About this time, 15 years ago, I was boarding a plane in route to Texas ...

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 7.41.01 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 7.41.01 AM.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 101

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was sitting in a drive thru line ready to order my breakfast...
I sat and sat...
No one ever came on the intercom...
I decided to pull up to the window to see what the heck the problem was thinking that the intercom was broken...
I can see through the drive thru window the employees gathered in a group... they did not even know I was at the window...
I leaned out and knocked on the window which got one girls attention...
She came and opened the window and says sorry... that they were watching the news...
I was confused and like Ehhh ? ? ? the news ? ? ?
She could tell I was oblivious to anything and says "do you not know what just happened" ?
I say "no... what happened".
She explains that there was a major "accident" and tells me that its live on T.V. and bad...
I turned to the person with me and was like "holy crap."...
Got some food and left...
Went to shop...
Walked in and turned on T.V. to see for myself what happened...
And was watching... prolly for no more than a few minutes...
And then the second one...
I was stunned... I mean like mouth open with food... like dazed ..,
I thought for a second I was watching some replay...
and it was about that exact moment I suddenly realized...

I was no longer watching an "accident".

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember exactly where I was. We had just returned home the night before from visiting my stepdaughter who was a 2nd Lt. stationed at Ft. Bragg NC at the time. I just turned on the television and within 1 minute I watched the second plane hit. I told the wife, this day will go down in history. It was a terrible feeling that left a queasy feeling of emptiness in the pit of my stomach. 15 years later our nation embraces the culture responsible for it, almost apologetically. It's embarrassing in all actuality.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was working at the Army Reserve center in Ann Arbor, MI as a full time reservist (AGR program) I was the Battalion Supply Sgt.. We hooked up the TV and watched in horror, knowing the SH_T was hitting the fan. Over the next few years I had to assist in getting 2 subordinate units logistically ready to deploy and then in 2003 we deployed in support Operation Enduring Freedom. Originally we were to deploy for 180 days, but our tour got extended to 270 days. I retired from the military 6 months after we returned to the US.

God bless all those who lost friends and family that day and to all those who served and still serve in uniform.

United We Stand - Divided We Fall.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I was at work on a day shift at the National Weather Service which is part of NOAA and the Department of Commerce. I had gone outside for a smoke break and I believe I was talking to the Electronics Technicians about some equipment problems as I often did early on the day shifts. One of my co-workers came out and told us to get inside to the Conference/Training Room. When we walked in the Conference/Training Room, one of the re-plays of the first plane hitting the World Trade Center was playing and I had a deep pit feeling that it was not by accident. When the second plane hit, I knew I was correct and shortly after, our Office and likely the entire Federal Government went into total lock-down and alert status. The Police and Sheriff's Offices were called and cars from both agencies were positioned blocking the entrance to our' facility and on the road in front of our' facility. No one was allowed in or out of our' facility until we got the okay later that afternoon. I was busting to go home, to load up my' weapons and ammo and return to the Office but was not allowed to do so. Let's just say that for the next week or so, I had some items out of sight, loaded and ready in my' truck just in case they were needed.

In the years since, I have often thought that on the day after, the President Bush should have made a similar speech as did Franklin D. Roosevelt after Pearl Harbor was hit. "Yesterday, September 11, 2001, a date which will live in infamy, the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked, etc...etc...etc."

Frank

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I was sleeping after an early third shift.
The ex woke me and said N.Y. was under attack and locally everyone was rushing the gas stations for fuel.
Shortly it seemed the country was under attack.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On the way to work I heard the confusion on the radio. Called the boss who watched the second plane while I was on the phone. Turned around and went back home. God Bless all who perished. God Bless all who serve.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
God it was a beautiful morning. I walked out on the deck of the beach house on Silver Sands in Milford, Connecticut, on the second morning of my vacation. I looked out over Long Island Sound and thought to myself this is going to be a perfect day in paradise. Then my wife screamed, "Oh my God!"

I put my coffee down on the deck railing and went in the house and saw the North Tower burning on TV. We were both stunned. We had friends working in those buildings, We had both been in the Twin Towers to visit them, or have lunch at the Top of the World restaurant. Then the second plane hit the South Tower.

We all know the story from there. This is our trip to Ground Zero, when they finally re-opened it 10-years later,

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was hurt, crawling thru burning metal thinking I was going to die. I was under the north tower when it came down. I couldn't breathe . I was covered with blood and more that wasn't mine. I was in the first day of a nightmare. I was looking for brothers, sisters, moms, dads, friends. Most were found much later. some we never found a trace of, I know some were identified by DNA and had second funerals that the families kept to themselves. For weeks I didn't go to a funeral where there was a body in the casket, and I went to a lot.. When you see me on the beach detecting those are the thoughts going through my head. We will get through it, but we aren't going to forget it.
Ret. NYPD

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was hurt, crawling thru burning metal thinking I was going to die. I was under the north tower when it came down. I couldn't breathe . I was covered with blood and more that wasn't mine. I was in the first day of a nightmare. I was looking for brothers, sisters, moms, dads, friends. Most were found much later. some we never found a trace of, I know some were identified by DNA and had second funerals that the families kept to themselves. For weeks I didn't go to a funeral where there was a body in the casket, and I went to a lot.. When you see me on the beach detecting those are the thoughts going through my head. We will get through it, but we aren't going to forget it.
Ret. NYPD

Gob Bless Mike!!!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's still clear as a bell. We were working on the outside of a house for a retired air force colonel. He came running outside, I'll never forget the look on his face. He said " You have to come in and see the news, we are at war" I also remember how united we became as a country. We must do that again.

HH RN

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Ret. NYPD

I can't imagine, Mike. God bless you and thank you for your service. At the time, I was heavily involved in K9 Search and Rescue. I wanted so badly to be able to return home, fetch my dog, and head that way, but transportation across the board was shut down. Thank you again, Mike! You all are real heroes in my book!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ret. NYPD

Hats off to you sir... God bless you.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was carrying 2 five gallon bottles on my shoulders, edelivering them to Dr. Aloise's office....I opened the door, into the waiting room, tv was on, and I said, "oh f**k."
Was there for a few minutes, second plane hit....
Listened to Howard Stern all morning as I skipped/rescheduled/blew off the rest of my route...

And Mike B......I can't begin to imagine what it was like for you...thank you for being straight up here with us.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, double post

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ret. NYPD

You did a great thing Mike trying to help anybody in that situation. My hat is off to you also sir.... Brad

My wife and I had the day off and were taking my parents out for breakfast that morning and too travel some of these Tennessee back-roads for awhile. Got the news pulling into the parking lot of a Crackle Barrels on the radio. My dad and I were in the vans front seats. We both just looked at each other and "knew". After we parked we sent the girls on in to get a table and listened for awhile longer. Wife headed back out and we headed on in after 10-12 minutes had passed. It ruined our whole day... and all we (dad and I) wanted to do was go home to a TV.

Last edited:

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here's another -

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Relic Nut! In case you didn't know, that brass piece to the left of your tombacs is a strap end to a leather valise from the Civil War era. Buckleboy IDed that for me when I found the same one last year. He also has one in his post here http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/2010-annual-finds/212250-iron-brigade-2010-a.html (second photo). Always enjoy an ID on a mystery brass item, so hopefully that isn't old news to you. Looks like a great spot you guys have there. [emoji106]
Thanks for the info OA! We had a guess that it was some type of fastener for a bag or purse, but that's all it was, a guess. Thanks again [emoji106]

HH RN

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry....... don't know how I did that. [emoji36]

HH RN