Accumulated my 1st roll of 2009 dimes

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After getting a particularly high seven 2009 dimes out of my last box, I decided to take inventory. That box put me over a roll's worth - 52 in total, 50 after subtracting the two in my son's album.

I've searched $2890 in dimes, for an average of one 2009 in every $55.60 searched.

The weird thing is, I have 4x as many 2009-D (49.5 million minted) as I do 2009-P (96.5 million).

Is anyone else keeping track? What are you finding?

Upvote 0

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
I have some 2009 Dimes back where I'm from, but didn't bring them to the city this summer...Somewhere around the neighborhood of about 8. Think I may have more D's than P's, too. I also have that 2009 S clad proof that I found a few months ago.

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've come across just one 2009 in pocket change (I only rim-search dimes), and it was a P. I've searched a lot of nickels, though, and out of almost a full roll of 2009's, there is just one P. Looks like there's some fuzzy-math going on around here...

jdmb

Jul 12, 2013
GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm completely new to coins, as well as this site but I'm interested in learning more. Ive just been looking for old stuff in The change I've been Huntin through lately. Passing over lots and lots I do wonder if anything newer is worth pulling. What's up with these 2009 dimes?

Thanks

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I have 6 rolls unopened of them. They were not at all uncommon here in 2009. I was actually selling and trading rolls with people on this site back then.

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
What's up with these 2009 dimes?

When the recession hit, tons of people cashed in their coins for dollars. This caused the demand for newly minted dimes to go way down. Basically, the mintage numbers for the 2009 dimes are some the lowest you'll see since the late 50's, early 60's; however, they ARE clad. This causes some to say it's a waste of time to save them while others claim that they will carry some value in the future as they could potentially wind up being our generation's key date. See the link below for FDR mintage numbers...

Roosevelt Dime Mintage

jdmb

Jul 12, 2013
GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the recession hit, tons of people cashed in their coins for dollars. This caused the demand for newly minted dimes to go way down. Basically, the mintage numbers for the 2009 dimes are some the lowest you'll see since the late 50's, early 60's; however, they ARE clad. This causes some to say it's a waste of time to save them while others claim that they will carry some value in the future as they could potentially wind up being our generation's key date. See the link below for FDR mintage numbers...

Roosevelt Dime Mintage

thanks for the clarification

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I have a few rolls. But ONLY because I had some shipped out from people here on this site. they found them, back east, in the P mintage, and sent me some rolls. On my own? I've found about 13 - 15 or so while going through a LOT of dimes. And nickels are pretty hard too (But cast back the pennies, no matter what some might tell you)

hokielegend

Nov 8, 2012
east
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've gotten 2 solid rolls of the 2009P dimes from BOA recently.
Determined that 40mil+ mintage ain't worth a dime (pun intended) so back to the wild they go...

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Determined that 40mil+ mintage ain't worth a dime (pun intended) so back to the wild they go...

I agree with you
Although no one can predict the future, if you look at value clad dimes and nickels that are 30-40 yrs old (1973-1983), only MS63 has any value. (not including error coins). Will a roll of 2009 dimes in AU or MS condition be worth anything in 50-60 yrs? Maybe, but I think you will make more money investing in silver/gold or stock market

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you
Although no one can predict the future, if you look at value clad dimes and nickels that are 30-40 yrs old (1973-1983), only MS63 has any value. (not including error coins). Will a roll of 2009 dimes in AU or MS condition be worth anything in 50-60 yrs? Maybe, but I think you will make more money investing in silver/gold or stock market

Two reasons I think they're worth keeping while CRHing:

1) They are selling for double face value right at this minute, even circulated ones. 2009 dimes -proof | eBay
2) Opening dime rolls is SO BORING if you are only hunting silver. 2009's are the one thing worth looking for in the endless sea of clad edges.

I guess #2 could go either way - if you are like only doing an edge-check, and are looking for validation of that approach, then dismissing the 2009's accomplishes that. But if you are like me and you can't quite fathom only doing an edge check, you just *have* to look at the dates, then 2009's are what makes dime hunting bearable.

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think the mistake here is that you've conflated your one anecdotal experience with the overall reality. Finding those 2 solid rolls was an outright fluke, like finding a run of silver or indian cents that someone dumped. You can easily turn those 2 rolls over for $5-10 in instant profit, even after auction fees. But good luck finding 2 more rolls any time soon.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
I got lucky back in 09. Pulled two bu boxes from my normal weekly dime order. I long sold the rolls for a good profit on feebay. I did save three rolls though. Why are they still worth more then spot?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I got lucky back in 09. Pulled two bu boxes from my normal weekly dime order. I long sold the rolls for a good profit on feebay. I did save three rolls though. Why are they still worth more then spot?

They are low mintage compared to other clad dimes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread