Trokair

Mar 26, 2010
Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always wanted to try my hand at some metal detecting. Luckily I stumbled across this website during some coin collecting research and it really got my intrest perked to purchase a detector and try my hand. This of course lead me to the first question "Which one do I get?". After carefull consideration of multiple models and realizing how I learn new skills I've decided on the following criteria:

Low Price - Up to $250
Durability - Look to get a few years out of my first
Must have a digital display - This will help me learn the tones to get to All-Metal mode (and possibly pass it on to friends/family)
Headphones - Must include a headphone jack

The area I will be doing most of my hunting in will be Northern Virginia and the Eastern Shore of Maryland, possibly the beaches as well (from my reading salt is an issue for most <$400 models?). My focus is coins however the real goal is to do All-Metal and search through the whole spectrum.

Following that criteria I targeted two starter detectors, the Garrett Ace 250 and White's Coinmaster. Both models have overwhelmingly positive feedback both here and on other research sites. The Ace 250 has a really great 2 part video on YouTube about using it however I could not locate any video on the Coinmaster.

Bottom line is this - I need my first detector and these two look like great choices. So which one would you give you your closest friend who was looking to try detecting for the first time?

PS. If you have a better model in mind that fits the bill, please suggest it so I can research and test it as well. And thanks for the help :headbang:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garrett Ace 250 will give you the most bang for the buck. :thumbsup:

RWJR13

Apr 25, 2007
MESQUITE, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT & Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used the ACE 250 and Coinmaster, which is the same as the Prizm 3 as far as operation....My humble opinion is the ID is better on the Coinmaster....Not as much delay....

EddieR

Mar 1, 2005
Madisonville, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MXT,..Tesoro Vaquero, Silver UMax, Compadre, Tejon,..BH LandRanger..Pioneer 505.. GC1023..Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000, Eurotek Pro..Fisher F2, F4, F5, F70
The 250 is okay, but the Coinmaster beats it, just my lowly opinion. However, check out the Fisher F2 and the Technetics Delta 4000 before you make a decision.

I have all 4 of them, and my favorite by far is the Delta 4000.

OP
OP
Trokair

Trokair

Mar 26, 2010
Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the replies. Due to a recent string of luck however, my budget for MD just shot through the roof so I think I'm actually going to go with White's Spectra V3. I don't think I would be content for long pulling up clad all day and if I want my best chance at finding any silver I should probably just jump in the deep end and teach myself to swim. I'll be out to my local shop to purchase it in 2 days :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions