About to get a Tesoro, what do you think?

Gin

Jul 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi,

I did a little metal detecting in a lake in NY over the weekend for the 1st time. My friend has a Tesoro shark and he mostly detected while I dug, snorkeling in about 2 -3 ft of water. We found coins, tabs, other junk. It was a lot of fun. I've been wanting to get a detector for a long time now and that was the final nudge to push me in the right direction.
I've been doing some research and started looking at garrets(at pro), and a few other brands then started liking the fishers(f2,f5,12**) and whites(beach / coin) but today I looked at the Tesoro's and felt like they suited me best. It's a bit funny because when I started I wanted to get something a bit different from my friend's detector but ended up coming back to the same brand. I figured we would probably go out as a team so a discriminating type detector would balance out what we could do.
My ideal MD would be able to find coins, silver/gold jewelry and be able to go in shallow water with the coil head, local parks, wet and dry sand, and rocky river edges. My location is in New England and I live near an old mine , river, conservation land that I'd like to explore so I'm guessing the mineralization might be high (???). I hope I'm not asking to much for a MD but I'm down to the tejon, outlaw and golden umax. I like the idea of taking my time and learning how to operate the detector so a larger learning curve is just fine.
Any helpful comments or suggestions would be great. :hello:
Thanks for your time and the fantastic forums.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TNet...you might try the Tesoro sub-forum, I have never used one but know people who are happy with them! ...Happy Hunting!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi,

I did a little metal detecting in a lake in NY over the weekend for the 1st time. My friend has a Tesoro shark and he mostly detected while I dug, snorkeling in about 2 -3 ft of water. We found coins, tabs, other junk. It was a lot of fun. I've been wanting to get a detector for a long time now and that was the final nudge to push me in the right direction.
I've been doing some research and started looking at garrets(at pro), and a few other brands then started liking the fishers(f2,f5,12**) and whites(beach / coin) but today I looked at the Tesoro's and felt like they suited me best. It's a bit funny because when I started I wanted to get something a bit different from my friend's detector but ended up coming back to the same brand. I figured we would probably go out as a team so a discriminating type detector would balance out what we could do.
My ideal MD would be able to find coins, silver/gold jewelry and be able to go in shallow water with the coil head, local parks, wet and dry sand, and rocky river edges. My location is in New England and I live near an old mine , river, conservation land that I'd like to explore so I'm guessing the mineralization might be high (???). I hope I'm not asking to much for a MD but I'm down to the tejon, outlaw and golden umax. I like the idea of taking my time and learning how to operate the detector so a larger learning curve is just fine.
Any helpful comments or suggestions would be great. :hello:
Thanks for your time and the fantastic forums.

First yes welcome to the tnet site this place is hands down full of great info,lots of cool nice people always willing to give u a hand. What part of new england I'm in mass myself? Sounds like where u are around the mine area ur right its probly gonna b more minerlized then ur average park. Tesoro makes a great detector & I'm sure ull b happy with one. One thing I do when I get a new machine is make a list of what I want from a detector pick like 2-3,brands that I like the most (warrenty,customer service,etc) & then make 1 list & c which machine they have that suits my needs best then when ur all done u should have 2-3,great choices the one with the most ill get, I mean let's face it there not cheap & very addictive buying the next bigger & better model so good luck. My vote would b more towards the Atpro for what u are saying u want from a machine & if needed u could go deeper in the water & there's more options. However when u decide on a machine don't spend everything leave some room for a decent digger & or scoop( for water & sand) treasure pouch for ur finds & trash & for land a good pinpointer all which are goin to make detecting that much more enjoyable, well good luck & welcome

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote for the Tejon. The toggle switch for pinpoint/ second discrim is very handy when running machine. It has great depth also. The Vaquero is a great machine also. Cannot comment on Outlaw or Golden as I've never used either.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would advise the Tesoro Outlaw. At $550.00 you get the machine and THREE coils. That means you'll have options for different hunting areas and conditions, The 12"x10" coil alone usually sells for around $150.00 by itself, and the 5.75" coil is king in trash-filled areas. Operating at 10.6 kHz it will KILL silver without pinging on deep iron like the 17.2 to 17.6 kHz Tejon. As a new user, this is important. Good Luck!

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Terry, the outlaw will make a nice first detector, plus 3 coils and shafts to play with

OP
OP
G

Gin

Jul 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

Thanks for the great input. I am bouncing between the Outlaw and the Tejon. The trigger switch on the tejon vs and the No-Motion and the 3xcoils on the outlaw have me in limbo. I'll sleep on it again. :BangHead:

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

Thanks for the great input. I am bouncing between the Outlaw and the Tejon. The trigger switch on the tejon vs and the No-Motion and the 3xcoils on the outlaw have me in limbo. I'll sleep on it again. :BangHead:

LOL I know how that feels. The tejon should have more power, depth and a good frequency for gold, the down side is a wilder machine. The Outlaw should be quieter, it comes with 3 coils and better frequency for silver, but less power.
Try to find people that have used them both and compare opinions, review sites are also great help.

I mostly use the Vaquero these days, It's a good machine, simple and efficient. Good luck!

Last edited:

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with Terry on the Outlaw. The Umax series have great target separation and fast recovery. This is just as important as great depth. The discrimination in umax's is also spot on excellent. Add three coils and the outlaw is one heck of a deal. If you did chose the Vaq or Tejon you would not go wrong either. For a first detector these will be quite a learning curve for you. If you ground is mild I would suggest the Silver umax as a first detector. For a fixed ground balance detector it is a gem and could pay for itself in finds real fast. When it is time to upgrade it holds it's value well if you decide to sell it.

Whichever Tesoro you buy- you get a lifetime warranty from a company that stands behind what they sell.

Be sure to call one of the Forum sponsors to get a great deal with free shipping. I am sure any of the sponsors here are on Treasure Net are awesome and would gladly take the time to answer all your questions. I personally have used Tom at Miller MDZ and have been extremely happy with pricing and great customer service. Also don't be afraid to call Tesoro directly and ask their opinion. They always make time to help a customer out on the phone. Their customer service is an example of what all businesses should strive for.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I agree with the Outlaw as well.
I just ordered one this morning. I was down to the Vaquero & Outlaw, but the 3 coils was big on my decision.
I'm also interested in a shallow water machine and will probably get the AT Pro Int.

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Outlaw was my first real detector. I love it and have been very happy with its performance.

OP
OP
G

Gin

Jul 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi again,

I got the Outlaw :)

Took it out in my backyard today after tuning it. I had total beginners luck, within 10 minutes I found a 14k gold band. I sent a text out to my wife and a friend and went back outside and the next hit was a another 14k gold band, total weight of the 2 bands is about 0.16 oz . That was about 5th dig so far. The rest of the day I got a handful of mostly 80's coins and various other junk. Tomorrow I'm gonna go search for my wedding band I lost years ago, I have a good idea the location outside where it is. I have some new questions especially about certain rocks that give strong hits, but I'll search the forums 1st and start another thread if needed.

thanks for all the replies and help :occasion14:

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats awesome Gin!

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Good choose and great luck your first time out with it. Mine just came and is sitting on my dining room table still sealed in it's little box.:thumbsup:

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine just came and is sitting on my dining room table still sealed in it's little box.:thumbsup:

Unleash the Beast! Mine came today too.

HH

AZOUTLAW

Greenie
Feb 10, 2013
Awsome job on the gold! I bought my outlaw in February of this year and love it. Just found my fourth gold ring and some other junk rings. I Love the double beep it gives when the coin or ring is within about an inch or two, makes for easy recovery. Good luck and HH!

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
awesome, that's the way :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread