Ace 250 on ocean beach

Larry-in-VT

Greenie
May 30, 2005
Hello all - I've lurked around here for quite a while, but now I have a question/observation about my ACE 250.
I've had this machine for a little over a year now and have had a ton of fun finding coins and other junk around my area. I decided to take it on vacation with us to the Outer Banks in NC and try it out in the sand while I was touching up my tan. Now, I did search the forum and found that the general consensus was that the Ace was OK to use inthe dry sand but wet sand would drive it nuts with false signals. So, today I took it wiht us to the beach and worked with it in the dry sand, finding a few clad pennies and some junk. After working in the dry sand I ventured out to the wet sand and the water line. As I approched the wet sand I braced mywelf for an assult of beeps, pings, and bells ... there was silence! I worked around the wet sand and didn't find anything other than a rusty nail and a piece of aluminium window frame - but I found stuff without a bombardment of false signals. So I'm puzzled - do I have an exception in the Ace? Or is it the nature of the beach here in Corolla NC? I'm just curious if any other Ace users have had like experiences.

Thanks for readin',
Larry

Upvote 0

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I've read several people saying that it doesn't work in sand also, but I've never had a problem around here in the OBX/VA Beach areas. It might possibly have something to do with the sand, but from my understanding it is the salt that creates false positives with the lower end VLF style detectors. Thats why it is recommended if you do alot of beach hunting to purchase a PI detector.

Be careful down in the OBX area, there are a few beaches that are off limits to detecting, and if your caught on them, the wardens have the option to take away your detector.

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
cryptodave said:
I've read several people saying that it doesn't work in sand also, but I've never had a problem around here in the OBX/VA Beach areas. It might possibly have something to do with the sand, but from my understanding it is the salt that creates false positives with the lower end VLF style detectors. Thats why it is recommended if you do alot of beach hunting to purchase a PI detector.

Be careful down in the OBX area, there are a few beaches that are off limits to detecting, and if your caught on them, the wardens have the option to take away your detector.

I've read on other posts that the 250 doesn't work on the wet salty sand. Works well on the dry sand though.

As far as hunting the Outer Banks, I believe you can't hunt on the National Seashore which would be about just North of the Bridge to Hatteras Island to Ocracoke Island.

HH 8) surfrat

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
did you try it just in the wet sand or the really wet sand in the surf. in the real wet sand and surf the salt water will mess with the ace. in the not so saturated sand and dry sand it will do fine.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
surfrat96 said:
Beach Detecting Allowed Detecting Not Allowed

Nags Head North of Oregon Inlet

Kill Devil Hills to Nags Head line

Kitty Hawk Hatteras Island

Southern Shores Ocracoke Island

Duck

Corolla

North to VA. Stateline

Check out for more info on hunting the OBX: http://www.outerbanksnc.net/ship.html

HH 8) surfrat

yes, yes I know what the internet and everything else says, but the most important thing is that I LIVE HERE. I've dealt with the jag-offs in uniform more than I want to talk about. Oh, and by the way, North to the VA line is completely incorrect. It is a Wildlife preserve all the way to Sandbridge.

OP
OP
L

Larry-in-VT

Greenie
May 30, 2005
[/quote]

No problem here in Corolla. I checked last year, and again this year, with the local law enforcement. Thanks for the warning though.

OP
OP
L

Larry-in-VT

Greenie
May 30, 2005
hollowpointred said:
did you try it just in the wet sand or the really wet sand in the surf. in the real wet sand and surf the salt water will mess with the ace. in the not so saturated sand and dry sand it will do fine.

I was right up in the REALLY wet stuff - as the waves would recede from the beach I'd dash in to make a few swings. The only times I got false indications is if I touched the coil when I was swinging. Thanks for the input.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
wow i dont know. ??? how high did you have your sensativity set at? when i tried that, i got a lot of falsing. ....i wouldnt argue with results though! if its working for you,keep at it! :)

OP
OP
L

Larry-in-VT

Greenie
May 30, 2005
hollowpointred said:
wow i dont know. ??? how high did you have your sensativity set at? when i tried that, i got a lot of falsing. ....i wouldnt argue with results though! if its working for you,keep at it! :)

I've got the sensitivity set at 4 bars - I think this is the recommended setting for general use. I did turn the sensitivity up and THEN I would get falsing. I'll play with it some more this afternoon.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Larry, I didn't know you were only in the Corrola area. As far as I know it is completely ok all the way to the last beach past the light house. Don't mess with the horses, they will stomp you... lol! Seriously though, after that last beach access it goes into 4 wheel drive territory up to a little community called Swan Beach, and then past that Carova, both are WITHIN the nature preserve. They were grandfathered in, and only the original residents or the immediate relatives are allowed to live there. Its actually quite interesting, and very pretty out there.
If you can rent a boat and go out on the sound to Monkey Island, you should have a good day. It was a hunting lodge for years and years (50~70 years), and some very famous people stayed there at one point or another. Its been defunct for about 11~15 years now, and the bulkhead is starting to fall into the sound. The county owns it, but has done nothing to it, nor is it declared a park, so it is free to detect.

OP
OP
L

Larry-in-VT

Greenie
May 30, 2005
We've been coming down here to the Corolla area every spring for about 10 years now. Last year a huge nor' easter came through just before we arrived and ripped a lot of the beach away. I watched two guys and a women work the beaches in the Whalehead area for two days. I talked to one of the guys and he had some nice loot to show for his efforts - some nice rings and old coins. No such luck for me though - all I can come up with is rusty nails and a few pennies. I'm plesantly amazed on how junk free the beaches are here! Thanks for the info.

S

Sand Digger

Re: Ace 250 on ocean beach No problems here

I use it three nights a week at the beach and I get no falsing in the wet sand. Great beach hunter with my 9x12 coil.

OP
OP
L

Larry-in-VT

Greenie
May 30, 2005
Re: Ace 250 on ocean beach No problems here

Sand Digger said:
I use it three nights a week at the beach and I get no falsing in the wet sand. Great beach hunter with my 9x12 coil.

I'm ordering the larger coil as soon as we get back home. I wish I had it here with me now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions