Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took the "Little Yeller Feller" to the beach this morning to see how it would perform.? I have read a few posts that said it was no good at the beach.? I'm here to tell you that if performed flawlessly on a local freshwater beach,? I just set the? turn on and go feature on "jewelry" and let it run!? I tested it on the wet sand by the water, in shallow water and on dry sand without a hitch.? I didn't stay long enogh to find a treasure but in about an hour I dug up $.73 in clad, a bullet,? a costume mens ring, a few pull tabs and some melted clumps of aluminum from old camp fires.? The little guy really sang out on the ring and I thought sure it was silver as I could see some engraving on the inside.? But alas it is stainless steel with some kind of agate looking stone.? As hard as I tried I could not get it to read .925.? Sigh.....? Most of the targets were picked up where the dry sand meets the wet sand between 2 and 4".? The lake had been up and had dropped about 4' since last week exposing much more of the beach.? A few patches of black sand was encountered but it didn't effect the ACE 250 to near the degree it did my GTI 2500.? ?I would guess the 2500 is a lot more sensitive?? Anyway, I thought about posting pictures but all of you have seen clad and the fake ring doesn't merit it.? ? ? JIM

Upvote 0

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool jim!! Thanx for the info on the ace.HH

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
Nice finds Jimmy! I think the people that posted that the Ace 250 didn't work good on the beach, were referring to the ocean near the wet sand. They all seem to get a lot of chattering/falseing from the heavy salt.

HH 8) surfrat

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Jim,

thanks for the info. I was wondering how a 250 would do on a fresh water beach. Garrett 2005 Buyers Guide says that it is not recommended for beach/surf. Could be a salt water thing. Again, thanks for the info. Hope you enjoyed your morning at the beach.

you and yours have a good un.
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never did make a sand scoop. I have a plastic scoop a forum member sent to me and I just scoop a little and hit it with the detector until I get a signal and then I know it's in the scoop. Only problems is deep targets. JIM

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job Jim,

salt water beaches are where the 250 doesn't preform very well,

no problem on fresh water beaches though!

HH

Lonewolfe

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
ill tell ya........the ace 250 does pretty good at the beach as long as your not in the surf.then it chatters and falses. in the wet sand out of the surf it works just fine.

miester

May 21, 2005
Wi
Ah Ha! Thanks hollow, I tried mine on L.Michigan and according to my ace the whole place was a gold mine. You mentioned about the waves that may have been my problem as the day I tried the water the waves were large. I'll have to give it one more swing on a calm day. When you do the water what senitivity level works best for you.?

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the sensitivity at the 4th bar and just ran it on jewelry mode and it did fine in lake water.....Didn't go in much over a foot or so was afraid I might drop it and fry the electronics! If anyone would , it'd be me! JIM

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
hey meister,i wasnt able to detect IN the water or in the very wet sand where the waves were crashing. the salt water screws up th ace 250s ability to function properly. what i meant was in the wet sand where the waves are not crashing it did fine,with about 4 bars of sensativity. hope this helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread