About to purchase first detector. Need last minute advise

mrnukem

Greenie
Jan 8, 2012
Vancouver, Wa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I am about to pull the trigger on my first detector and just wanted to get some input on what folks think of the one I am thinking of going with and also any experience folks have had with the vendor. I am doing this as a hobby with a budget of about $250 or so.

This is the package I am thinking of going with http://www.bigboyshobbies.net/shop/fisher-f2-3-coil-combo-kit/

I have also been considering the Garret Ace 250 and Tesoro Silver uMax.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you

Derek

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Before you buy a new one, take a look at finding a better model in a used machine.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Fisher F-2 combo is a fine detector and you can't go wrong with those extra coils for it. It is a better deal than the Garrett or Tesoro. Mike of Big Boy Hobbies will treat you right.

OP
OP
mrnukem

mrnukem

Greenie
Jan 8, 2012
Vancouver, Wa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Red James cash said:
Before you buy a new one, take a look at finding a better model in a used machine.

I thought about that but really want a warranty and to be able to contact the dealer I bought it from if I need support. Decided New was the way to go and I like that new in the box electronics smell when I open things up.. :)

OP
OP
mrnukem

mrnukem

Greenie
Jan 8, 2012
Vancouver, Wa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woodland Detectors said:
You can't go wrong with a Tesoro Silver Umax. Or "Big Boy Hobbies" package deal :icon_thumright:

I sent you an e-mail last night via your web site site about pricing and stock availability but have not heard back from you yet today.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Red James cash said:

I agree.

Detectors are way overpriced as new.

This machine would be greatly less of a machine than a mint used Tesoro Silver uMax. I've picked several up for under $150 shipped. And Tesoro's free repair service can't be beat (free for most things even if bought used).

But then I'm biased because I hate the new Fisher line and love Tesoro machines.

OP
OP
mrnukem

mrnukem

Greenie
Jan 8, 2012
Vancouver, Wa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Michigan Badger said:
Red James cash said:

I agree.

This machine would be greatly less of a machine than a mint used Tesoro Silver uMax. I've picked several up for under $150 shipped. And Tesoro's free repair service can't be beat (free for most things even if bought used).

But then I'm biased because I hate the new Fisher line and love Tesoro machines.

Can you tell me what specification or usage differences between them makes the Tesoro better than Fisher in your opinion?

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got an F-2. It's a great little machine,esp.with the 4" coil for trashy ares.

Cranman

Dec 1, 2011
Central NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just ordered the same detector but the 2 coil package and got the Garrett Pro pinpointer, from what I hear the fisher pinpointer is not too good. But I believe the detector itself will be good and the price was great. I have looked and looked for a good deal on a used entry level detector, and unless you want something old, or a Bounty Hunter, or just get lucky, there's not alot of what I was looking for available used.

M Scott @ FTP

Mar 18, 2009
mrnukem said:
Michigan Badger said:
Red James cash said:

I agree.

Can you tell me what specification or usage differences between them makes the Tesoro better than Fisher in your opinion?
Here are a few reasons why the Fisher is superior over the Tesoro;
Multi tone on the F2-single tone on Silver
Notch on F2 no notch on the Silver
Lower ‘coin friendly’ freq on F2
Target ID segments on F2 no segments on the Silver
1-99 target ID on F2 no target ID on the Silver
Non-motion Pinpoint and depth in inches on F2 only a non-threshold based AM on silver.
F2 faster recovery speed and better in trash than the Silver
Newer technology with more features and target data
F2 gives way more target info than the Silver-this will help not only trash to treasure ratio but allow you to be more selectable on targets recovered.
Similar depth
Value----F2 with pinpointer and extra 4” coil $215---Silver Umax alone is $254

Where the Silver has a slight advantage
LT warranty on Silver vs. F2 w/ 5 year warranty
1 9v batt on Silver vs. 2 9V on F2

I find detecting much more enjoyable having tones and decent target ID and wouldn't feel a need to upgrade because of lack of features.
If you want a basic dig and beep unit get a Bounty Hunter Tracker 4 with excellent audio ID for a fraction of the basic Tesoro's price.

Mike

OP
OP
mrnukem

mrnukem

Greenie
Jan 8, 2012
Vancouver, Wa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ended up purchasing a Tesoro Silver uMax on ebay used for $150. Got it today, it's in great condition, spent some time doing the different coin tests, reading manual and then took it out to a field close by, it's a wet, rainy day but found 2 nails one 4 inches deep and one about 6 inches deep, lots of digging for 2 nails but it shows me it does work and found a big rock the size of a football that the detector said was metal. Best part was being out there with my 13 year old son, nice to see him with a garden trowel in his hand instead of an x-box 360 controller. Really looking forward to nicer weather and trips to various public parks and national forest areas close by.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ended up purchasing a Tesoro Silver uMax on ebay used for $150. Got it today, it's in great condition, spent some time doing the different coin tests, reading manual and then took it out to a field close by, it's a wet, rainy day but found 2 nails one 4 inches deep and one about 6 inches deep, lots of digging for 2 nails but it shows me it does work and found a big rock the size of a football that the detector said was metal. Best part was being out there with my 13 year old son, nice to see him with a garden trowel in his hand instead of an x-box 360 controller. Really looking forward to nicer weather and trips to various public parks and national forest areas close by.

Tesoro Silver uMax us a good detector and you got it for a good price........

Like your avatar, I named my son Jacob Ethan, Jacob for Jacob "Big Jake" McCandles in the movie Big Jake, and Ethan from the move "The Searchers"

I wanted to name him Duke, but my Ex refused to do so......

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XP.

But I was a Tesoro fan before I saw the light

OP
OP
mrnukem

mrnukem

Greenie
Jan 8, 2012
Vancouver, Wa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tesoro Silver uMax us a good detector and you got it for a good price........

Like your avatar, I named my son Jacob Ethan, Jacob for Jacob "Big Jake" McCandles in the movie Big Jake, and Ethan from the move "The Searchers"

I wanted to name him Duke, but my Ex refused to do so......

Actually I tried to name our 1st born son Duke but the wife told me the next dog we got I could name Duke but not our son..Ended up with a good old testament biblical name for him which was Isaiah..he still turned out good..

I was surprised the detector picked up such a large sized rock as metal. The area has a lot of rounded large rocks, like a river or creek ran through it a long long time ago. I have lived here for 40+ years and in my lifetime there was never a river or creek here. I will be running in all metal mode to get a feel for how deep it detects and what I end up finding before I start to learn how the discrimination functions work.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are going to find a lot of comments, I have a "Fair" one. Get a good MD with a major name with a good track record from owners who have on videos on youtube "In the field use". I shopped around and last month I got a Whites GMT goldmaster (1 Year old) for $500 w/free shipping on ebay. I bidded and kept to a budget and after several bids I saw a "Buy it now" at $600 or best offer. I bid $400 and my bid was rejected. I then waited and bid $500 and I won it! I had checked with major dealers and the going price was $699 + Tax. What I am saying is I did get a modest upgrade and I researched this unit and I recommend to all new members check out good MD's on ebay or your local Craigslist private party. If you decide you don't have the time or find it is not for you, the resale will be good and you won't lose money. Most people I know just hang on to their MD because of the bargan they got. Try to get a made in USA MD because you will not have the hasstle of international shipping and time on customer service or repairs. Good luck buddy and welcome aboard.

dmaki1988

Apr 3, 2012
Gladstone MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would go with the teknetics delta 4000, this machine is a coin killer and u get pretty depth too. i seen one go on ebay for about a 150.00, i like it as much as my f 70, well worth the money.

Jun 10, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari. Garrett 350
I also email Mike from Woodland detectors and never heard back. He usually answers back within a few hours.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions