
Detector(s) used
It is just a piece of lead. It is not a bullet or anything. It might just be from the lead stock they used to cast their own amunition. The larger round ball seems to have been cast by an individual and not machine made due to some imperfections and a sprue. they were found about 20' apart. HH Joe

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is correct,it is a chunk of lead that bullets were cast from.I find them in little ingots,tubes,big chunks,all shapes.Alot of bullets were made in the feild as needed.Alot of the pistols even came with a bullet mold.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In good ground the Tejon just about can't be beat. It does have a learning curve though, in that you'll need to learn the subtle sound differences for targets. I've used Tesoros off and on and even though the machines only use one tone, the tone will break up, crackle if you will, over trashy targets and give a solid signal on non ferrous stuff. Tim, if you hunt middle and lower AL you'd be better off with a machine like the MXT or X-terra 70 or something designed to hunt in moderate to bad ground. It my understanding that the ground around Birmingham down to the coast is increasingly mineralized and hard to hunt in.

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bill, i',m located in Cullman, North Central Alabama about 50 miles north of B'ham. Which do you think would be better for this area? I have played with the Idea of asking the county Commissioner what exactly makes up our soil and how heavily it's materialized. I am on the verge of ordering an MXT.

Thanks!
Tim

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When relic hunting the number 1 thing to consider is your soil conditions. Tesoro makes great detectors but some of them are hard to ground balance correctly under certain soil conditions. I hear a lot about the DFX, and MXT, but they got a heck of a learning curve from what I heard. You like the excal, the excal can be used to hunt relics with no problems. I prefer the Sov GT. In soil condtions its unbeatable, and the meter sure makes it nice when I don't want to dig all. On the plus side since it is so close to the excal in sounds it won't be much of an adjustment. Just make a list of what you really hope to get out of the machine and then find the one that meets your needs.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad you got a deal on the SE Joe.....Hopefully soon enough the SE will be a piece of my arsenal.For the price of the MXT i'd say you couldn't beat it.I 've had mine for a little less than 2 yr.'s and it hasn't let me down once.Maybe if you consider a back up to the SE it might be an MXT.....Sweet Find's :thumbsup:

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tim, if you can swing a 4.5 to 5lb detector that's well balanced with the stock coil then I would strongly recommend the MXT. If, however you're like me and your shoulders are past the 40 mark, you might consider the X-terra 70.

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
IMO all detectors will find relics as good as the next. I always liked Fisher CZ's for relic hunting since it was a good coin machine too. Try out a few see which one feels more comfertable. Like the other guys said 150 acres is a big site, id be more worried about picking a detector I could swing all day. I'd buy a big coil too BTW. :) If you go Minelab try the WOT, the weight isnt too bad. I gotta admit though a XLT or DFX with a large coil will cover alot more ground with its sweep speed and feel alot better on your arm.

OP
OP
JoeinMemphis

JoeinMemphis

Apr 21, 2007
Oakland Tennessee
Detector(s) used
The one thing that I have had to get used to is the sweep speed with the SE Pro, it is about 2/3 SLOWER than I used to swing the Garrett, so yes, I am covering less ground..... but since I am going twice as deep I guess it all comes out even :laughing9: HH Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions