jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"By deceiving consumers into buying these worthless '9/11 commemorative coins,' this company is preying on the memories of that tragic day, generating millions in profits, and diverting potential funds to finance the 9/11 Memorial at Ground Zero," Schumer said. "We are calling on the FTC to crackdown on this unscrupulous company and send a loud message that profiteering off of a national tragedy will not be tolerated."

http://www.observer.com/2011/politics/schumer-nadler-call-crackdown-fake-911-commemorative-coins

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope this doesn't have a negative impact on my /911 Commemorative T-Shirts.. I have a warehouse in NJ full of them..

All kidding aside, you make something people will buy it. I would agree it becomes a fraud when you say you are going to earmark profits for something, with no intentions of doing so. People are always looking to make the quick buck, just look at all the bumper stickers, flags, and other items that were sold over the years.

I guess no one would have had a problem if they just said, we're going to keep all the money :tongue3:
I've never had any intention of buying something that I know doesn't have a value; besides, where did they steal all the metal from anyway?

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one that realy Erks me is the one where
the National Anthem is playing in the backround
& the guy is preaching Like they are sugesting
anyone who dosn't buy is Unamerican
because you Have to Support their cause.

I Turn the channel the Moment I hear that Commercial
start !
even if I Need to get up from the computer,
Or stop cooking & Run in the room
to change channels :laughing9:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have honestly paid little attention to that commercial altogether, but I do know where you're coming from.

Note to self... Cancel the tacky commercial with background music for the T-shirts

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Note to self... Cancel the tacky commercial with background music for the T-shirts

Here Ya Go For the Backround

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have loved all of the Budweiser commercials, especially that one :laughing7: That was one brilliant ad campaign they had going on. Now I have to look up their copyright laws so I don't infringe on their thing. :tongue3:

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10th anniversary 9/11 coin has retired NYPD Capt. Tom DePrisco's blood boiling

Just before Christmas, retired NYPD Capt. Tom DePrisco saw a TV commercial at his fiancée's house and his "blood began to boil."

The commercial was for a 10th anniversary Sept. 11 commemorative dollar coin issued by the National Collector's Mint out of Westchester. The ad said this exploitative trinket featured "the skyline of the twin towers."

This was ghoulish enough, snake-oil merchants cashing in on the deaths of 3,000 innocents by selling souvenirs for $29.95.

But what roiled DePrisco's Brooklyn blood was the phrase "clad in a total 14 mg. 999 pure silver actually recovered from the vaults beneath the ashes of Ground Zero."

"That's just pure bull----," said DePrisco, who after 9/11 was assigned to the city Office of Emergency Management to help handle recovery efforts around Ground Zero.

One of DePrisco's biggest operations was recovering the $500 million in gold, silver and platinum the Bank of Nova Scotia had stored in in a two-story vault - a mini-Fort Knox 70 feet beneath 4 WTC.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...ound_zero_silver_but_man_who_help.html?r=news

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you notice, to add insult to injury, They say their approved by the secret service. What a bunch of garbage!!!! They toss a few bucks to a police or secret service club or fraternal organization, to make the unsuspecting ones think "Oh! the secret service approves them, they must be good!" To me that's a stain on the reputations of these officers and agents. Makes me wanna hurl.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"There is a Strict Limit of 5 Per Order"

Smith and Shughart thought the coin was sanctioned by the U.S. government. They thought they could help rebuild the World Trade Center for the low, low price of just $29.95. Turns out, none of that is true. To add insult to injury, Shughart was charged more than $370 for 6 extra coins and display cases he never ordered.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/02/03/rise-freedom-consumers-pols-rail-called-coin/#

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you pay close attention to these commerative coin ads. You'll notice they say approved by [fill in the blank] association, fraternal organization etc. These organizations are glad to have their names on the ads @ $ per unit sold. Maybe the club house or meeting hall needs a new roof or they want some better prizes for the Friday night raffles.

Note the weights of precious metals. A base metal blank or planchet plated with next to nothing in "precious metals". If you have a digital scale, try this. Take the advertised amount of gold / silver and scrape an aspirin on the scale until you have that amount. Doesn't take much does it. Now take that weight & figure what the value is at spot price.

Sad to see people getting ripped off on this junk, but it's even sadder that these scams are soiling the memories of the trade towers and the people who lost their lives. Like I said, I almost want to hurl every time I see these commercials.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Wait for a new round of tacky, worthless 'commerative' items hitting the market this September 2011.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions