?? about sifters

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Mornin' folks.

We have a normally (lately anyway) dry creek bed that I walk looking for artifacts and it is time to push the envelope. Why not dig and screen instead of waiting for the proverbial flood to wash out undiscovered pieces? Where I want to concentrate the dig the creek consists of mostly pea gravel and sand so it should be easy enough digging. It is on private property (our own). Have a tractor with a scoop so what have I been waiting for?
Besides the creek there are several areas on dry land littered with debitage to check as well.
I've been perusing different places to get some ideas about sifter construction. Some people have some amazing contraptions, from heavy machinery to a simple 2x4 frame.
I know you have your own ideas.
Lets hear about them.

DSC00748.JPG

Thanx and best of luck to you in your hunts.

BW

Attachments

• DSC00824.JPG
    DSC00824.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 286
Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I like something portable and inexpensive since it will be put through heck. I use this regularly while fossil hunting.
Two simple frames of 1"x2" pressure treated wood a section of quarter inch hardware screen and some galvanized screws are all that is necessary. Simply sandwich an appropriate sized section of screen between the 2 frames and screw them together. Personally I don't think you will be wanting to sift more at one time than this will work splendidly on.
I guarantee you will want to utilize the water..if there is any at the time... while sifting ... so something light and portable is best.
You will also find you will be wanting to move quite often.... focusing on areas where gravel has collected like behind larger stones and the down current side of bends in the creek or stream.
Hope this helps.

ForumRunner_20130324_112202.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
bravowhiskey

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Due to back issues it will need to be self supporting. I'm thinking some kind of rocker box, similar to what is used gold prospecting, with a few modifications.

Yes, Sir, I like your screen frame. very portable.:icon_thumleft:

appreciate your time and input.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
The hardest part of sifting is getting the material IN the sifter. I would build a permanent sifter, long and wide then use the tractor to load it. Build it with swinging door(s) so you can release the unwanted material, some type of collection box under the door so you can drag off the pilings with the tractor...something on skids with an eyebolt or a ball and hitch.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow.. that sounds like a mining job.
Mabey a trommel and sluce box.. just kidding good luck with whatever you decide.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may want to try the gantry style by using 2x4's. And by utilizing the sawhorse brackets for quick assembly.

Sifter.jpg folder 3 011.JPG

You may want to have a crossmember between the two legs, behind the sifter in the first photo.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
The OP has a bad back...any type of traditional sifting will require lifting a minimum of 40 pounds from ground to waist level how many times depends on him. Anything less than mechanical advantages is sure fire recipe for lower back issues. Those of you that have sifted know the risks. At a conservative estimate, one could lift the equivalent of a ton of material in a few hours.

OP
OP
bravowhiskey

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
a couple different ideas from you fine folks have given me the basis for a plan...

take the gantry style and just tweek it a little...4 legs with a cross bar arranged like a swing set. A rectangular box just slightly longer than the bucket on the tractor, suspended from the frame like a bench swing.

Now a handle set up for easier shaking with a gravity assist....hmmm

1320, there can be no or very little lifting. Let the tractor do the heavy work. I can just hold the bucket over the screen box and give it a slight tilt. Then a short handled hoe or garden rake can be employed to move a regulated amount into the screen box. shake and bake.

I'm starting to see this take shape thanks to ya'll.:thumbsup:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a couple different ideas from you fine folks have given me the basis for a plan...

take the gantry style and just tweek it a little...4 legs with a cross bar arranged like a swing set. A rectangular box just slightly longer than the bucket on the tractor, suspended from the frame like a bench swing.

Now a handle set up for easier shaking with a gravity assist....hmmm

1320, there can be no or very little lifting. Let the tractor do the heavy work. I can just hold the bucket over the screen box and give it a slight tilt. Then a short handled hoe or garden rake can be employed to move a regulated amount into the screen box. shake and bake.

I'm starting to see this take shape thanks to ya'll.:thumbsup:

Bravo if you have a tractor with a loader and if you have water. Well you get the idea. Water makes quick work in a sifter.

OP
OP
bravowhiskey

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Yea, Tn, but lately in Texas we have no over abundance of water. However, if this should change it certainly would make things easier.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you load the sifter with your tractor, you may want to use a couple of temporary chain and hook to stabilize the sifter while loading. (Have a couple of chains from sifter to gantry uprights)

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
my sifter

the electric sifter,, could easily be made bigger

Attachments

• DSCN3851.JPG
    DSCN3851.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 256