Accurate TID at depth, best detectors?

joelt

Jan 5, 2007
Far North Austin
Detector(s) used
F5, F4, Sidewinder
I'm curious which TID detectors ID accurately the deepest? From what I've read it seems most folks experience is that they quit working accurately at 4"-6", and that seems to be true in local soil. I would guess round concentric coils on a multi-freq detector would have the best chance? Does ground balance help? I'm guessing it does so long as its coupled to disc mode.

Any opinions, or better yet, facts?

RLOH

Dec 10, 2005
I have owned most every detector made, some three and four times. I always want to have a deep, accurate detector and the detector I keep coming back to is the Explorer. I hunt with a wide open screen(no disc) and I run the sens in manual with it bordering on being too high. These detectors have a tone ID second to none and a visual crosshair that I have no trouble finding 10 inch deep coins that are predicable on the tones and screen. Fisher CZ's are second, but until you dig many deep coins, rusty iron many times fools the detector. R.L.

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
The F-75 is the most accurate TID machine I have ever used. Being truly honest here, I get very accurate TID to as deep as it detects - which is darn deep. However, I relic hunt at old wooded sites - so razor thin discrimination is not as vital. With F75 I do not dig iron like I have with every other machine I've used. The one down side with F-75 and the stock coil is rusty bottle caps - it has a problem with those showing them as coins sometimes.

Ian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread