ace 250 or tesoro silver umax

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wolverine...Think you will get as many posts for each machine....I have the Ace and love it. Swampfox traded a silver u max for an Ace and he loves it...rmpt traded the ace to swampfox and he loves the umax...Either one is a good machine....but I like the ID and depth meter on the Ace. Whichever you choose you will have a good machine...HH

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3rd time this has been posted in 3 weeks
UMAX

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
27th time to post this.

uMax cherry picks MUCH BETTER than the Ace.

uMax gets MUCH BETTER depth in high iron soil.

uMax ignores hot rocks. Ace LOVES hot rocks.

uMax works very well on salt/high iron beaches. Ace does not.

uMax pinpoints substantially better than uMax.

uMax is lighter in weight.

uMax does not have the delayed response that the Ace does. This means that the beeps are dead center on the uMax and on each side of the target with the Ace.

uMax does a better job finding silver coins and gold rings than the Ace. Ace is a bit better at finding clad quarters and nails, iron scrap.

uMax works quite well as a nugget hunter. Ace sucks. REALLY sucks!

Ace works MUCH BETTER as a boat anchor, especially when filled with cement.

Eight inches?

Neither one has that capacity in average soil, even with a larger coil. And unless the soil is quite weak few $1000-$4000 detectors have that capability either.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EasyMoney said:
27th time to post this.

uMax cherry picks MUCH BETTER than the Ace.

uMax gets MUCH BETTER depth in high iron soil.

uMax ignores hot rocks. Ace LOVES hot rocks.

uMax works very well on salt/high iron beaches. Ace does not.

uMax pinpoints substantially better than uMax.

uMax is lighter in weight.

uMax does not have the delayed response that the Ace does. This means that the beeps are dead center on the uMax and on each side of the target with the Ace.

uMax does a better job finding silver coins and gold rings than the Ace. Ace is a bit better at finding clad quarters and nails, iron scrap.

uMax works quite well as a nugget hunter. Ace sucks. REALLY sucks!

Ace works MUCH BETTER as a boat anchor, especially when filled with cement.

Eight inches?

Neither one has that capacity in average soil, even with a larger coil. And unless the soil is quite weak few $1000-$4000 detectors have that capability either.
LOL..Glad you love the ACE. To each his on.

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
He he...

I'm just telling the truth SC, no need to BS anybody, the uMax is a superior detector, that's all there is to it.

If anyone wants to ignore fine gold and find more iron junk and clad quarters, get the Ace, you won't be dissatisfied.

I used to own one, as in past tense. It now sits in my daughter's closet collecting dust. She wants to trade in in for a Tesoro, having seen the difference between them side-by-side..

EasyMoney

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EasyMoney said:
He he...

I'm just telling the truth SC, no need to BS anybody, the uMax is a superior detector, that's all there is to it.

If anyone wants to ignore fine gold and find more iron crap and clad quarters, get the Ace, you won't be dissatisfied.

I used to own one, as in past tense. It now sits in my daughter's closet collecting dust. She wants to trade in in for a Tesoro, having seen the difference between them side-by-side..

EasyMoney
Guess I just live in a better part of the country than you do...I have had no problem finding anything...tell you what..u keep the umax and I'll keep my Ace and we will be one happy family...lol Oh..btw...I forgot to mention...I tried the umax and...hmmm..it sucked for me..lol

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Lower Mainland Vancouver,BC
Detector(s) used
To many to say
I prefere the Tesoro but then I'm a beep and dig guy that's why I like my Troy X5 so much its good to me and the Tesoro's I have come fairly close. Lots of people really like those machines that tell them everything except whats really in the ground. Dan 8)

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wolverine,
find a dealer that handles both machines and give each one a try...see which one you like most and don't forget to also compare features...one of those machines has a visual display that helps with pinpointing and in giving the approximate depth of the target. the other one looks like it was made in a local high school shop class ;D as far as hot rocks and iron, the ace doesn't love them anymore than the White's i have used...either way have fun

Marauder Dan

Aug 24, 2005
I love my Tesoro Silver U MAX!! the little sucker is so sensitive and finds the smallest stuff possible if you please,the light weight ,one battery and simple as hell controls make it a major winner to me!I had a Radio shack discovery 2200 for the past few years and liked it most of the time ,but some times it would pickup the shitty hot rocks and the ID thing would get confused ,the 2. 9 volts were a pain and the God awfull grey color was getting to me!! what I thought was a handicap having the Tesoro with only one tone and no target ID is actually a blessing to me to learn my detecor better! I love my Silver U!!

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wolverine said:
what do you think is the better machine ,and which one has the greatest depth?
i want something that will go at least 8 inches through dirt to find coins.

A reliable 8" on coins in typical dirt will cost you about 3X the money of those two detectors. Of the newer machines out the X70, F70, or T2 are probably the best bang for the buck that you can count on for what you want. Still no word on the F5 but it "might" do the job and is cheaper still.

Tom

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tried almost everything made since the late 60's
The Ace 250 is a good starter TID machine. It won't get 8" in an air test for coins though. The Silver Umax is a professional machine at a starter price. Great discrimination and great depth. Depends on the ground as to whether you'll get 8" on coins though. In reality, few machines will on a regular basis.

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
I have been MDing since 1962 & have used tesoro's & garretts since they came out.
IMO ANY Tesoro will out preform a 250 . I think a beginner starting out with a 250 will have a harder time becoming a good detectorist. Relying on the TID dosen't sharpen the ability to discern the subtle differences in the audio response. IMO I can't stand that stupid bell tone

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, I have come to the conclusion that it is a good thing we all don't like the same things. If we did, it would be a mighty dull world. As far as which is a better machine...who the heck knows...a machine is only as good as the operator ...PERIOD. Even the "cheap" detectors will perform...I have used the umax and didn't like it..I used the BH Tracker IV and loved it..but, I like the depth reading on the ACE and yes..it is pretty darn accurate on mine....So, again, to each his own.

docbars

Oct 15, 2007
SOUTHEAST OHIO
Detector(s) used
V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wolerine

This is my exp., the Tesoro will make those green machines look like radio shack specials. Tesoros have better disc. and a ton more depth.

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The ace WILL NOT work well in wet sand...you will have to run the sens very low....and the silver umax will pick up on things the ace will miss in the field.

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey

I have realized after learning about detecting over the past 2 years that Graphic ID machines are nice, but TID's are better...why? When you are trying to find your target, your ears will help you much more than constantly looking at an lcd screen and expecting the target to be at that exact depth....Also, the target screen is not always correct...my machine always tells me that a nickel is anything but a nickel..lol

I did that with my ace at first, then realized I was wasting my time, so I learned to just use my ears and I found almost every target!

This is why my next machine will be a silver umax so i wont be temped to look at an lcd screen and then be let down by the results...

Yeah graphic Id's are nice, but mine has never been very accurate

Larry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread